How do people usually respond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VelvetArt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for the pharmacists on here. When people ask you what you do for a living and you answer them, how do they respond?

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I've got a great pharmacist.....

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a question for the pharmacists on here. When people ask you what you do for a living and you answer them, how do they respond?

one of two ways:
1 - "so, i've got this problem...can i show you this rash?"
ok, ew! i barely want to see my own rashes...

2 - "do you know what this drug is?"
that's like asking a fraternity member if you know so-and-so brother...we HAVE to know ALL the drugs!:D

Then they try to tell you something about drugs....that is totally wrong. But you don't feel like explaining it to them so you just smile.:)

I just keep on smiling even if i'm embarrassed.. that's the way it is.

usually they ask if they can pay for the snickers bar and tampons along with the meds.

"But you're an idiot!"

I would much rather prefer a reply like that than dudes asking me how they can get their oxycodone tested because they think their pharmacy is giving them placebos, or whether I want to make some "real money" in the drug business.

I would much rather prefer a reply like that than dudes asking me how they can get their oxycodone tested because they think their pharmacy is giving them placebos, or whether I want to make some "real money" in the drug business.

lol

so far people seem super impressed that I'm in pharmacy school. My dog had surgery last summer and when I was discussing details of how it went with the surgeon he wanted to talk more about pharmacy school than my dog's duodenum. That actually annoyed me a bit but I have the utmost respect for vets and I was glad to see he felt the same way about pharmacy too :)

so far people seem super impressed that I'm in pharmacy school. My dog had surgery last summer and when I was discussing details of how it went with the surgeon he wanted to talk more about pharmacy school than my dog's duodenum. That actually annoyed me a bit but I have the utmost respect for vets and I was glad to see he felt the same way about pharmacy too :)

Haha and similar thing like that happened when I took my do to the vet too. I often hear "I've got a great pharmacist..." or "I'm on this drug...blah blah blah" It's usually a positive response. Every once in a while you get the old "oh so you can help me get some drugs...."

People are usually really impressed.

Last weekend I had someone ask what I did and I told them I was a pharmacist and they gave me a wierd look and said "a real pharmacist?" Then my buddy had to put his 2 cents in and say I had a doctorate. That always surprises people. I actually hate when people bring that up, they seem to change their perception of you.

People are usually really impressed.

Last weekend I had someone ask what I did and I told them I was a pharmacist and they gave me a wierd look and said "a real pharmacist?" Then my buddy had to put his 2 cents in and say I had a doctorate. That always surprises people. I actually hate when people bring that up, they seem to change their perception of you.

How so?

I keep hearing the "pharmacists aren't doctors", which is true if the person has the common narrow definition of doctor = physician only, but telling them that it's correct usage to call a pharmacist Dr. seems to surprise the uninformed masses.

My understanding is doctor (a physician) is different from having doctarate (having doctoral equivalence education) degree.

May be what I say is little bit out of track with this thread, I have a friend who is really young and when ever we all go out or to a restaurant, find a way for self and make a point that everybody around her hear by saying she is going to be a doctor and ofcourse get some attention!

:confused:

:beat:

anyway. it does change people's perceptions of you. i usually get something like "really, YOU?"
apparently, in the eyes of those in my immediate world, it's perfectly acceptable and wonderful that those such as my best friend and cousin graduated with high honors or have exciting, important careers, but i am apparently some sort of slacker pill-slinger.

my point? i'm getting more and more comfortable with the handle of "Dr". Hey, i earned it, right?

most are impressed a lot question you on whether or not your joking, i'm 25 and most pharmacists they see are older. Then begins the brown bag session of me being hit w/a barrage of questions about drugs, side effects, uses, and otc recommendations.