how do i shadow an optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiggy99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do i shadow a optometrist?

Members don't see this ad.

how do i shadow a optometrist?

Start with your optometrist and ask if you can shadow X amount of time. When there, ask if he knows other optometrists who would be open to the idea of letting a student shadow for an afternoon or so. This is how I did it and just ended up branching outwards. Most of them are very friendly and they should have no problem saying yes as long as you ask nicely and respect their time and schedule.

That's a great suggestion. Also, if there's a particular doctor you want to shadow (interesting specialty, convenient location for you, etc), you can always try calling their office. Just explain that you are applying to optometry school or are interested in learning more about the profession and chances are they will be happy to have you for a day or two. It worked for me. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When you shadow someone, are you supposed to have them write something or do something so that the optometry schools know you aren't fabricating your experience? Especially for schools that require a certain amount of hours of shadowing... how do they know you really did go to those places you claim?

Some schools will require you to tell them how many total hours you shadowed an OD on the application. Usually, they will also ask you for a contact number for your shadowing OD so that they can verify your hours.

well, if you have nothing productive to say then dont comment at all!!! No one is forcing you to click on my topic!!!! troll...:mad:

Pick up the phone and call a handful of nearby Optometrists, saying you want to shadow a few hours at a time 1 or 2 days a week. Plus, be ready to ask questions and jot down stuff on a clipboard.

I personally found it helpful to commit a day towards visiting the optometrist area of practice. You are most likely to run into techs, who will relay the message for you (usually to no avail), but don't let that deter you. Some of my best experiences with the Dr. was established by the techs. Also, express your desire with friends and family. It's amazing the kind of connections people have on the down low.

I can't tell you what to do when you are shadowing. Besides common etiquette, Shadowing an optometrist can rang from just you observing, to a very active participation. It really depends on the Doctor. However, I would at least have a couple of questions towards the profession, just in case the Dr. is not that at all engaging