how do you guys feel about...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniemal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
having to take Gross Anatomy once you get into Med School?
I feel nauseous just thinking about it. I mean how are you suppose to look at the dead person's face and just cut them open? I've also heard that you'll have to bisect heads. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen the anatomy lab but I'm not too woried. Probably just takes some time getting used to the idea. I don't think anyone has ever dropped out of med school because of anatomy.

anniemal said:
I feel nauseous just thinking about it. I mean how are you suppose to look at the dead person's face and just cut them open? I've also heard that you'll have to bisect heads. :scared:

Uh,

You will become desensitized to dissecting the cadavers after working in the anatomy lab for awhile. You should realize that what is worse is the SMELL. I felt nauseous from the smell more than anything else. I had to get out of the anatomy lab a couple of times while working in the lab for some fresh air. Also, bring & use some strong deodorant after being in the lab for awhile. The stench gets into your clothes and and everything else. So, wear scrubs and a lab coat while in the anatomy lab and change into your regular street clothes afterwards.

I think you will become accustomed to dissecting after a period of time.

Hang in there!
psychedoc2b

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little nervous, but excited too. I've never seen a cadaver up close and personal, aside from a handful of funerals... I've heard about the smell, too- the stomach contents and poop are the worst. I'm putting bets down that I will be one of the first five to pass out.

I look forward to cutting people! For education purposes of course. I think it will be an amazing learning opportunity.

What does it smell like? Rotting fish? Ethanol / orgo lab chemical smell or what?

www.allheart.com for cheap scrubs! I wouldn't want to use my white coat (from the ceremony) for anatomy lab though...

Its not so bad.... I had the "pleasure" of sitting in during the autopsy of a body they found 4 days after the man had passed away. The smell is the worst part, you will smell it every where you go for the next few days, i guess the smell of death is the same in all meat. I couldn't eat chicken for a few days cause it smelled similar. Its probably best to not have that as your first experience though.... From what the pathologist told me, that was one of the wost bodies he's had to disect and if that is the worst.... average can't be that bad.

anon-y-mouse said:
I look forward to cutting people! For education purposes of course. I think it will be an amazing learning opportunity.

What does it smell like? Rotting fish? Ethanol / orgo lab chemical smell or what?

www.allheart.com for cheap scrubs! I wouldn't want to use my white coat (from the ceremony) for anatomy lab though...

FORMALDEHYDE!!!

Your white coat is for when you interact with patients and for ceremonies.

psychedoc2b

psychedoc2b said:
FORMALDEHYDE!!!
psychedoc2b

oh, just like high school biology dissection smell? that was irritating but not too bad at all... although i'm sure it will be different since the dissection subjects are much larger, so more formaldehyde.

someone mentioned using a lab coat, that's why i mentioned it... so i suppose you just buy a crappy lab coat to use on top of scrubs?

anon-y-mouse said:
oh, just like high school biology dissection smell? that was irritating but not too bad at all... although i'm sure it will be different since the dissection subjects are much larger, so more formaldehyde.

someone mentioned using a lab coat, that's why i mentioned it... so i suppose you just buy a crappy lab coat to use on top of scrubs?

Since there are many bodies in one lab, the smell wafts from the bodies to the vents and permeates the whole lab until you feel as if you yourself are getting pickled for dissection. Just kidding!

Get a used lab coat and just snare some scrubs from the hospital if possible. Anything you wear in the anatomy lab is going to waste anyways. So, I would not waste too much money on anatomy apparel.

psychedoc2b

When I went to visit MUSC a few years ago we were allowed inside to see the cadavers, but we were not allowed to see the face. Seeing the face is the only thing that sort of frightens me. The rest of the body was soooooo preserved that the skin even felt more like rubber then skin. It was weird but it seems like it coulda been worse.

Anyone wishing to desensitize themselves to anatomy might want to go on www.rotten.com ....great site to go on a diet to.

My nose gets stuffy most of the time and I can't smell very well unless I'm like an inch from it. So that doesn't sound too bad. What about the face? How do you deal with the cadaver's face and also, has anyone dreamt about the cadaver lab? I know I have -many times.

I look forward to this too, it seems like it will be an amazing experience. I have been in a lab after they did the dissection, and it smells a lot like the frogs/rats that you have to dissect in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
anniemal said:
My nose gets stuffy most of the time and I can't smell very well unless I'm like an inch from it. So that doesn't sound too bad. What about the face? How do you deal with the cadaver's face and also, has anyone dreamt about the cadaver lab? I know I have -many times.

The cadaver's face has been pickled also and looks like a rubber mask. You really can't decipher the visage of the face because it's so distorted and does not look as human anymore, if that makes sense.

Also, the stench is STRONG and you will notice it even if you don't think you will.

I would just take some deep breaths outside the anatomy lab before you go inside and have a positive attitude about the whole dissection process.

If you are dreaming about it already, I suggest you do some activites that will take your mind off it because you have a long way to go before you start med school.

I would enjoy the time you have before med school, instead of worrying about med school. Because once you start, you will have more worries than you think you can handle during med school.

psychedoc2b

anniemal said:

Don't stress about it too much. I thought I was going to DIE the first day. It was a little better the second day. By the third day, I was cutting and stuff with the rest of my group. You will become desensitized - I promise!

I would agree that the smell is probably the worst part of anatomy lab. It's a very strong chemical odor from the preservative (I don't think formaldehyde is generally used anymore, mainly alcohol-based preservatives now), and it gets in your clothing, hair, everything. Even in a well-ventilated room, the smell is very strong because of the number of bodies. The first couple of times are the worst for this, then you actually get used to it somewhat and don't notice the smell as much later, although other people around you probably still do. Don't wear anything to anatomy lab that you're not willing to throw out later--our school supplied scrubs which most people wore, and then changed into their street clothes afterwards.

As far as the emotional aspect of dissection, I found it to not be particularly difficult, and I hadn't dissected anything since a frog in 8th grade. It's weird the first day, but you really get over it pretty quickly (and this was true for everyone I know of). At my school, we started with the back and did the head and neck last, which helped--obviously starting with the head would have been harder. We did eventually bissect the head, but by that point we had been in lab for 9 weeks and it wasn't that upsetting. We kept the head wrapped until we dissected it, and the day we took the covering off a couple of people in my group were upset and cried, but by the next day they were fine. Some will be more affected by the experience than others, but no one in my class couldn't handle anatomy lab. I think most of us shared the OP's fears going in and they turned out to be unfounded. I also felt like the faculty and my classmates all had a good attitude going into it, there was a lot of discussion about respecting the gift we'd been given and support if people felt uncomfortable, which also helped. It is a great way to learn anatomy, and I think you'll find it fascinating and only mildly disturbing once you get past the initial strangeness.

I've heard from many medical students that you get strangely hungry after anatomy lab. Maybe it's just that you've been dissecting all afternoon into early evening and you're starved. At any rate, I think it's pretty common for people to be nervous at first, and by the end of the semester, you're eating your sandwich in lab.

As far as lab coats, I walked into the WashU lab, and the students were wearing those disposable surgical coveralls. You know, those yellowish ones you see on ER. Other people have suggested having a change of clothes-- one thing to add to those-- wear a really old pair of sneakers, 'cause my boyfriend said that he had to just throw his away at the end of the year 'cause they were so gross.

And for people who've visited WashU-- Factoid of the day: the windows of the anatomy lab are frosted (if you've noticed). They have been recently frosted because when they were doing work on the Farrell Teaching Center, the construction workers would take their lunch breaks on the scaffolding outside of the anatomy labs and peer in. Totally weird. I know. But that's why they're frosted, to keep out the peepin' toms.

anon-y-mouse said:
What's standard footwear for the labs? I was thinking clogs like this:
http://www.allheart.com/comfortclogs1.html

I don't want to ruin my shoes... and I hope there are lockers to store regular clothing, or scrubs after use...

Yes, there are lockers hopefully at your school.

If you wear open clogs, your socks will smell. Also, you should completely cover your feet just in case a knife falls on or around your feet or a piece of flesh sticks to your shoes.

I would wear old tennis shoes or old slip-ons.

psychedoc2b

We had two cadavers for our anatomy class at my undergraduate university and after i finished that course I enrolled in a internship class where we got to dissect those cadavers for the students taking the class. I thought most undergraduate schools have cadavers for anatomy lab. Is this the case ?

anniemal said:
My nose gets stuffy most of the time and I can't smell very well unless I'm like an inch from it. So that doesn't sound too bad.

I have a terrible sense of smell-- really terrible. I would generally get to lab, barely notice the smell, and be breathing in great big lungfuls for an hour or so before it would suddenly all go to my head & I'd have to leave for fresh air. Closest I've ever come to fainting in my life. It would happen almost every week. And I'd usually leave with a splitting headache.

So be careful. Whether you are particularly bothered by the smell or not, these solvents are pretty nasty.

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that I was very nervous about starting anatomy, but even I got used to the weirdness of it pretty quickly. I'd never even seen a dead body "in person" before. And then all of a sudden it's "Welcome to the lab. Start by removing the anterior chest wall...".

Eh, dissection is nothing. You should try doing cavity work for embalming a person for a funeral. That's disturbing to someone who hasn't seen it before (and it still bothers me a little).

we'll get desensitized to it. I unexpectedly had to do 40 mouse dissections in one day having never done one before, and the next time I had to do one, I was a pro and didn't get fazed by cutting into a dead creature at all. Of course, human cadavers are a different story, but I imagine the feeling will be similar.

psychedoc2b said:
FORMALDEHYDE!!!

psychedoc2b

i've got to say i've decided there are much worse smells. i took a&p last term, and we had cadavers for our lab. we didn't cut on them, but we did have to study them, and the smell wasn't so horrid. admittedly, i didn't want to go eat afterwards. ;)

Nothing tops the smell of digested blood (melena) from a GI bleed. *shudders* There is no way to describe it other than to say it sucks. Oh and isn't too pretty to look at either....a lovely shade of coal tar black.

clogs? whitecoats? scrubs?

its only anatomy lab...not open heart surgery...jeez

Praetorian said:
Nothing tops the smell of digested blood (melena) from a GI bleed. *shudders* There is no way to describe it other than to say it sucks. Oh and isn't too pretty to look at either....a lovely shade of coal tar black.

Yeah, the first autopsy I witnessed was a heavy drinker... scerosis of the liver + GI bleed... oh and the body was found 4 days after death... Now that smells....

Oh forgot to mention.... the smell in anatomy is roses compared to an autopsy. anatomy is a chemical smell... similar to dissecting in bio classes... autopsy is a rotten smell. You've probably left chicken in your garbage for a one day too long... imagine that smell for something 100 times bigger.

I think the smell bothers everyone a little at first. You don't think it is that bad when you walk into the room, but after a few hours of getting blasted with whiffs of it as you dissect, it gets a bit overwhelming. Then you get used to it.

Don't buy clogs for anatomy lab! Wear the beat-up sneakers that you were about to throw out, because once you are done with anatomy, those shoes should get tossed! Wear scrubs instead of regular clothing. I never saw anyone in a lab coat, but we all wore scrubs. Remember that you will get bits of flesh on your clothing and shoes.

And have fun! In January I'm going to be a TA for anatomy and I'm really excited. (I loved anatomy when I had it.)

Regarding the smell............

I think you guys have to realize the smell of an AUTOPSY vs. CADAVER will be DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Why???

The smell of a fresh autopsy generally is that of the smell of the blood and raw fresh tissue that is rotting.

On the other hand, the cadavers have more of a Formalin and formaldehyde smell or whatever it is they use to preserve the people's bodies. For the most part, the body has been cleaned up through the preservation process. So it is not the same sort of smell as an autopsy.

I think seeing an autopsy would be worse.

gujuDoc said:
Regarding the smell............

I think you guys have to realize the smell of an AUTOPSY vs. CADAVER will be DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Why???

The smell of a fresh autopsy generally is that of the smell of the blood and raw fresh tissue that is rotting.

On the other hand, the cadavers have more of a Formalin and formaldehyde smell or whatever it is they use to preserve the people's bodies. For the most part, the body has been cleaned up through the preservation process. So it is not the same sort of smell as an autopsy.

I think seeing an autopsy would be worse.

its A LOT worse.....

zzman said:
its A LOT worse.....

Yeahh I can imagine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I think I'd probably puke if I had seen a real autopsy rather then the cadavers.

Its_MurDAH said:
clogs? whitecoats? scrubs?

its only anatomy lab...not open heart surgery...jeez

well, i'll get scrubs for anatomy lab, but the rest is a bit over the top....why exactly a lab coat? to protect the scrubs?

oh, and this is a plus about UConn....very very well ventilated anatomy labs...i forgot what they said it was but the air is exchanged frequently

also, why did some of the interview tours go through the anatomy labs? i mean, it's nice and all, but i don't need my suit to smell bad

You won't cut into the person while looking at his face. The heads are covered when you begin dissections (you usually spend a few days on the trunk or back). This method keeps the whole ordeal very impersonal.

The University of Wisconsin has some videos posted online. Check them out if you want to see what a dissection is like. Disclaimer: NOT for the faint of heart.

Oh, and get scrubs and clogs that are cheap enough to throw away. You aren't going to want to wear them ever again once anatomy is over.

Nah, stink was the floater (drowning victim) we found snagged in a submerged tree after 2 weeks. Jesus Christ it stinks.....No description possible.

As for autopsies, yeah, they are a whole other animal. But nothing compares with the gore and mess of embalming a body after an autopsy.

And by the way ZZMan, it's "cirrhosis" just so you know :) Medical terminology can be a real bear to learn....

deuist said:
You won't cut into the person while looking at his face. The heads are covered when you begin dissections (you usually spend a few days on the trunk or back). This method keeps the whole ordeal very impersonal.

The University of Wisconsin has some videos posted online. Check them out if you want to see what a dissection is like. Disclaimer: NOT for the faint of heart.

Oh, and get scrubs and clogs that are cheap enough to throw away. You aren't going to want to wear them ever again once anatomy is over.

Is it normal not to wear gloves when doing dissections? Because that was gross and I can't imagine touching even a preserved body with my bare hands.

whosit said:
Is it normal not to wear gloves when doing dissections? Because that was gross and I can't imagine touching even a preserved body with my bare hands.

I think after a while of doing something for so long, you just get used to the smell and handling things without gloves. Working in the lab has taught me this...many a time have the smell of pig and sheep gotten all over me and my hands (yes hands, stuff happens where there isnt enough time to puts gloves on). It dont bother me though, you get used to it (kind of like getting used to blood)...the other tech's dogs love the smell...its like christmas everyday for them.

You should always wear gloves when doing dissections. The preservative chemicals are very dangerous if you get them into your system. I don't know why one of professors in the dissection videos gave a demonstration without using gloves.

C.P. Jones said:
well, i'll get scrubs for anatomy lab, but the rest is a bit over the top....why exactly a lab coat? to protect the scrubs?

oh, and this is a plus about UConn....very very well ventilated anatomy labs...i forgot what they said it was but the air is exchanged frequently

also, why did some of the interview tours go through the anatomy labs? i mean, it's nice and all, but i don't need my suit to smell bad

Not necessarily over the top. I have friends in med school who do exactly this. The smell from the anatomy labs starts getting on everything and this double coats you so that you yourself don't reek of the smell as bad. Actually, in my reg. comp anat class, we are required to keep a lab coat.

gujuDoc said:
Not necessarily over the top. I have friends in med school who do exactly this. The smell from the anatomy labs starts getting on everything and this double coats you so that you yourself don't reek of the smell as bad. Actually, in my reg. comp anat class, we are required to keep a lab coat.

It really does, and it's almost impossible to get out. Women - I recommend you buy a cheap bra that you will throw out at the end of lab and change into it before lab each day. Stupid lab ruined a nice Victoria's Secret bra I had!!!