How do you guys get to watch surgeries as a pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valtun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally wondering as I assumed this would be extremely hard not being a medical student. Do you have to be volunteering in the department and know the surgeons and ask them? Email different surgeons?

Would love the opportunity to do this and wondering how I could get into a position to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed two surgeons and then volunteered in the OR. Volunteers at my hospital typically are not able to observe, but after several weeks of busting my butt they started to give me 30 minutes here and there in the OR to watch what I wanted.

Generally wondering as I assumed this would be extremely hard not being a medical student. Do you have to be volunteering in the department and know the surgeons and ask them? Email different surgeons?

Would love the opportunity to do this and wondering how I could get into a position to do so.

Thanks in advance!

I was able to watch surgeries in high school by connecting with classmates' parents who were surgeons or surgical nurses. It's easier if they have private practices, since hospitals often have rules about OR shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an OR tech for the better part of a decade. I did the 10-month program before starting college, so I worked throughout college in the OR. Alternatively, you can just shadow. Surgeons will usually take you into the OR and let you stand next to the anesthesiologist (assuming it's okay with them).

I had the opportunity to shadow 3 different surgeons in the OR, a general srgeon, trauma surgeon, and gynecological surgeon

I work in research at a large hospital and a surgeon I shadowed said all I needed to get in was my work ID. If you work at a hospital it makes it a lot easier as a lot of "paperwork" that may be needed is all filled out since your'e already an employee. This may be the same case as a volunteer I'm not sure but definitely ask the volunteer office.

Do you work in a lab? If so ask your PI if they know any surgeons- a lot of shadowing can be done easily if you know the right people

Last edited:
I literally just email surgeons at the hospital and ask if it would be possible for me to shadow them for some time. If I don't hear a response in 3 days I email another surgeon until one bites. Doing this I've shadowed a Neurosurgeon (200hrs - published a paper with them), Cardio-thoracic surgeon, and a Pediatric Surgeon.

Reactions: 2 users
My job requires that I am in the OR multiple times a month.

I work at a hospital with a population of patients who generally need transplantation. I just ask them if I can watch the surgery.

I shadowed a gen surgeon and an ortho surgeon so got to be in the OR for a total of like 20ish hours. It depends on the hospital because some are more laid back about it while others are an absolute no for OR shadowing (my local hospital is an absolute no for all shadowing). Just call/email a bunch of places and voice your interest in wanting to see the more technical side of surgery and see if they allow shadowing in the OR. Doesnt hurt to ask.

Reactions: 1 user