How do you deal w/this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Retail pharmacy is exhausting, but necessary.

Imagine your busiest day and divide it into a few hourly segments. Take a couple of those segments, and insert them into every single day that you work, particularly around 5 o'clock when every one is getting off of work.

Also, have someone call off who is suppose to be doing the "burger flipping" part of the work, typing and filling scripts, processing insurance claims, and running the register, and add that to your own workload.

This is what people are talking about when they say "down in the trenches" or something to that effect.

The pay is good, but the pace can be overwhelming. You can't refuse to serve retail clients who call, stare, yell, or scream until you solve their problems on their terms. It doesn't work like other professions, because the autonomy to chose your own clients doesn't exist. You can't "fire" anyone like the two ladies who bring in their fat dogs 10 minutes before you close.

Members don't see this ad.

Well unfortunately I work corporate and people want to call every day complainging and wanting their money back if things don't go their way. I HATE IT!!! You try talk to them, they are on their cellphones, fussing at their 4 kids, rush you cause they have to meet their tennis instructor (yeah I work on that side of town). They miss all of what you have told them, decline everything you have recommended them to do, the dog/cat gets worse (mind you it has been a week since the animal started this problem before they FINALLY decide to come in) and then want to claim you didn't do your job. And because I am corporate it is a "let's just give them their money and tell them to go away". WHAT??!!! So how am I valued as a clinician? I am so over it.

Yes, I understand about the part that you can't fire your retail clients and I definitely can understand why that is fustrating. I guess that is why I am happy to get insight here to give me a better idea of what I would really like to do with a pharmd degree. I don't know how many here are religious (not the place I guess) but I am and I know that I will keep the respect for myself before I let others disrespect me. In saying that...if it is meant for me to have whatever job I have, I will let them know I will take care of them once they have respect for me. I do it a lot at my clinic (my attitude is the worse in my clinic...I don't/won't play disrespect of me or any of my team members by clients).

Welcome to the forum!:)

You don't work for Banfield, do you?

Tell us more about yourself and how you went from PharmD to DVM...and now you want to go back to pharmacy?

Funny, I'm going the vet route from pharmacy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forum!:)

You don't work for Banfield, do you?

Tell us more about yourself and how you went from PharmD to DVM...and now you want to go back to pharmacy?

Funny, I'm going the vet route from pharmacy...

Thank you!

Yes, I work for Banfield here in Birmingham Alabama. It is crazy and I have found that they don't respect us as doctors or employees and the clients (ok, not all of them) don't respect us either.

I noticed you had TUCVM and "in deep south". I am a '03 grad of Tuskegee Veterinary School.

Sorry...had to edit...missed the part about why pharmacy.

I am a pharmacist now just on a smaller scale since I have to do so much more. But, I have been with the goverment, private-pay good/treat you bad, private-treat me good/paid me HORRIBLY and now corporate. I feel like they want us to be a walmart not a veterinary clinic and forget what was told to me when I was hired, they have you work whatever hours they want, whatever days they want and threaten you with your job if you don't like it (oh, but now I have found out it is just MY hospital that they are actually enforcing this stuff...could it be because I am black and the other 3 hospitals are white????). At least as a pharmacist I would have better choices. I would still be in the medical field as I always wanted to be. I would actually get paid for what I (and all the education I have received) am worth. I gues the way I look at it is if I am going to get sh*tted on at least when I am not working I can take a vacation or shop!:)

Last edited:
You still have to go to pharmacy school momoftwosons, right? That's what I got from your first post.

I've heard such terrible things about Banfield... how do they manage to stay in business?

(the corgis need their teeth cleaned and I'm having to save my pennies... the oldest is 10 so she has to get xrays on top of the bloodwork... $$$)

Thank you!
I noticed you had TUCVM and "in deep south". I am a '03 grad of Tuskegee Veterinary School.

YAY!! Cool, very cool.

Are there any other private practice (read non-Banfield) opportunities available in your area so you can jump ship?

My bad, I thought you already had a PharmD before your DVM.

No I have my DVM. I am studying for the PCAT right now (Lord how did I pass the VCAT) and have completed my PHARMCAS app (except one of my transcripts and getting my AP english grade sent in). Unfortunately, B'ham is the "good old boy" society of veterinarians-so no, no opportunities out there. I don't want to jump ship from Banfield (cause it is worse out there). I just wish they respected us. But, it is about numbers instead of those who are working their butts off for those numbers. When I first started I told them (my academy class) that this was my last chance at being a vet (insert here all the other ways I tried...oh I forgot I did emergency before also). So it hurts to know that something I have wanted to do since high school will no longer be my lifes work. I enjoyed the heck out of Banfield til lately. I pray about it all the time, but it doesn't get better.

No I have my DVM. I am studying for the PCAT right now (Lord how did I pass the VCAT) and have completed my PHARMCAS app (except one of my transcripts and getting my AP english grade sent in). Unfortunately, B'ham is the "good old boy" society of veterinarians-so no, no opportunities out there. I don't want to jump ship from Banfield (cause it is worse out there). I just wish they respected us. But, it is about numbers instead of those who are working their butts off for those numbers. When I first started I told them (my academy class) that this was my last chance at being a vet (insert here all the other ways I tried...oh I forgot I did emergency before also). So it hurts to know that something I have wanted to do since high school will no longer be my lifes work. I enjoyed the heck out of Banfield til lately. I pray about it all the time, but it doesn't get better.

I am not sure if you are aware but there are 49 other states out there. Why not try and move some where else.

I really do not think the answers to your problems with being a veterinarian will be solved by becoming a pharmacist.

I've heard such terrible things about Banfield... how do they manage to stay in business?

(the corgis need their teeth cleaned and I'm having to save my pennies... the oldest is 10 so she has to get xrays on top of the bloodwork... $$$)

They make the money (cause they MAKE YOU make the money).

The part about your corgies teeth...all three are very important to lengthen the life of your baby. Teeth are a leading cause of heart/kidney problems due to the bacteria that builds up on them. When the gums bleed that bacteria goes directly into the blood stream. The bloodwork is important to 1. find if there are any problems with your pet that you wouldn't have known about and 2. to know if they SHOULD NOT do the surgery, say cause there is a problem with the liver or kidneys or low platelets. Lastly, the xrays are to see if your dogs heart is enlarged or have any other problems that could potentionally cause a problem for your baby if sedated (age 10 is considered geriatric). It is all important to make sure that on the other side of that dental will be your corgie with pearly whites, fresh breath...AND ALIVE!:)

They make the money (cause they MAKE YOU make the money).

The part about your corgies teeth...all three are very important to lengthen the life of your baby. Teeth are a leading cause of heart/kidney problems due to the bacteria that builds up on them. When the gums bleed that bacteria goes directly into the blood stream. The bloodwork is important to 1. find if there are any problems with your pet that you wouldn't have known about and 2. to know if they SHOULD NOT do the surgery, say cause there is a problem with the liver or kidneys or low platelets. Lastly, the xrays are to see if your dogs heart is enlarged or have any other problems that could potentionally cause a problem for your baby if sedated (age 10 is considered geriatric). It is all important to make sure that on the other side of that dental will be your corgie with pearly whites, fresh breath...AND ALIVE!:)

oh I know, I'm not begrudging the process (or the cost). It's just a lot for a student! I need to start brushing their teeth every day. That is one place where I have failed them :( They forgive me though - we go for lots of walks and car rides. (It's funny that 10 is geriatric - she doesn't act any different than she did at 5. She's my once in a lifetime dog and I can't imagine her as an old lady).

I am not sure if you are aware but there are 49 other states out there. Why not try and move some where else.

I really do not think the answers to your problems with being a veterinarian will be solved by becoming a pharmacist.

I have a husband and two children, all of my family is here and I want to pretty much stay in the south. I know it will not solve ALL of my problems, but it will some. And it is not far off from what I do now. I love all aspects of vet medicine (including the pharmacy part), well except the pay and how people will get their pet groomed every week, but won't get their health care. I want to make this change for my sanity, for my children's future and before I can't. I hope that makes sense.

Oh and is this how the threads work here. Why do you all start talking about medications, your vacations, your attic...etc? I am not starting anything, just wondering because I wanted to read more of how people handle these situations and I spent more time scrolling through the thread to find the answers. I know pharmdstudent mentioned threadjacking. Wow, never heard of that, but I get it now. I am looking forward to learning more about the pharmacy community because I am determined to make the change, but insight is better than what I am getting...
I don't know, but I took it to mean that people were tired of the arguing and "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude that this thread seemed to start out with because it didn't seem as if anyone was actually getting anything out of it. Like MountainPharmD said, this thread probably did start with good intentions.

Besides, the rest has been interesting. After all, people are still reading this, aren't they...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a husband and two children, all of my family is here and I want to pretty much stay in the south. I know it will not solve ALL of my problems, but it will some. And it is not far off from what I do now. I love all aspects of vet medicine (including the pharmacy part), well except the pay and how people will get their pet groomed every week, but won't get their health care. I want to make this change for my sanity, for my children's future and before I can't. I hope that makes sense.

Please do not change to pharmacy to save your sanity!!!! If you havn't lost you mind being a vet with 2 kids pharmacy will surely finish you off......

You are a health professional who is highly compensated, not a minimum wage burger flipper whose shift has ended.

We need not denigrate those of lesser education to elevate ourselves above them. I'm not trying to single out Old Timer. There have been numerous disrespectful comparisons in this thread between pharmacists and fast food employees, or cashiers. They, too, are entitled to common courtesy and respect.

We need not denigrate those of lesser education to elevate ourselves above them. I'm not trying to single out Old Timer. There have been numerous disrespectful comparisons in this thread between pharmacists and fast food employees, or cashiers. They, too, are entitled to common courtesy and respect.

This is one of the most interesting thread I've read on SDN.

I agree with the comment above. Treating people with respect is paramount; regardless if one is wealthy or poor; educated or not educated.

The debate regarding retail pharmacy in this tread sparked many arguments, comments, and concerns. For me, I question what I can do or what we can all do to alleviate the situation retail pharmacy is faced with on a systematic level.

Like many people have already commented, the situation is a two way street. Corporate America put retail pharmacy in the situation its in today and we allowed this to happen to the pharmacy profession.

How many of you think retail pharmacy is heading towards the right direction in terms of patient care?

If we are not satisfied with what is happening to the pharmacy profession, what can we do to improve the situation on the corporate level?

I believe Pharmacy is a very respectable profession in the United States, yet I'm not sure this is the case for pharmacy in other countries. If U.S. pharmacists are the forerunners of this profession, its best to make sure the profession is heading towards the right direction and set a good example for the rest of the world.

I don't have as much knowledge and experience regarding pharmacy as many of the people who commented. But what I do know is I hope to become a licensed pharmacist one day and do my best in making sure the pharmacy profession is heading towards a positive direction where we are constantly thinking of new ways to improve this profession.

I know it's a lot easier said than done. It can be done and many of you currently do it on a daily basis. :)

This is one of the most interesting thread I've read on SDN.

I agree with the comment above. Treating people with respect is paramount; regardless if one is wealthy or poor; educated or not educated.

The debate regarding retail pharmacy in this tread sparked many arguments, comments, and concerns. For me, I question what I can do or what we can all do to alleviate the situation retail pharmacy is faced with on a systematic level.

Like many people have already commented, the situation is a two way street. Corporate America put retail pharmacy in the situation its in today and we allowed this to happen to the pharmacy profession.

How many of you think retail pharmacy is heading towards the right direction in terms of patient care?

If we are not satisfied with what is happening to the pharmacy profession, what can we do to improve the situation on the corporate level?

I believe Pharmacy is a very respectable profession in the United States, yet I'm not sure this is the case for pharmacy in other countries. If U.S. pharmacists are the forerunners of this profession, its best to make sure the profession is heading towards the right direction and set a good example for the rest of the world.

I don't have as much knowledge and experience regarding pharmacy as many of the people who commented. But what I do know is I hope to become a licensed pharmacist one day and do my best in making sure the pharmacy profession is heading towards a positive direction where we are constantly thinking of new ways to improve this profession.

I know it's a lot easier said than done. It can be done and many of you currently do it on a daily basis. :)

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head! I think this is the point of the thread--we just got to it in a roundabout way!

Solutions, anybody? Here's mine.

1. Start becoming a voice in your state pharmacy associations. Don't just be a money donor and hope for the best. I do (get involved) and I work all the freakin' time. A lot of state associations offer CE concurrently with their meetings...

2. Let corporate chains know that we're NOT high-priced sweatshop workers! I've started asking WAG's why they can't extend a 30-minute lunch break to ALL its pharmacies in every state--not just law-mandated NC...I aspire to be an annoying hemorrhoid.

3. ???

2. Let corporate chains know that we're NOT high-priced sweatshop workers! I've started asking WAG's why they can't extend a 30-minute lunch break to ALL its pharmacies in every state--not just law-mandated NC...I aspire to be an annoying hemorrhoid.

I'm not the type to normally support unions, but isn't this one of the reasons unions were created? To prevent companies from mistreating their employees? Personally, I NEVER get (or maybe it's take) a lunch. Also, I have worked 9 hours straight at the drive thru without so much as a bathroom break. I can't imagine what kinds of health problems this is creating for me.

Having said this, I still agree with Oldtimer that staying over a few minutes is the right and professional thing to do. Think about restaurants...as long as you are in the door before closing, you will get served. And that's just a meal not a health issue.

Having said this, I still agree with Oldtimer that staying over a few minutes is the right and professional thing to do. Think about restaurants...as long as you are in the door before closing, you will get served. And that's just a meal not a health issue.
Here lies the problem. Pharmacies are not restaurants. Pharmacists do not work on tips or commission (Thank god!).

I'm not the type to normally support unions, but isn't this one of the reasons unions were created? To prevent companies from mistreating their employees? Personally, I NEVER get (or maybe it's take) a lunch. Also, I have worked 9 hours straight at the drive thru without so much as a bathroom break. I can't imagine what kinds of health problems this is creating for me.

That is exactly why unions were created. There is a big advantage in working for a company that has a union. It is against the law to work without breaks or lunches. A company who willing and deliberately violates the law can get into some serious troble. Walgreens and CVS get away with it largely because most employees are not aware of the law or they choose to let the company do what ever it wants. A union gives a mechanism to hold a company accountabl for its actions.

That is exactly why unions were created. There is a big advantage in working for a company that has a union. It is against the law to work without breaks or lunches. A company who willing and deliberately violates the law can get into some serious troble. Walgreens and CVS get away with it largely because most employees are not aware of the law or they choose to let the company do what ever it wants. A union gives a mechanism to hold a company accountabl for its actions.

And that is exactly why I refuse to work retail as a future pharmacist.

As I stated before we are a corporate vet clinic. Well, some company (not even us) was sued in Oregon (our parent location) about people working during their ten minute breaks...AND THEY WON! Needless to say we received an email (all the way here in Alabama) saying we are to allow people to take their lunch and breaks or we will get in serious trouble with the corporate office if their is a complaint. So, I guess people may be reluctant to complain, but it will take that one lawsuit to open their eyes to the fact that it is WRONG! I have a pharmacist friend who actually left retail and this is one of the MANY reasons she did.

I'm definitely not advocating for unionization...

Laws vary from state to state. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania there is NO requirement for any breaks unless the employee is a minor. You could however file a claim against a company should they fail to follow their own guidelines for breaks.

I'm definitely not advocating for unionization...

You need some more experience before deciding.

I have worked for a union grocery store chain and a non-union grocery store chain. I did not realize all the union did for us until I worked for the non-union store. I wrongly and possible naively assumed since pharmacists were in high demand all companies (excluding Walgreens and CVS who treat there employees like crap) treated there employees well. In fact I thought for pharmacists a union was unnecessary and a little insulting, after all we are professionals not blue collar auto works.

What an eye opening experience working for the non-union grocery store has been

.......and why is that exactly?

I'll amend my previous comment: "And that is exactly why I refuse to work retail AT WALGREENS as a future pharmacist." Thank you for allowing me to clarify. :D

Are you really serious? You think I'm being disrespectful to burger flippers I'll assume you did OK in science but your reading comprehension skills need some polishing.

This not about people in the food service industry being less valuable or somehow less worthy of respect than health care professionals.

So, I will spell it out for so you are clear about what I mean.

As an employee in the health care field you are very HIGHLY COMPENSATED professional. As a HIGHLY COMPENSATED professional you have a responsibility to serve the HEALTH CARE needs of your patients. If that means you stay a few minutes after closing time, that is what you do. If you feel you can't do this when it's required I suggest you get a job where direct patient care is NOT involved. There are many pharmacy jobs where this an option.

Next, a burger flipper in a fast food restaurant is not obligated to stay late to feed my lazy ass after 11PM because I don't want to cook or eat what I have at home. The worst is I'll get hungry.....

There is a clear difference between my desire to have a burger at 11:30PM and the needs of a patient discharged from the hospital or ER few minutes after closing.

Okay, I know I'm jumping in on the tail end of this, but I have read this thread from beginning to end and I have a few things to add. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a pharmacist, and I will only be a lowly p1 in the fall, but I have worked retail pharmacy for the past 8 years...

1. not every town has a 24 hour pharmacy, so it's not always as simple as sending someone down the street.

2. The salary does make the profession awfully attractive, but it's also about taking care of our patients. There are plenty of pharmacists willing to work even though they are not being compensated. I shudder to think of how many "shut the gate at 5 minutes till closing" pharmacy school applicants listed volunteer work on their pharmacy applications. I know many pharmacists, mds, dentists, etc who volunteer at the town's free clinic because they want to and genuinely are compassionate for the needs of their neighbors. I want to be a pharmacist because I care about the health of my community. The fact that someday I will be able to not worry about how I will pay my mortgage is just a bonus.

3. I agree that customers walk all over us. Retail is hard work. And mega-corps like CVS (where I work) do not pay technicians and cashiers nearly enough to put up with psychological abuse that our customers inflict upon them. But that is going to happen whether you close at 9pm or 915pm. If you are willing to risk some child not getting a needed antibiotic or inhaler for fear that someone will bring you a script for retin-a then maybe pharmacy is not the career for you.

Okay, I know I'm jumping in on the tail end of this, but I have read this thread from beginning to end and I have a few things to add. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a pharmacist, and I will only be a lowly p1 in the fall, but I have worked retail pharmacy for the past 8 years...

1. not every town has a 24 hour pharmacy, so it's not always as simple as sending someone down the street.

2. The salary does make the profession awfully attractive, but it's also about taking care of our patients. There are plenty of pharmacists willing to work even though they are not being compensated. I shudder to think of how many "shut the gate at 5 minutes till closing" pharmacy school applicants listed volunteer work on their pharmacy applications. I know many pharmacists, mds, dentists, etc who volunteer at the town's free clinic because they want to and genuinely are compassionate for the needs of their neighbors. I want to be a pharmacist because I care about the health of my community. The fact that someday I will be able to not worry about how I will pay my mortgage is just a bonus.

3. I agree that customers walk all over us. Retail is hard work. And mega-corps like CVS (where I work) do not pay technicians and cashiers nearly enough to put up with psychological abuse that our customers inflict upon them. But that is going to happen whether you close at 9pm or 915pm. If you are willing to risk some child not getting a needed antibiotic or inhaler for fear that someone will bring you a script for retin-a then maybe pharmacy is not the career for you.
You haven't said anything new. Perhaps you didn't read the thread in its entirety...

Towns who dont have 24 hour pharmacies have hospitals who fill those scripts as necessary. Most scripts dispenesed from hospital can wait. Oldtimer damatizes when he claims that he have to stay a few minutes to dispense emergency scripts from ER. (I wonder if he even knows what goes on in an ER or ever work in one).

We are not highly compensated professionals. Oldtimer confuses with standard of living and old pharmacy wages. The truth is if retail pharmacy pays anything less than 100k, nobody would do it. With average student loans averaging 150k, nobody would go through that extra stress to work for anything less than that. CVS pays that much because it needs to.

Theres a difference between being compassionate and allowing your customers to walk over you because they waited last minute for a 6 month old propecia script.

Towns who dont have 24 hour pharmacies have hospitals who fill those scripts as necessary. Most scripts dispenesed from hospital can wait. Oldtimer damatizes when he claims that he have to stay a few minutes to dispense emergency scripts from ER. (I wonder if he even knows what goes on in an ER or ever work in one).

You have some rose colored glasses or something. There are some people, many people, that come out of an ER with an rx that needs to be filled asap. It's unacceptable for a patient to have to wait till the next day to get antibiotics or legitimate pain medications. You act like oldtimer or anyone else working in retail with his ideals will stay late to fill an rx for propecia. You may think he dramatizes it, I think your cushy hospital job has made you soft and lose respect for what a community pharmacist does.

Aznfarmerboi said:
We are not highly compensated professionals. Oldtimer confuses with standard of living and old pharmacy wages. The truth is if retail pharmacy pays anything less than 100k, nobody would do it. With average student loans averaging 150k, nobody would go through that extra stress to work for anything less than that. CVS pays that much because it needs to.

Theres a difference between being compassionate and allowing your customers to walk over you because they waited last minute for a 6 month old propecia script.

Your ideals are way out of whack. You are a highly compensated professional. Period. I can just picture you as one of these whiney "clinical" types that never learned what it's really like in the real world, let alone what the word clinical means in all aspects of the profession of pharmacy. WAKE UP!

I love being told about pharmacy practice by someone who has filled...

drum roll please......

exactly zero prescriptions

In fact, in a few weeks ago, a patient presented a prescription at 5:59PM on a Saturday for Bactrim DS for her daughter who was just discharged from the ER. I would not tell a 16 year old girl to wait for an antibiotic for a UTI and in fact, I didn't. So, please with your vast lack of experience as a practicing pharmacist VS my 27 years of filling prescriptions, tone it down a little. It does happen and when it does you stay late and take care of it. If someone walked in the Propecia at 5:59 as I said in my earlier post, I would give him a pill for the night and tell him to come back tomorrow. It's called judgement and you will get a chance to exercise it once your a pharmacist....

I love being told about pharmacy practice by someone who has filled...

drum roll please......

exactly zero prescriptions

In fact, in a few weeks ago, a patient presented a prescription at 5:59PM on a Saturday for Bactrim DS for her daughter who was just discharged from the ER. I would not tell a 16 year old girl to wait for an antibiotic for a UTI and in fact, I didn't. So, please with your vast lack of experience as a practicing pharmacist VS my 27 years of filling prescriptions, tone it down a little. It does happen and when it does you stay late and take care of it. If someone walked in the Propecia at 5:59 as I said in my earlier post, I would give him a pill for the night and tell him to come back tomorrow. It's called judgement and you will get a chance to exercise it once your a pharmacist....​

Why bother giving him a pill...tell him your closing come back tomorrow.

Why bother giving him a pill...tell him your closing come back tomorrow.
Because I didn't go to pharmacy school to refuse medication to patients. It takes a few seconds to drop a pill in a bottle and put the refill in for the morning. What do you gain by turning him down?

Because I didn't go to pharmacy school to refuse medication to patients. It takes a few seconds to drop a pill in a bottle and put the refill in for the morning. What do you gain by turning him down?

Seems we are arguing over minutiae here but I'll play. Who says you are refusing a patients medication? If you work for a chain pharmacy that has posted hours of operation why not stick to those hours? Is that being unfair to the patient, hardly. After all you are not refusing the medication you are simply informing them the pharmacy is closed and they can get it tomorrow or go to a 24 hour pharmacy. I think what is unfair is constantly coming home late because of irresponsible and uncaring customers waiting until closing time.

I completely agree with your emergency room prescription at closing scenario. Its not like the patient had any other choices after spending the better part of a day in the ER. This is something that happens rarely and is the right thing to do.

The bottomline is, it is a judgement call.

From my experience as a retail pharmacy tech, hospital pharmacy tech, retail pharmacy intern, hospital pharmacy intern, licensed driver, employee of a company, owner of two eyeballs, and reader of English, I just so happen to notice that all of the pharmacies that are next to a hospital in all of the cities that I have lived or currently live in are open 24 hours. :idea:

It amazes me that someone could be in so much agony that they would drive further to a pharmacy, because that's their regular pharmacy. :rolleyes:

I have never seen a pharmacy that was next to a hospital that wasn't open 24 hours a day.

From my experience as a retail pharmacy tech, hospital pharmacy tech, retail pharmacy intern, hospital pharmacy intern, licensed driver, employee of a company, owner of two eyeballs, and reader of English, I just so happen to notice that all of the pharmacies that are next to a hospital in all of the cities that I have lived or currently live in are open 24 hours. :idea:

It amazes me that someone could be in so much agony that they would drive further to a pharmacy, because that's their regular pharmacy. :rolleyes:

I have never seen a pharmacy that was next to a hospital that wasn't open 24 hours a day.

Well in the City of Philadelphia, there are scads of 24 hour pharmacies, but none are next to the Albert Einstein Medical Center on N. Broad St. Sorry, would you like to try again......

Seems we are arguing over minutiae here but I'll play. Who says you are refusing a patients medication? If you work for a chain pharmacy that has posted hours of operation why not stick to those hours? Is that being unfair to the patient, hardly. After all you are not refusing the medication you are simply informing them the pharmacy is closed and they can get it tomorrow or go to a 24 hour pharmacy. I think what is unfair is constantly coming home late because of irresponsible and uncaring customers waiting until closing time.

I completely agree with your emergency room prescription at closing scenario. Its not like the patient had any other choices after spending the better part of a day in the ER. This is something that happens rarely and is the right thing to do.

The bottomline is, it is a judgement call.
Next time you are at work get a vial and then:

• Stand at drop off
  • Walk to the propecia
  • Remove one pill and place in bottle
  • walk back to drop off
Time how long it will take to perform these steps. It's about 30 seconds. You will create ill will to save yourself 30 seconds...... Get a life....

Next time you are at work get a vial and then:

• Stand at drop off
  • Walk to the propecia
  • Remove one pill and place in bottle
  • walk back to drop off
Time how long it will take to perform these steps. It's about 30 seconds. You will create ill will to save yourself 30 seconds...... Get a life....

Hey you must work for CVS since 30 seconds is all the time you ever spend on prescription. I digress....

So you are going to give someone a pill in a unlabled bottle and tell them to come back tomorrow. How exactly is that helping anyone? If you are going to waste your time you might as well do it correctly and just fill the prescription. Let corporate or the state board of pharmacy get a wiff of that and you will be out of a job.

How long have you managed to practice and not have your license suspended?

Well in the City of Philadelphia, there are scads of 24 hour pharmacies, but none are next to the Albert Einstein Medical Center on N. Broad St. Sorry, would you like to try again......
Yakees don't know how to do anything right. Instead, they just hand people pills so that they'll have to come back the next day anyway. :rolleyes:

:smuggrin:

Yakees don't know how to do anything right. Instead, they just hand people pills so that they'll have to come back the next day anyway. :rolleyes:

:smuggrin:

Exactly....don't forget in an unlabeled bottle as well....I am sure without any patient information sheet or any counseling...awsome way to "take care" of the patient.

Exactly....don't forget in an unlabeled bottle as well....I am sure without any patient information sheet or any counseling...awsome way to "take care" of the patient.
Just imagine handing someone a metronidazole tablet on a Saturday night without associating the drug precautions. :barf:

That's what Aznfarmerboi has been trying to say this entire time. Why fill the script half-ass and in a rush when someone else who isn't trying to close shop in order to pick up their kids from extended daycare can fill it properly?

I've grown to love Old Timer though, so no offense. ;)

Just imagine handing someone a metronidazole tablet on a Saturday night without associating the drug precautions. :barf:

That's what Aznfarmerboi has been trying to say this entire time. Why fill the script half-ass and in a rush when someone else who isn't trying to close shop in order to pick up their kids from extended daycare can fill it properly?

Well said...and with that I think we can offically close the thread....

Gives some credence to those patients who say "all you have to do is put some pills in a bottle." Go to this guys pharmacy and thats all you get. Pills in an unlabled bottle....

Last edited:
well Said...and With That I Think We Can Offically Close The Thread....

Gives Some Credence To Those Patients Who Say "all You Have To Do Is Put Some Pills In A Bottle." Go To This Guys Pharmacy And Thats All You Get. Pills In An Unlabled Bottle....

Now I Am Shouting. Please Read The Thread, Carefully. The One Pill In The Bottle Is For The Patient Who Showed Up At 5:59 When The Store Closes At 6pm To Refill His Propecia. In This Case Or Even With A Mtc Med. I Would Place 1 Pill In His Bottle And Tell Him To Come Back Tomorrow. If This Were A New Prescription For Metronidazole I Would Fill It Just Like I Filled The Bactrim-ds A Few Weeks Ago.

There Is No Placing Pills In Unlabeled Bottles. Let's All Get A Grip And Read Carefully. The Only Half Ass Thing Going On Here Is Some You Read Only With One Eye Or You Have The Reading Comprehension Of A 3rd Grader,i Can't Believe You Are This Dumb And In Pharmacy School So Will Assume You Are Using Straw Man Arguments To Make Your Point And You Are Doing It Poorly.

So Let's Review:

1) Patient Presents New Rx At Closing Time For Acute Medication: You Fill It Even If You Stay Late.

2) Patient Presents A Refill At Closing Time. If He Is Out Of Medication, You Can Give Him Some To Hold Him Until The Store Next Opens. Some Judgment Required Here.

3) Patient Presents A New Rx At Closing For A Refill Of Old Medication Or A New Mtc Medication. Depending On The Circumstances You Either Fill It Or You Tell Him To Come Back Tomorrow. Some Judgment Required Here Also.

Now I Am Shouting. Please Read The Thread, Carefully. The One Pill In The Bottle Is For The Patient Who Showed Up At 5:59 When The Store Closes At 6pm To Refill His Propecia. In This Case Or Even With A Mtc Med. I Would Place 1 Pill In His Bottle And Tell Him To Come Back Tomorrow. If This Were A New Prescription For Metronidazole I Would Fill It Just Like I Filled The Bactrim-ds A Few Weeks Ago.

There Is No Placing Pills In Unlabeled Bottles. Let's All Get A Grip And Read Carefully. The Only Half Ass Thing Going On Here Is Some You Read Only With One Eye Or You Have The Reading Comprehension Of A 3rd Grader,i Can't Believe You Are This Dumb And In Pharmacy School So Will Assume You Are Using Straw Man Arguments To Make Your Point And You Are Doing It Poorly.

So Let's Review:

1) Patient Presents New Rx At Closing Time For Acute Medication: You Fill It Even If You Stay Late.

2) Patient Presents A Refill At Closing Time. If He Is Out Of Medication, You Can Give Him Some To Hold Him Until The Store Next Opens. Some Judgment Required Here.

3) Patient Presents A New Rx At Closing For A Refill Of Old Medication Or A New Mtc Medication. Depending On The Circumstances You Either Fill It Or You Tell Him To Come Back Tomorrow. Some Judgment Required Here Also.

Hey there Old Timer....Its time to refill the Aricept....No one is confused but you.