How do I stop being a gunner?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@deweystrontium
gun·ner
/ˈɡənər/
noun
This gem of a term was originally intended to allude to artillery in that, they would shoot down those who flew ahead or over them. Though you are competitive and seem to be enjoying yourself, you are not shooting anyone down to prevent them from getting ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

This is healthy if this is what you enjoy doing. If this fulfills you as a person, then it is no problem, under the assumption that you do not "rub" your accomplishments in people's faces but subtly allowing others to recognize your strengths. As for what your girlfriend's response, think of it as a test. Girlfriends will always test you in one way or another, whether they know that or not. Will he back down from doing what he loves because I teased him about it? Stay on your course and do what you enjoy, but be sure to also listen to her needs without flat out surrendering to them. If she notes you're always busy, don't make it a big deal out of it, but be sure to take her out on a date a few days later. Relationships are all "push and pull". Ironically, my girlfriend and I broke up today, due to circumstances that relate to being a premed, although we still loved one another. Sometimes, its best to let go of those you love when you know they are better off in the long run.

Not everything is a s**t test. Some people actually enjoy their relationships and get sad when the person they love doesn’t seem to be into it anymore because of school/work/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe try starting a hobby, preferably something that your S/O enjoys too? That way, not every one of your waking thoughts are about the premed process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to point out that everybody saying YEAH BRO GO HARD F*** YOUR PERSONAL LIFE is not actually in med school yet. I think the transition away from that attitude happened for me & my classmates sometime during M2 year lol.

Without my personal life, idk if i would have survived M1 and M2.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, and OP, just in case this wasn't clear, when I said it was important to spend time with family and friends, I was lumping significant others into that category. It's important to spend time on your core relationships, especially partnerships.

There's nothing wrong with competing with yourself or others, as long as you don't take it too seriously and it promotes social harmony. Playfulness (which is separable from competitiveness) can be an intrinsically joyful way of experiencing everyday social interactions and tasks, and that's the way of being that I was advocating in my previous post.

Another concern I noticed in your first post is that you sound like you might be very extrinsically motivated by approval from others and recognition. Generally speaking, extrinsic motivations tend to be flimsy and ultimately unfulfilling reasons to do something. To make the sacrifices that medicine entails, we need intrinsic motivation, a complex set of experiences, feelings, goals and values that sustains us to keep going even when it's hard, even when no one knows or cares what we're doing--or even worse, when people whose opinions we care about actually do know about it and disapprove of and doubt you because you look like an unrealistic, foolish perfectionist, or because you're doing something that's not in your self interest because there's something you care about more than yourself.

What would you fight for and what would sustain you even in the absence of any external gratification, or even in the presence of active doubt and disapproval from others (which it sounds like you might not enjoy the feeling of)? The approval that comes with getting into a fancy MD school, a larger paycheck, prestige? Or the desire to form therapeutic relationships with patients and to help them feel and function better as much as you can?

On that note, you also need to take care to not act like a perfectionist. It's important to know how to prioritize based on your values and what you care about at the end of the day when no one is watching. However, it's also also important to know when to fold, to say "good enough", to surrender, especially when it comes to writing those papers you mentioned, for instance. It's also important to know how and when to split larger long-term projects into smaller, relatively manageable chunks. Like it says in the Scrubs theme song: "I'm no superman".

Reactions: 3 users
The “b*tches ain’t shut but hoes n tricks” attitude on SDN always cracks me up.

That’s the most stupid attitude period. Go waste valuable time in your short life chasing basic women with daddy issues... how fulfilling. What a low goal to strive for.

You sound like you need to get laid tho

Keep this stupid Bro stuff on another forum, thanks! Please respond with helpful advice.

Closing - thread answered.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.