How do I study anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFifthEye

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First year student at an MBBS program here. I recently started my anatomy block, and I'm already freaking out. So how am I supposed to study anatomy?

I have these options and have no idea what order I should do them in, and which to skip:

• Study from Netters/Rohen
  • Watch the lecture at 1.5x
  • Study lecture (powerpoint)
  • Study from Moore's
  • Do Qbanks (e.g. UMich, BRS, Gray's)
  • Draw stuff out
  • ANKI (a pre-made netter's flashcards deck or maybe I should make my own?) and physical Netter's flashcards
  • Youtube (?)

What do you guys think I should do? And in what order?

Thanks a lot in advance <3

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

First year student at an MBBS program here. I recently started my anatomy block, and I'm already freaking out. So how am I supposed to study anatomy?

I have these options and have no idea what order I should do them in, and which to skip:

• Study from Netters/Rohen
  • Watch the lecture at 1.5x
  • Study lecture (powerpoint)
  • Study from Moore's
  • Do Qbanks (e.g. UMich, BRS, Gray's)
  • Draw stuff out
  • ANKI (a pre-made netter's flashcards deck or maybe I should make my own?) and physical Netter's flashcards
  • Youtube (?)

What do you guys think I should do? And in what order?

Thanks a lot in advance <3
I use almost all the sources you have listed.
Listen to lecture
Make anki
Read course pack
Look at netters /rohen
Do question banks
Look at YouTube videos.
Draw it out.

I don't really read textbooks.

Reactions: 1 user
I think at least for M1 where it's basically just rote memorization of a million muscles/nerves/etc, the most important thing is repetition and actively testing your knowledge. So I just cut to the chase and spend 90% of my time making and reviewing flash cards from the class powerpoint slides. So far so good. No stress, no studying required outside of what Anki tells me to do, doing well on tests and feel sharp during dissections.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing all of what you listed as well. For me, it depends on if I'm studying for practical versus written.

For practicals: go into anatomy lab and test yourself, don't just let others tell you what structures are but test yourself saying the names out loud. Look at many bodies.

Written: the rote memorization of structures is less important here but you do need to know it. Practice clinically oriented Qbanks and Anki cards. BRS and UMichigan.

I first like to watch/attend every lecture, review them, and practice Anki cards along the way then do extensive review as listed above.

Human Anatomy
If you have practicals.

My advice is whatever resources you use, use them a lot and don't worry about other people. There's a ton of resources and people are all gonna use a little bit different ones. In hindsight, I spent the first week scrambling and I just should've hit the resources that I had hard. The key for anything is active recall- not just passive listening or reading. If you're doing the latter, at least rephrase the material into questions as you hear it.

I use purpose games to study random groups of things that just need memorized.

In my experience anatomy grades correlate most strongly with time spent in the lab. Others may find flashcards/lectures to be more effective for their learning style, but for me nothing was better than being in the lab. I would arrive with a list of terms written in your scrubs pocket and go with an equally motivated friend and just quiz each other. You have to study the bodies that will be used on your practical exam (aka bodies in your lab), not just the perfectly dissected or drawn bodies in netters or online lectures.

I mean, on top of all that you want even MORE resources to study from? Jesus...

Da Vinci also has some great drawings you might want to check out. :)

leonardfullbody1_2627147c.jpg

For the exam:

Lecture
Course packs (if you have them)
Gray's Anatomy textbook or youtube for anything you need to go into more depth with
BRS questions
Gray's Anatomy questions
UMich questions
Anki

For the Practical:

Some people swear by Netters. I prefer spending time in the lab looking at various cadavers and using Rohen's.

For muscles/skeletons, I used Complete Anatomy for quick referencing, especially for the I/O and actions. It helped me out a ton.

Last edited:
Rohen's for the iPad was terrific because I was able to quiz myself. Depending on how the cadavers are dissected for practicals, you should spend a lot of time finding stuff in there. Some schools do a far better job than others when it comes to prosecting. In fact, some are so good that you can get away with using digital Rohen's exclusively.

I'd try to help more, but that was a horrible time in my life that I have blocked it out.