If you take HPSP but also get a scholarship from the dental school do you get to keep the scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothmountain194

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It will help you the most to make an appointment to speak with the financial aid director at your intended dental school and see how they handle combining two scholarship sources.
Also look at the exact wording of each scholarship before you have this meeting.
If one scholarship says "tuition & fees" and the other says "up to total cost of attendance" (which would mean it includes living expenses) then that's probably how the two will be combined.
You won't end up with double the cost of attendance awarded to you with the excess available to spend freely, as cool as that might sound.

Congratulations on your funding for school!

Reactions: 1 users
I got both a merit scholarship and HPSP during dental school (feels weird saying that as I’m a new graduate!)

My account had a negative balance and I was able to cash it out. I gave the money to my parents for helping me buy a condo and for supporting me.

So the answer is yes, but may depend on how your school does it’s financial aid.

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely depends on the school. Some let you keep it; some take it back. Contact and ask

If the scholarship can only be used for tuition, you’ll likely be saving Uncle Sam some money. The school will just end up billing the government less.

If it can be used for any educational expense, you’ll likely have an “overage” on your account that will be “refunded” to you.

Like @averageasian, I was able to go pocket some scholarship money because it wasn’t just limited to tuition. The same applies to using the GI Bill and getting additional scholarships.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
If the scholarship can only be used for tuition, you’ll likely be saving Uncle Sam some money. The school will just end up billing the government less.

If it can be used for any educational expense, you’ll likely have an “overage” on your account that will be “refunded” to you.

Like @averageasian, I was able to go pocket some scholarship money because it wasn’t just limited to tuition. The same applies to using the GI Bill and getting additional scholarships.

Big Hoss
A prime example of why hpsp can be amazing.

For once in my life I wasn’t an “average Asian”

• Haha