Medication Use Safety Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlwaysContrary

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's thought here about Medication Use Safety Residency?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If your goal is to be a medication safety officer at a large AMC then it is the fastest way to one of those positions. I will say that they are good gigs that are often near management (or actual managers) in authority, so they don't vacate very often. I don't know what the statistics are but there is a decent chance that you would have to move far if there even was an open position when you finished.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In my opinion, as specific as the residency title may 'sound', the learning experience provides you with a ton of opportunities.

For example:
- Management/Administration/Supervisor
- Clinical Coordinator (policy/guidelines)
- Medication Safety Officer
- Pharmacy Informatics (IT)
- 340B Management
- Formulary Management
- P&T Committee Chairman
- Drug Utilization Officer
- Pharmacy Educator
- Pharmacy Supply Chain

With the expertise in medication usage, you have an important set of skills that is pertinent to any one of the roles listed above (but not limited to). At the end of the day, the goal of ANYONE one of these roles is to ensure safe and effective medicine WITH a concern for cost. I have worked with a few medication safety officers and their hands stretch VERY far across the health-system because of how vital their role is.

Reactions: 1 user