How do you guys remember EVERYTHING

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V4viet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble recalling some of the concepts from a few weeks ago..How do you guys remember all of it? Any good methods to remembering this stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having trouble recalling some of the concepts from a few weeks ago..How do you guys remember all of it? Any good methods to remembering this stuff?

here's a suggestion: try to really understand things instead of just memorizing them. For example, when you are reading something new, go through this process: first, wonder: shouldn't this be obvious? how is it similar or different to other things that you already know and understand. then, does any of it seem counterintuitive or unexpected - if so, try to identify the specific reason you have this impression; then rethink your prior understanding creating your impression and identify what is unique about the new situation that reconciles your understanding and the new information. If you feel confused, find someone to hold your hand through this process.

Over time, this approach should give you a well-ordered mind with vastly more capacity.

Repetition is key. Or at least for me it was. I definitely remembered some things but I forgot other things (like names and common words)

repetition and practice problems. you are more likely to remember something you got wrong. I would get really frustrated when i missed questions and was more likely to not make the same mistake again. so basically, study a topic, test yourself on it, then go back and study again. do this over and over and the more repetition the more the stuff will stick. also, learn and understand concepts, dont just memorize (though this doesnt work for all topics it works for most especially physical sciences. def do tons of practice problems and when you feel like you have done enough, do a 100 more.

Members don't see this ad :)
going to give the advice given to me by a 35er....do all the readings once...put down the book....start doing questions and it will all fall into place

3 things:

1. Understand rather then memorize. Conceptualize things to the best of your ability and it will make your life easier. Make sure to try to find interconnecting relationships between material. Physics and gen chem have lots of overlapping concepts and those same concepts can be applied to biological concepts.

2. Repetition. Study for several hours straight until you can recall everything.

3. Practice problems and tests!!! Do lots of practice and it will begin to stick.

I agree that you really need to understand the material you are studying rather than trying to, say, memorize all the equations and attempt to regurgitate them on a practice exam.

Repetition truly is a key factor, but that's only if it makes sense the first time and you're just having problems remembering things. If you're trying to learn something new or make sense of something that's never made sense, try a different book, or ask a friend, or even a TA/professor. They should be able to help you out.

And if it still doesn't make sense, move onto another topic and come back to it later. Sometimes the best thing to do is to forget everything you think you learned and relearn it again the right away. :laugh:

I found flashcards very useful when trying to memorize o-chem, but other than that I agree with the previous posters. I had the EK books, so I would read a whole section through, put anything really important on flashcards and try to understand anything else, and just hope the understanding was enough for the test. By and large it was, but there are a few things you need to have memorized, like the hormones. On the other hand, it's probably not important to memorize the digestive system in any great detail.

Hey i just wanted to take my time out and say thank you for those who's trying to help me out.. I really appreciate it..I think i need to do more practice questions..thanks again