How do medical schools look at courses taken at a CC? (NOT pre-reqs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glossymatte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take some science courses to boost my sGPA at my local CC. I know some schools do not like seeing prereqs done at CC, but any ideas on science classes that aren't pre-reqs (ex: genetics, upper level bio electives etc.)

edit: I've already graduated with my bachelors. These classes would be taken during my gap years before applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like as long as it's matched with on par grades at uni they won't blast you

I think either view is too generalized. It really has be looked at in context with the rest of the application. Boosting sGPA after graduating with CC could look funky or it could fine. For example, if you were a biology major who has already taken a slew of courses, trying to boost sGPA via CC maybe not be that impressive. If you were a nonscience major with only bare prereqs, adding additional courses via CC may look better

in the end, with the wide variety in educational paths that students take, especially with financial and logistics, a few courses postbacc at a CC wont make that much of a difference

I was a psychology major, so the only real science courses I took throughout undergrad were my pre-requisites!