MD How do I set up and use anki for studying for step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredaboutsteps

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first thread on here. I joined because of my name exactly.

So basically I have seen a lot of people swear by anki(bros) and I can't seem to understand how to use the app well.

Please can someone tell me all the steps to setting up the bros deck on my anki

Also is anyone has an anki-step 1 advice I'd be more than happy to receive it.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! This is my first thread on here. I joined because of my name exactly.

So basically I have seen a lot of people swear by anki(bros) and I can't seem to understand how to use the app well.

Please can someone tell me all the steps to setting up the bros deck on my anki

Also is anyone has an anki-step 1 advice I'd be more than happy to receive it.

Thanks in advance

It depends, are you a first or second year? If you're a second year, then how are you doing in class/rank? If you've made it this far then you don't really need Anki. Anki is overblown. People just don't trust their own memory sometimes. Ended up in top 10% of class without using any flashcards at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Download Anki if you haven't already, download the Bros deck, open Anki and go to File, then click import, import the Bros deck, once it's imported, click on any deck, then click on Options, change "New cards/day" from 10 to a high number (mine is 9999), click okay. Then, whenever you feel like doing flashcards, click on your weakest section in the Bros deck and go to town.

How anki works is that it will hide your easiest flashcards so that you see them rarely (because you know the topic) and will keep the difficult cards common (so you'll see them often and eventually get it down).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends, are you a first or second year? If you're a second year, then how are you doing in class/rank? If you've made it this far then you don't really need Anki. Anki is overblown. People just don't trust their own memory sometimes. Ended up in top 10% of class without using any flashcards at all.

Hey I'm at the very end of my second year. I don't know my class ranking but my WMPG is over 90. I'm panicking and at the point where I'm scrambling and looking for any resource that can help me in steps. (taking it in March next year).

Download Anki if you haven't already, download the Bros deck, open Anki and go to File, then click import, import the Bros deck, once it's imported, click on any deck, then click on Options, change "New cards/day" from 10 to a high number (mine is 9999), click okay. Then, whenever you feel like doing flashcards, click on your weakest section in the Bros deck and go to town.

How anki works is that it will hide your easiest flashcards so that you see them rarely (because you know the topic) and will keep the difficult cards common (so you'll see them often and eventually get it down).

Thanks! I'm gonna try it and see how the app is. If I have any problems, I hope you don't mind me quoting you again and asking.

Thanks! I'm gonna try it and see how the app is. If I have any problems, I hope you don't mind me quoting you again and asking.
Start reading the Manual Anki Manual
You will have tons of questions - i will answer them promptly.
chapters Browser and Deck Options are must to know.

Last edited:

I mostly followed the advice here. Having a "master deck" is really important and I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

I'm not sure a deck like bros is a good idea at this point. How much time can you dedicate to it without taking away from other, arguably more important things like qbanks? For reference I add about 50 new cards per day. With that and keeping up with reviews I spend an hour per day. Depending on how much time you can spend per day, it's pretty likely that you'll only get through half the deck or so. Tons of people have done well on the exam without anki. You should consider those options imo

Last edited: