How do you come up with SAFETY programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextroam11

Reaction score
How do people choose SAFETY programs? how do you know which ones are unpopular and less competitive?

Any tips or advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

Smaller programs in smaller towns or precandidate/candidate programs that still have most of the experiences you want out of a residency.

One thing I should point out is that the term “safety [net]” program only applies to strong residency applicants who are objectively better than most. A “safety” program by definition means an easy program to get into, and does not exist in the vernacular of an average to below-average applicant because those types of candidates are lucky to even get one interview to any program.

Based on the question OP posed, I am certain that OP is not a top-tier candidate otherwise he wouldn’t be asking this question, but nit-picking aside, let me give some general advice (that applies to everyone):

-Apply to as many programs as possible so that statistically speaking you have a better chance of matching.

-When at Midyear, keep an eye on the programs/booths that nobody cares to talk to. These are probably the programs with the lowest number of applicants so again, you should have a better chance with these programs.

-The LESS information a program has, the better. No website? Don’t go to conferences? No alumni? Never heard of the city the program is in? But still somehow managed to talk to the program? Good odds for you here because it means that the pool of last-minute residency applicants (mid-late December) won’t be able to find this program to apply to.

-Keep scouting for residencies after match day and throughout the beginning of July, there will be new ones that spring up who want to start their program in the summer and will take anyone.

Reactions: 1 user