How do people usually do on their first few CDP tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diene

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only done 2 so far and I scored 18 and 17. I will hopefully improve with practice, but I just want to see how far behind I am and how much improvement people usually see.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it I started with getting 16 on the first test but practice made it better. I get 21-22 on most of CDP tests

I got a 14 on my first one. I had never done any type of PAT or read about how to do them. I had no idea how to pattern folding or do TFE. I didn't realize what a dotted line meant or that you had to fold everything into the screen in pattern folding. I read the wicked sick PAT thread and got a 18 on my second one and now I average a 21ish.

Probably too much info, but thought I would post results of my first 8 so you have something to compare to as far as possible improvement:

Test 1: 17
Test 2: 18
Test 3: 20
Test 4: 19
Test 5: 20
Test 6: 19
Test 7: 21
Test 8: 23

You can see I was up and down a little but the trend is up. The difference on my last 2 was that I read the tutorial for hole punching in KBB and I started getting most of those right. With practice you should get every cube counting, hole punch and TFE right, or pretty close. I have 2 tests left to take before my test in 2 weeks, hoping to maintain 20+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that is awesome! I really need to improve in hole punching...any tips? I will read over the KBB again.

Wow, that is awesome! I really need to improve in hole punching...any tips? I will read over the KBB again.

Looking for symmetry of the first fold is what got me a lot quicker at it. I never considered doing that until I read it in KBB. KBB is far from a great source on PAT, in fact it might be overall the worst one I have used but I was able to pick a few nuggets of strategy up from reading through that chapter.

I got around 18 on my first few tests, and I was disheartened. I went back and redid those first few tests, and then did the next four or five tests. By the time I reached test number 6 and 7, I was getting around 21 or 22 on CDP.

I got a 25 on the real PAT.

Watch this video for hole-punching. Using his method allowed me to get every hole-punching problem correct on CDP (eventually).

I don't know how may I got wrong on the actual DAT, but I made a 25 on the PAT section, so there's a good chance that I didn't get any of the hole-punching wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acne75iojno

Watch this video for hole-punching. Using his method allowed me to get every hole-punching problem correct on CDP (eventually).

I don't know how may I got wrong on the actual DAT, but I made a 25 on the PAT section, so there's a good chance that I didn't get any of the hole-punching wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acne75iojno

So, there was a lot of flaming and online warfare between a few people about who to follow when doing the PAT section this past summer. Not trying to follow one side here...but, I'd personally say that this video is quite helpful.