how do osteopath schools rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankPagE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any know if there is a ranking system for osteopathic schools? Allopaths have different tiers, so I was wondering if you guys know a similar system. Although osteopathic schools aren't as old as the allos, I'm sure some had gained more prestige or more established than others?
Thanks for any input. I haven't been able to find any info on how the osteo schools compare to each other.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

blankPagE said:
Does any know if there is a ranking system for osteopathic schools? Allopaths have different tiers, so I was wondering if you guys know a similar system. Although osteopathic schools aren't as old as the allos, I'm sure some had gained more prestige or more established than others?
Thanks for any input. I haven't been able to find any info on how the osteo schools compare to each other.

Ranking is complicated - mostly by what standards you use. For instance, the "famous" university MD schools like Vanderbilt and Johns-Hopkins top the charts in some areas and are much lower in others. So before you rate a school you need to figure out what you want to rate it by.

As far as osteopathic schools not being as old. Granted there are some very old MD schools in the country, but KCOM and PCOM we both established in the 1890s, for example.

I often hear KCOM, PCOM, and CCOM rated highly. I'm partial to KCOM.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma osteopathic rocks! That one's for you sis! You go girl!

blankPagE said:

Check US News & World Report: Medical School Rankings. This is the only official ranking system for medical schools.

I do not have the complete list in front of me, but those schools ranked include:

TCOM
OSU-COM
MSU-COM
and others.

According to the TUCOM-MI website, the school has been "ranked 11th nation-wide (www.usnews.com) among all medical schools for graduates entering primary care." I'm not quite sure what that means, but it is some sort of ranking.

blankPagE said:

Rankings are absolute garbage. The research rankings are based mostly on money, and the primary care rankings are based on how many graduates go into primary care (which one could argue is the opposite of competitiveness).

(nicedream) said:
Rankings are absolute garbage. The research rankings are based mostly on money, and the primary care rankings are based on how many graduates go into primary care (which one could argue is the opposite of competitiveness).

If you will observe the columns on the rankings, you will notice there are multiple different areas which are taken into consideration when ranking a school. Your statement isn't entirely true.

I hope this works. This is the latest us news rankings

Attachments

• usnews.pdf
    32.4 KB · Views: 834
OSUdoc08 said:
If you will observe the columns on the rankings, you will notice there are multiple different areas which are taken into consideration when ranking a school. Your statement isn't entirely true.

I know, I said "mostly".

(nicedream) said:
I know, I said "mostly".

You are basing the weight of that particular category ($, grads entering PC) on what, exactly?

OSUdoc08 said:
Check US News & World Report: Medical School Rankings. This is the only official ranking system for medical schools.

I do not have the complete list in front of me, but those schools ranked include:

TCOM
OSU-COM
MSU-COM
and others.

I did not see OSUCOM anywhere on either of those lists? Is there another list? Anyone have a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
OSUCOM is currently ranked in Family Med & Rural Med. In that document, neither of those have complete listings.

and Primary Care.

Mich. State U. Coll. of Osteopathic Medicine is number 9, while michgan state is 30.

48. U. of N. Texas Health Sci. Center (Texas Col. of Osteopathic Medicine)

Rankings tend to be based on elements that have very little influence on the student experience. For example, try objectively measuring the following:

- The quality of individual professors
- technological advancements (ie, video recording of lectures and immediate online availability)
- curriculum design, exam structure
- early clinical exposure
- research opportunities outside of the school
- attractive, social students
- availability of weight rooms, recreation, etc

Who TRULY cares about research funding or student per instructor ratios, or the meaningless percentage of people going into a certain field???

Yeah I wouldn't pay any attention to US News and World b/c supposely my high school one of the top five in the country and I had no idea how they came to that conclusion b/c i sure didn't see it, and my college is ranked in the top 50 and again I have no clue how they came to that conclusion, but they look at other things other than qualtiy of education.

US NEWS rankings need to be taken in context. For example, they may rate one school as one of the top primary care schools, but that may rank much lower for other things. In other words, when you ask about ranking, what do you want evaluated? Student satisfaction? Board scores? Residency placement? etc, etc.

does anyone know the US news ranking for geriatrics for 2006. i'm trying to find out for the rankings from 10-20 and if any osteopathic school is nationally ranked.

thanks for your help.

KCOM gives you some good geriatric experience fairly early, and you can get your MGH (master of geriatric health) at the same time. So in four years you can complete med school and have your MGH.

JohnnyOU said:
Rankings are garbage? LOL

:laugh:

Yep. LOL

:laugh:

In case you didn't know, they are SUBJECTIVE.

OSUdoc08 said:
You are basing the weight of that particular category ($, grads entering PC) on what, exactly?

Their stated methodology.

(nicedream) said:

Well you don't deserve to go to med school, because only the most holiest of premeds do.

NRAI2001 said:
Well you don't deserve to go to med school, because only the most holiest of premeds do.

Sorry NRAI, but apparently beggers can be choosers.

smc927 said:
KCOM gives you some good geriatric experience fairly early, and you can get your MGH (master of geriatric health) at the same time. So in four years you can complete med school and have your MGH.

UMDNJ-SOM used to be highly ranked in geriatrics some years ago. Top 20 , I think they dropped from usnews top geriatrics for some reason though