how do i quit scribe???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addiec122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You say you quit.

Reactions: 9 users
Tell your chief scribe they have 2 weeks to get replacement.

They aren't willing to work with your schedule, you don't have to work with them

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bravo. You're making the right decision.

Turnover is high with scribing. It's their responsibility to find a replacement, not yours. It's also not acceptable for you to sacrifice your grades and your potential livelihood for them by working beyond 2 weeks. Give a 2 week notice, done. Whatever happens after you give that is not your problem, it is their's. If you feel like bridges have been burned, leave it off your application and resume. It will be like it never existed and there will not be any red flags on your application.

PS: I recently made a post that talked in depth about this. Check it out if you'd like!

Planes2Doc's Ultimate Guide to Final Fantasy 7, Medical School Purgatory, & Typical Pre-Med Missteps

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've quit several $hit jobs.

2 weeks or not, it won't matter. I don't anticipate listing McDonalds on my resume in the near future.

In contrary to some of these replies, I suggest you not burn any bridges that can otherwise come back to haunt you in future if you're still pursuing medicine.

In your OP, you said you can only do two shifts and they give you 2 or 3 shifts? It doesn't seem that bad OP. You should've considered your time management skills before wasting their time because giving you 2/3 shifts instead of your desired 2 is well within working within your schedule.

In contrary to some of these replies, I suggest you not burn any bridges that can otherwise come back to haunt you in future if you're still pursuing medicine.

In your OP, you said you can only do two shifts and they give you 2 or 3 shifts? It doesn't seem that bad OP. You should've considered your time management skills before wasting their time because giving you 2/3 shifts instead of your desired 2 is well within working within your schedule.

Quitting a bad job is not going to impact OP's future in medicine, at all. Poor grades due to keeping a crappy job will hurt OP's prospects in medicine.

OP: As others have said, let your supervisor know that the job is not working out for you. Give a final day 2 weeks in the future. People leave jobs all the time. Especially entry-level/low paying jobs like this. Just be sure you get some clinical exposure somewhere else prior to application time.

Reactions: 6 users

The difference between 2 and 3 shifts a week can actually be pretty significant if you are taking multiple classes (I have a post bacc of over 50 units that I did while scribing 2-3 shifts a week). It can be the difference between having an extra 8 hours to study for an important midterm and getting an A or a B+...

If you have taken on too much, you need to quit the scribe job. It sucks to realize you've bitten off more than you can chew, but better to realize it now, than 2 months from now when your grades suffer. Your grades are more important than a scribing job and whatever tenuous "bridge" you might burn by giving your 2-weeks notice. And to be honest, I really don't know what scribe company has such a far reach into the medical school admissions process that politely giving them your 2-weeks notice would somehow prevent you from one day matriculating into med school. Failing or doing poorly in your classes however will certainly tank you.

Reactions: 5 users
Tell them you underestimated the time commitment and its effects on your grades. They won't care, but at least you didn't just walk out. You also don't have to mention it on AMCAS since it was a couple weeks and probably not a significant experience, so it doesn't matter if they care or not really.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Obviously the scribe company will not have a impact on someones admission but walking into a clinic or hospital naked or making a mockery of the establishment is not the right idea. This could come back to haunt when OP is looking at residency spots

As for the 2-3 shifts, it's not 3 shifts every week, is it? You asked for 2, didn't you. I think they're being fair as they need someone to cover the extra shift every once in a while. By the sounds of it OP, you should probably quit if you can't handle it.

I personally wouldn't work while taking 3 hard science classes either unless I absolutely needed to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Obviously the scribe company will not have a impact on someones admission but walking into a clinic or hospital naked or making a mockery of the establishment is not the right idea. This could come back to haunt when OP is looking at residency spots

As for the 2-3 shifts, it's not 3 shifts every week, is it? You asked for 2, didn't you. I think they're being fair as they need someone to cover the extra shift every once in a while. By the sounds of it OP, you should probably quit if you can't handle it.

I personally wouldn't work while taking 3 hard science classes either unless I absolutely needed to.

Well the problem is when they are 8 hour shifts, 3 shifts become 24...that's 24 hours i could use studying...in all honesty, i do not NEED the money, i knew coming in that it was going to be hard, but i got the opportunity and i really wanted to make it work...however, i am slowly sinking in unread chapters and i have 2 exams next week (phys and ochem). I received an A in ochem last semester and i was not working, i decided to go out of my comfort zone and become a scribe and now i dont know if i should quit or not!

Quitting a bad job is not going to impact OP's future in medicine, at all. Poor grades due to keeping a crappy job will hurt OP's prospects in medicine.

OP: As others have said, let your supervisor know that the job is not working out for you. Give a final day 2 weeks in the future. People leave jobs all the time. Especially entry-level/low paying jobs like this. Just be sure you get some clinical exposure somewhere else prior to application time.
Thanks! i have plenty of volunteer hours and shadowing, also a great doctor who can write me a letter of rec..this was just something else i decided i wanted to do but now it is become really difficult.

If you are feeling froggy, you can send your boss a quote my grandpa gave me "I'm quitting to pursue my dream of not working here."

Edit: In all seriousness, I left a job because of the amount of credits I was taking at my university. I told them in a "nice manner" that my school meant more than any job ever will. I still use them as a reference. Also, NEVER burn a bridge, because you never know what the future holds with this person. Good luck OP.

Last edited:
my manager is extremely intimidating and she will make me feel horrible for quitting, i know it!

Send her a txt if that makes it easier

Jesus.

Just grow a set (of balls or ovaries) and put your notice in. First of all, she is a person and you are a person. No matter how she acts, you ultimately choose how to feel. If you decide that you aren't going to feel horrible for quitting because you have legitimate reasons (which you do), then nothing she says can make you feel horrible if you remind yourself of those reasons.

Second, a professional adult doesn't quit a job via text. That's something kids do.

Unless the OP is applying to residency in this hospital and is shooting for emergency medicine, then there is a very remote possibility that this would happen. But four to five years later and countless pre-meds with expected high turnover affecting any future career choices is similar to winning a large scratch-off lottery jackpot. Don't forget that this is an expected high turnover field, otherwise they would not be hiring pre-meds in the first place. No one is going to get butt-hurt here.

Plus those shifts can make all the difference. In fact, with the difficulty of some courses, even an extra 2-3 hours can make a lot of difference as well.

As I've said before, it's not worth putting the rest of your life on the line for some stranger that would fire you in a heartbeat.

OP there is absolutely no chance that quitting will affect you when applying for residency in 5+ years. Tjats just some SDN scare tactic utter nonsense. You aren't making a mockery of healthcare by quitting your scribe job.

You aren't making a mockery of healthcare by quitting your scribe job.

Haha, good one! :p

Not to be rude to the OP, but this kind of neuroticism is more or less funny. My cousin is general manager and part-owner at a high volume car dealership. Auto sales has one of the highest turnover rates in any industry. He says that a two-week notice is a joke, and people literally just tell you to go "**** yourself" and walk out the door. If scribe companies were horribly impacted by high turnover, then they would be hiring people with high school diplomas that set out to do this as a career (like medical assisting) or vocational training would be required (thus you would see non-stop commercials for becoming a scribe during daytime TV while watching the Maury show). But that's not the case.

where-do-medical-assistants-work-2-728.jpg

Haha, good one! :p

Not to be rude to the OP, but this kind of neuroticism is more or less funny. My cousin is general manager and part-owner at a high volume car dealership. Auto sales has one of the highest turnover rates in any industry. He says that a two-week notice is a joke, and people literally just tell you to go "**** yourself" and walk out the door. If scribe companies were horribly impacted by high turnover, then they would be hiring people with high school diplomas that set out to do this as a career (like medical assisting) or vocational training would be required (thus you would see non-stop commercials for becoming a scribe during daytime TV while watching the Maury show). But that's not the case.

where-do-medical-assistants-work-2-728.jpg

I was quoting the above poster who said OP will be making "a mockery of the establishment by quitting."

Idk what scribe agency OP works at, but mine made me sign something upon being hired stating they could fire me for any reason "without cause" or that I could quit "without cause." One of the two people I trained with already quit. Scribes quitting/being fired is literally built into their business model.

OP, scribing is great when you're ready for it. I learned a lot already, but I also have a schedule conducive to my taking advantage of this opportunity. You don't, and frankly it's unfortunate when I come on SDN and I see someone in OPs position being told to suck it up and do more. That attitude is a huge reason why so many medical students have symptoms of anxiety and depression.

To reiterate OP, if you want to quit, do so, and don't feel bad for the gigantic corporation that hired you. They will be fine.

I was quoting the above poster who said OP will be making "a mockery of the establishment by quitting."

Idk what scribe agency OP works at, but mine made me sign something upon being hired stating they could fire me for any reason "without cause" or that I could quit "without cause." One of the two people I trained with already quit. Scribes quitting/being fired is literally built into their business model.

OP, scribing is great when you're ready for it. I learned a lot already, but I also have a schedule conducive to my taking advantage of this opportunity. You don't, and frankly it's unfortunate when I come on SDN and I see someone in OPs position being told to suck it up and do more. That attitude is a huge reason why so many medical students have symptoms of anxiety and depression.

To reiterate OP, if you want to quit, do so, and don't feel bad for the gigantic corporation that hired you. They will be fine.

Yeah I know. I was implying what you said was correct, and that it was directed at the OP. Sorry if this was perceived somehow different! I 100% agree with everything you said!

Yeah I know. I was implying what you said was correct, and that it was directed at the OP. Sorry if this was perceived somehow different! I 100% agree with everything you said!

All good man I knew what you were saying, I'm just still completely dumbfounded that someone on here suggested this would hurt OPs residency chances. SMH

All good man I knew what you were saying, I'm just still completely dumbfounded that someone on here suggested this would hurt OPs residency chances. SMH

SDN neuroticism at its finest, where every thing you do will negatively impact your future.

Yes. Same here! If someone quits this high-turnover job for any legitimate reason, two week notice or not, it won't affect chances. If the OP makes a big scene in front of people, tells the manager to **** themselves, and walks out with bilateral one finger salutes, then word might get around. Otherwise, you hit the mark that pre-meds are getting way too neurotic, and this is causing way more stress than is needed.

Pre-meds are also forgetting that at the end of the day, these entry-level clinical jobs are not required for success in medical school and beyond.

Sort of related but I left my scribe job after about 4 months. Do you think I can at least still put this as an activity for applying to schools? It is a valuable experience (I think everyone here can sort of agree on that) so I would hate to say I never did it when I did.

Sort of related but I left my scribe job after about 4 months. Do you think I can at least still put this as an activity for applying to schools? It is a valuable experience (I think everyone here can sort of agree on that) so I would hate to say I never did it when I did.

Yes you can (and I would) list your 4 month scribe experience. Training, learning EMR, etc. are all things that will look good for your app.

In many professions, you should give your two weeks notice verbally, then write a resignation a letter. Look up examples on the internet. You can give it to her after you talk in person. Do it as professionally as possible and enjoy having more time to study. It's definitely an uncomfortable experience, but will likely not be your last.

So if I pick the soup instead of the salad, will my chances of getting a pulmonary critical care fellowship be eliminated? :(

It may be possible to get a pulmonary critical care fellowship if you order the soup, but only if you aren't concerned about location. If you want to match on the coasts then you will need to order the salad.

Reactions: 2 users
It may be possible to get a pulmonary critical care fellowship if you order the soup, but only if you aren't concerned about location. If you want to match on the coasts then you will need to order the salad.

Ugh! What’s next? You’ll tell me that I need to eat my burgers with mayo?

classes>>>>scribe. quit. it's okay to be selfish

classes>>>>scribe. quit. it's okay to be selfish

I wouldn’t even call this selfish. In fact, if a scribe company makes you sign a minimum commitment and then make you practically forfeit your hours (if they say you are ineligible for rehire when called) if you need to quit because of school, then they are being selfish. If companies absolutely need to retain people, they should be hiring out high school graduates or vocational program graduates that plan to do this as a career. Don’t dangle the carrot in front of pre-meds that you know will quit, and then create ridiculous expectations for them.

I went to my employer and told her to her face, "Today's my last day", handed her a letter saying "Today's my last day", walked out with a fat smile on my face. Nothing should get in the way of your passions/dreams.