How do you deal with stress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like to

* watch british television DVDs. These things relax me
*cry (if it gets bad enough crying is the best emotional release a girl can have)
* yoga...I plan on joining yoga classes soon but usually i just do the tapes
*running
*massages if possible. deep tissue massages.
* eat healthy, avoid too much caffeine

I often get stressed (don't we all) so I find myself having to do a bit of work to stay in control of my mind/situation.

edit: also if you have a religion i find reading the holy book helps. in my case this is the bible. it is very calming for me...puts it all in perspective

Members don't see this ad.

crying and kung - fu

TV, shopping, wine and a good book, cleaning, petting my cat, talking on the phone.... Basically anything that helps me to trance out and disengage my brain from my body. I try not to stress out about school, its my personal life that always gets me in a tizzy.

Members don't see this ad :)
we need a thread for how to deal with being extremely annoyed.

annoyed to the point where you are afraid you might accidentally melt the windows with your eyes

to reduce stress, i like to sit on the beach at sunset and after. there is something really calming about the beach at dusk. it's a really good place to find clarity. good stuff!

mystiqx said:
crying and kung - fu
What style??(The Kung fu, not the crying :D ) Who's your sifu?? Where in NYC is your school?? I studied wing chun, hung gar, a little white crane in L.I. My sifu's name was Mike... :confused: something or the other. He had an italian last name (starts w/ an M). All I remember about him was that he was affiliated with a Chinatown school (thats where he learned), and his school is the oldest true kung fu school on the island (taebo-aerobic schools dont count), and was the baddest guy with a mullet i'd ever seen (thats right, A Mullet!! In New York). I guess thats why he had to learn Kung fu :smuggrin:

Serenity Now!!! said:
What style??(The Kung fu, not the crying :D ) Who's your sifu?? Where in NYC is your school?? I studied wing chun, hung gar, a little white crane in L.I. My sifu's name was Mike... :confused: something or the other. He had an italian last name (starts w/ an M). All I remember about him was that he was affiliated with a Chinatown school (thats where he learned), and his school is the oldest true kung fu school on the island (taebo-aerobic schools dont count), and was the baddest guy with a mullet i'd ever seen (thats right, A Mullet!! In New York). I guess thats why he had to learn Kung fu :smuggrin:

I go to the USA Sholin Temple in New york, my Sifu's name is Shi Ya Ming
(i put the link to the website). I only started like a month ago, so far so good, i use to do taekwondo, so its sorta a culture shock to get use to a completely different style, but i love it. Sifu is this little bald head monk, but he's got such a powerful presence that nobody would wanna f with him, you just take one look and you just know he's dangerous.
http://www.shaolinwolf.com/

mystiqx said:
I go to the USA Sholin Temple in New york, my Sifu's name is Shi Ya Ming
(i put the link to the website). I only started like a month ago, so far so good, i use to do taekwondo, so its sorta a culture shock to get use to a completely different style, but i love it. Sifu is this little bald head monk, but he's got such a powerful presence that nobody would wanna f with him, you just take one look and you just know he's dangerous.
http://www.shaolinwolf.com/
Yeah I met your sifu once. He's pretty big (not literally) amongst NYC hip hop heads at least his face is although his name might be a bit of a mouthful(Hence the myriad shaolin references from Wu Tang etc.) The guys IS quick. And I know what you mean by culture shock. The rigid stances and straight kicks seen in karate and Tae kwondo dont translate too well in kung fu (although it depends if your studying Northern style, southern style...The list IS endless!!) wait till you start working on the mook!!(the 'wooden man') or weapons training--which I didnt get a chance to do B4 I moved to Fla. Thats the BIG fun :smuggrin: I remember alot of the chinatown (more trad.) schools werent feeling his school too much because he didnt have you guys cooking up pork fried rice or sweeping up in the restaurant on the weekends!!(some of the stories ive heard... :eek: ) anyways that is a very good stress buster I'll check out the site.

aubieRx said:
edit: also if you have a religion i find reading the holy book helps. in my case this is the bible. it is very calming for me...puts it all in perspective

i totally agree with you on that. also listening to a lot of praise and worship music, especially hillsong and michael w

Serenity Now!!! said:
Yeah I met your sifu once. He's pretty big (not literally) amongst NYC hip hop heads at least his face is although his name might be a bit of a mouthful(Hence the myriad shaolin references from Wu Tang etc.) The guys IS quick. And I know what you mean by culture shock. The rigid stances and straight kicks seen in karate and Tae kwondo dont translate too well in kung fu (although it depends if your studying Northern style, southern style...The list IS endless!!) wait till you start working on the mook!!(the 'wooden man') or weapons training--which I didnt get a chance to do B4 I moved to Fla. Thats the BIG fun :smuggrin: I remember alot of the chinatown (more trad.) schools werent feeling his school too much because he didnt have you guys cooking up pork fried rice or sweeping up in the restaurant on the weekends!!(some of the stories ive heard... :eek: ) anyways that is a very good stress buster I'll check out the site.

yeah i hear you with the popularity in the hiphop world, he's got pics of himself and crazy people hanging in the school, i believe that discovery or national geographic is suppose to be doing a documentary on him, can't wait to see it. Kung fu is PAINFUL, i have never felt that much pain in TKD, but it helps me with focus sometimes, i'm yet young with the style so i haven't "perfected it" as yet, perfecting as in using it in my dailiy life, i think i'd be ruthless if i was able to apply my focus there to my focus with life, school would be sooooooo much easier hehe. but glad to know i have fellow martial artist on the forum. do you still practise or study any styles?

mystiqx said:
yeah i hear you with the popularity in the hiphop world, he's got pics of himself and crazy people hanging in the school, i believe that discovery or national geographic is suppose to be doing a documentary on him, can't wait to see it. Kung fu is PAINFUL, i have never felt that much pain in TKD, but it helps me with focus sometimes, i'm yet young with the style so i haven't "perfected it" as yet, perfecting as in using it in my dailiy life, i think i'd be ruthless if i was able to apply my focus there to my focus with life, school would be sooooooo much easier hehe. but glad to know i have fellow martial artist on the forum. do you still practise or study any styles?
Yeah, Mauy Thai and Jiu jitsu But I recently stopped going to the school b/c I honestly dont have anytime anymore (you can relate). I still practice at the park. I still have all my equipment and I still spar with a friend to keep in shape but I want to rejoin once im done w/ pharm school. Heres my school's website: http://www.americantka.com/home.htm

As far as the pain is concern IT does keep you focused. Your sifu should have mentioned an ointment called 'joul' (pronounced like jouwl...as in drooping cheeks) that keeps the swelling down. I know that works.

I don't think anyone mentioned these methods., They reign among my favorite:

1. Going shopping and buying lots of stuff you don't need but really like
2. walking in the woods/nature

aubieRx said:
I don't think anyone mentioned these methods., They reign among my favorite:

1. Going shopping and buying lots of stuff you don't need but really like
2. walking in the woods/nature
1. What about yoga?? An ex. gf put me up on that...its good stuff Ive always thought of myself as relatively flexible until I started doing that :scared: . It is a bit fruity with the wierd poses (I still get nervous if im in 'dog pose' and someone comes around the back of me--- :eek: ) Every morning B4 work I do 10mins or so...If I dont Im tense all day (and thats not a good thing if youre a high schoolteacher :mad:
2. getting an aquarium is also good. It doesnt matter, fresh water/marine; 15 minutes of observing the antics of those fish would make the stress disappear If you dont believe me go and visit a pet store and walk around by the tanks... theyre rel. inexpensive and low maintenance (except marine tanks w/ all the salt deposits and checking pH etc)

aubieRx said:
I like to

* yoga...I plan on joining yoga classes soon but usually i just do the tapes
Oh yeah I guess you did mention yoga...My bad.
But seriously I try and read the bible when I can but I recently bought a CD set of the New Testament narrated by James Earl Jones. (I try and play it in the morning driving to work so I dont catch a felony from strangling one of my bad-a$$ students). With his booming voice you think that GOD himself is talking to you! (Although it is kinda funny when The CD gets to the gospel of Luke and he says "Luke, chapter three.." I just cant help remembering Star Wars (Luke, I am your father! :) )

Serenity Now!!! said:
when The CD gets to the gospel of Luke and he says "Luke, chapter three.." I just cant help remembering Star Wars (Luke, I am your father! :) )

:D :D