How do you guys feel about curves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plue00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got screwed by the curve in our class.

The final grades were too high for our class so they lowered everyone's final grade by 4% points >.>

Our school has a rule that only 6% can get an A and 6% can get an A-, and this is from a top tier school where everyone is insanely competitive and smart haha.

I went from a 94.3 (93 is an A) to a 90.4 (A-) haha.

Has this kind of shenanigans happened to you guys before? How do you guys feel about curved classes? I know many of you guys probably have them too.

Members don't see this ad.

The final grades were too high for our class so they lowered everyone's final grade by 4% points >.>

Our school has a rule that only 6% can get an A and 6% can get an A-, and this is from a top tier school where everyone is insanely competitive and smart haha.

Has this kind of shenanigans happened to you guys before? How do you guys feel about curved classes? I know many of you guys probably have them too.

It all depends on if you complained every time a curve increased your grade...

Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting school policy. For me, curving down is way worse than curving up. :shrug: I guess that's what happens in a more competitive college.

Only in the right places

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

The curve at my school is that the median gets a B/B+/B- depending on the class and a SD above or below is a full letter grade above or below. We're always competing against each other :(

The curve at my school is that the median gets a B/B+/B- depending on the class and a SD above or below is a full letter grade above or below. We're always competing against each other :(

Yeah, all of the premed/engineering/science classes here are curved anywhere from a C- to a B-.

35740-feels-bad-man.jpg

That's unfortunate. My school doesn't allow curving down (for most cases). Do you go to berkeley? That's the only school I know of that goes by the strict bell curve.

Yeah, all of the premed/engineering/science classes here are curved anywhere from a C- to a B-.

35740-feels-bad-man.jpg

Wtf?? C-? That's horrible. Unless its Princeton or JHU, they're really not helping you guys out whatsoever.

I think curves suck, but that's why I picked a school that doesn't curve.

I personally like the comfort of knowing that I can dominate a class all semester and then chill on the final exam and still earn an A.

That's unfortunate. My school doesn't allow curving down (for most cases). Do you go to berkeley? That's the only school I know of that goes by the strict bell curve.

I don't get the point of bolding my hahas, was just trying to make light of a bad situation unlike many people here. I also know an A- won't kill me >.>

I go to UVA. I think UCLA/Princeton/JHU also has a strict bell curve.

I think curves suck, but that's why I picked a school that doesn't curve.

I personally like the comfort of knowing that I can dominate a class all semester and then chill on the final exam and still earn an A.

Actually curving up to B+/B >> no curve > curving to B-/C >> curving down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually curving up to B+/B >> no curve > curving to B-/C >> curving down.

I didn't know there was such a thing as curving up.. Sign me up!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I prefer hourglass curves personally...

paulina%2Bstanek6i-11024.jpg

My school also has a policy of no down curves.

And Princeton does have strict bell curving for classes. My friend's GPA has suffered because of it and he is an extremely intelligent guy.

That really sucks... We never had anything like this in any of my undergraduate classes. Plus, real women have curves. :D

Only in the right places

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

:thumbup:

I prefer hourglass curves personally...

paulina%2Bstanek6i-11024.jpg

:thumbdown:

images

:thumbup:

Oh and OP, curves are kinda annoying when you're at the top and a life saver when you're at the bottom. Perform at your best and be satisfied knowing you gave it your all.

And that is why we go to state universities rather than bothering with top schools!

We never had anything like this in any of my undergraduate classes.
12a2.jpg

What's with all the nice sunny states making that list? I wanna see some hotties from UMich bundled up in scarves and Ugg boots.

:barf: Why would anyone choose to go to this school? I would like to be graded on my mastery of the material, not that of my peers.

She may be a sex icon and all, but I think she's just straight up overweight in that picture. I don't find that figure physically attractive. Just my opinion.

She may be a sex icon and all, but I think she's just straight up overweight in that picture. I don't find that figure physically attractive. Just my opinion.

Never really found her too attractive either to be honest, and that's not based on just her figure, but everything in general.

Also,
patrick-best-photos-patrick-star-spongebob-2746153-480-541.jpg

Adele is the new face for the curvy movement!

Honestly, I'd need to see picture with more pixels in order to properly judge her BMI but I agree with you from this angle.

I can picture you guys posting right now.

Nerd_al_computer.jpg

Sucks for you. You should have had your priorities straight when choosing an undergrad.

LSU are you kidding me? Those over weight country bamas. 95% of the campus are rednecks.

I hate the downward curve. I prefer the straight grading system and if everyone gets a perfect score on an exam the instructor just needs to increase the difficulty.

However, I'm not opposed to the upward curves when the highest test grade is 94 and the instruct makes the 94 count as 100 so everyone moves up accordingly.