How Do Medical Schools Look At GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainTops

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm a sophomore as of this academic year but so far have attended 2 universities. One for my first semester as a freshman, and the other since then and which I plan to graduate from. Thus I would have attended 2 different universities when I'm ready to apply from medical school. My present University doesn't consider the GPA of my first one, but it does accept the credits. My question is how would medical schools look at my GPA? Will they only consider the GPA of my present university which I will graduate from (they accepted my credits from the first university but don't include it in their GPA as I stated before) or will they look at my GPA on a whole and consider my GPA from both universities. Also how would I input my GPA when I'm applying? Do I only use the GPA of my present university which doesn't consider my GPA of the university I went to before it but yes the credits or do I do the math and include the GPA from my old university as well when I submit my applications?

Ps. Both were universities, none of them were community colleges. I got an amazing scholarship at one so I transferred. I hope I explained the above well.

I know I'm a sophomore so I shouldn't worry about this right now but it's something that's on my mind and no one can seem to answer to this day.

Members don't see this ad.

This is very widely known info. AMCAS counts every course you have ever taken at any cc, uni, college or dual enrollment through a HS!!!

Reactions: 2 users
This is very widely known info. AMCAS counts every course you have ever taken at any cc, uni, college or dual enrollment through a HS!!!
I didn't know which is why I came here to ask. Thank you for letting me know though!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I have a question. I'm a sophomore as of this academic year but so far have attended 2 universities. One for my first semester as a freshman, and the other since then and which I plan to graduate from. Thus I would have attended 2 different universities when I'm ready to apply from medical school. My present University doesn't consider the GPA of my first one, but it does accept the credits. My question is how would medical schools look at my GPA? Will they only consider the GPA of my present university which I will graduate from (they accepted my credits from the first university but don't include it in their GPA as I stated before) or will they look at my GPA on a whole and consider my GPA from both universities. Also how would I input my GPA when I'm applying? Do I only use the GPA of my present university which doesn't consider my GPA of the university I went to before it but yes the credits or do I do the math and include the GPA from my old university as well when I submit my applications?

Ps. Both were universities, none of them were community colleges. I got an amazing scholarship at one so I transferred. I hope I explained the above well.

I know I'm a sophomore so I shouldn't worry about this right now but it's something that's on my mind and no one can seem to answer to this day.
A more detailed answer is that you don't have to worry about how any of your schools calculate GPA. When you apply to med school, you will enter all of your classes and grades, send transcripts from all of your schools, and AMCAS will calculate a GPA for you, which might or might not correspond to any of your previously calculated GPAs. The reason for this is that different schools have different ways of doing things (as you have already discovered!), and this way, every applicant's GPA is calculated in a uniform manner so they can be easily compared to each other by the schools.

And just a FYI-every course must be listed even if your current school hasn’t included them in your GPA. AMCAS will find out if something is left out!

Reactions: 1 users
A more detailed answer is that you don't have to worry about how any of your schools calculate GPA. When you apply to med school, you will enter all of your classes and grades, send transcripts from all of your schools, and AMCAS will calculate a GPA for you, which might or might not correspond to any of your previously calculated GPAs. The reason for this is that different schools have different ways of doing things (as you have already discovered!), and this way, every applicant's GPA is calculated in a uniform manner so they can be easily compared to each other by the schools.
Thank you so much for this and yes that makes sense that they would standardize everything. I didn't mean to ask a silly question I just really didn't know. Thank you!