How do I know if I'm instate??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ukee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm basically a military brat and have lived all over the place so I really don't have instate residency anywhere!

Anyway, I've been working in NY now for a year, I registered to vote here and paid taxes here for over a year, I just dont have a NY license because I've decided not to own a car here. I applied to Stony Brook as a NY resident and got accepted. (YAY ME!) I'm going to be paying the instate deposit, but will there come a time later on when they'll tell me I'm actually not to be considered a NY resident?

If that's the case then I should just accept at UK, I know they have outrageous OOS tuition, but Kentucky is wonderful about giving scholarships.

So basically I'm asking, since they're having me pay the instate deposit, does that mean I'll be paying in state tuition as well?

Who would I even ask about that? Do you think admissions would know anything since they're not the ones charging the fees.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm basically a military brat and have lived all over the place so I really don't have instate residency anywhere!

Anyway, I've been working in NY now for a year, I registered to vote here and paid taxes here for over a year, I just dont have a NY license because I've decided not to own a car here. I applied to Stony Brook as a NY resident and got accepted. (YAY ME!) I'm going to be paying the instate deposit, but will there come a time later on when they'll tell me I'm actually not to be considered a NY resident?

If that's the case then I should just accept at UK, I know they have outrageous OOS tuition, but Kentucky is wonderful about giving scholarships.

So basically I'm asking, since they're having me pay the instate deposit, does that mean I'll be paying in state tuition as well?

Who would I even ask about that? Do you think admissions would know anything since they're not the ones charging the fees.

I'm not sure you're gonna like what I have to say, but coming from another military brat (AF) I'm OOS...I wish I could get in-state, but they went off of my parents state of residency even though I had a different license, so I was OOS. You may have to contact them to see what they have to say, but in my case it didn't work :( good luck!

I'm not sure you're gonna like what I have to say, but coming from another military brat (AF) I'm OOS...I wish I could get in-state, but they went off of my parents state of residency even though I had a different license, so I was OOS. You may have to contact them to see what they have to say, but in my case it didn't work :( good luck!
As for who to contact, I would ask for the person who gave you the financial aid session...

Members don't see this ad :)
wow I'm AF brat too. Thanks for your input. It donned on me today that they may have taken my word for it on AADSAS, but eventually, someone's gonna come back and check. I'll see what they say tomorrow ... thanks!

wow I'm AF brat too. Thanks for your input. It donned on me today that they may have taken my word for it on AADSAS, but eventually, someone's gonna come back and check. I'll see what they say tomorrow ... thanks!
No way! Where have you been stationed!? Are you doing AF HPSP?

i would assume if they are having you pay the instate deposit then there shouldn't be an issue especially if you've worked and paid taxes for over a year. (i too live in NY without a NY license, however i've only been here since May). I actually moved here from Kentucky and I must say i LOVE UK and i have a cousin currently attending the dental school and he loves it there. so of course i would love if you went to stony brook because that'd be one more spot for someone like me at UK haha but it really is a great school. One of my former classmates just got accepted there with a $20,000 scholarship.

No way! Where have you been stationed!? Are you doing AF HPSP?

I was thinking about it!! I'd love to get stationed in Japan again

but I've lived in SC, TX, VA, HI, and we were also stationed in Germany and Okinawa, Japan woo!!

@flourish09 - when I called today they said since I've taken classes out of state that when they verify my residency, there will be a red flag in the system and there's this long laundry list of documents I have to give them + wait a few weeks and by then it may be too late since the deposits are due in Jan so now I'll either need to hold 2 spots just to see what happens or just go with UK which right now seems to be the best option, plus I instantly fell in love with the place when I interviewed. Maybe we'll be study buddies there!! LOL

I was thinking about it!! I'd love to get stationed in Japan again

but I've lived in SC, TX, VA, HI, and we were also stationed in Germany and Okinawa, Japan woo!!

@flourish09 - when I called today they said since I've taken classes out of state that when they verify my residency, there will be a red flag in the system and there's this long laundry list of documents I have to give them + wait a few weeks and by then it may be too late since the deposits are due in Jan so now I'll either need to hold 2 spots just to see what happens or just go with UK which right now seems to be the best option, plus I instantly fell in love with the place when I interviewed. Maybe we'll be study buddies there!! LOL
Nice! We were NC, TX, OK, AZ, AK, NM, WI, and AK again...no overseas because AK counted as the overseas, but my dad was in South Korea last year and I visited :) I'm hoping for one! I love military life haha

yes UK is wonderfulll & that would be great ! :) good luck with your decision !