How do you guys study well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rc4ch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its finals week, and I dont have a lot of time left in my hands. The past week was used to study for a Zoology practical and a Calc 2 test. Now, I have today, and the weekend and a little bit of time after each final to study for 4 finals. How do you guys do it? Zoology is really kicking my ass. Anyone with great grades that have good time management help me make a productive schedule? Sociology and Chem 2 are Monday, Zoology is Tuesday, and Calc 2 is Wedsnesday. I know Im asking for too much, but anything would help.

I have a problem, I can't concentrate studying after I get sleepy or burnt out. So I usually have around 6 hours a day, with coffee. Any of you have this problem too?

Members don't see this ad.

rc4ch said:

I get very distracted, too, and I can't seem to study anywhere else but in my room (other people end up bugging me with their whispers, or on the other end, the loud cell-phone conversations in the library)....

I recommend staying in your room, and pretend you're explaining the material to someone else. Your roomates might think you're crazy, but it works for me....if I am talking, it keeps me awake and I am wording the material, and I can remember it better.
Now if you are seriously falling asleep, take a nap! Staying awake won't do much for you if you can't concentrate....

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I forgot to add, figure out your priorities....

if there's a class that you have an A on, and want to keep it, study for that more!!! Any classes on which you are on the verge come second to that (I have figured out it's not worth to sacrifice my "certain" A's in the hope of a "maybe" A....so if you run out of time or energy, well, a that 89 in Cal won't kill you.

rc4ch said:
Its finals week, and I dont have a lot of time left in my hands. The past week was used to study for a Zoology practical and a Calc 2 test. Now, I have today, and the weekend and a little bit of time after each final to study for 4 finals. How do you guys do it? Zoology is really kicking my ass. Anyone with great grades that have good time management help me make a productive schedule? Sociology and Chem 2 are Monday, Zoology is Tuesday, and Calc 2 is Wedsnesday. I know Im asking for too much, but anything would help.

I have a problem, I can't concentrate studying after I get sleepy or burnt out. So I usually have around 6 hours a day, with coffee. Any of you have this problem too?

I assume you mean 6 hours of sleep a day. That is not abnormal. I can say that when push comes to shove, most of us probably get less. Try sleeping around 4 hrs a night but take a 30 min nap during the day. I'm not kidding.

If you get sleepy, instead of drinking caffeine, do a couple of push ups or listen to complex music for a while. I mean really listen to it. It will stimulate your brain. And by complex, I mean jazz or classical, certainly nothing you would hear on your local pop radio station.

Hope that helps.

What I always do is start reviewing 2 weeks in advance no matter what exams I have that same week. For example, say I have an organic chemistry exam in 2 weeks and a genetics exam in 1 week. I would have already started studying for genetics the week before and I will start reviewing both genetics and organic chemistry today. If I plan it correctly, I will have a good balance of genetics and organic chemistry time. This doesn't work for everyone but it's something I found very useful in my study habits. I wouldn't recommend telling yourself that cramming is the only way you can study. I've noticed that most of my friends that cram are the ones that do the worse in classes.

Other things you can do:
1) Buy a planner or calender - I use those wall calendars with boxes so I can write out all my exams and paper due dates on them, then plan the week before hand according to my exams. (You can also print the template off Microsoft Word).

2) Use "StickyPad": It's a post-it program for your desktop. You can put notes over your background for any important reminders you need. (I don't have the think but you can just google it. There are many variations of the program.)

3) Get enough sleep! This is usually a big problem. If you don't get enough sleep your mind can't focus well during the day! You need a good sleep schedule so you have a set circadian rhythm and most importantly so you don't fall asleep during class or reviewing notes. This was a huge problem for me until I forced myself to bed. It sucks in dorms when your friends don't sleep as early and you really just want to veg out with them. It also helps to have your weekly classes begin all at the same time everyday. That way you are used to one alarm time.

Hope this helps! Good luck with this and don't worry, you are definately not the only one with this problem.

rc4ch said:

Well first of all don't try to study 6 hours at a time. You should really only study about 20 minutes at a time with 5 -10 minute breaks. You will burn out less and be more attentive. So do this:

1) Find an extremely quiet place, like most libraries have a reference floor which usually doesn't have loud conversations or also libraries have study rooms, with doors and you could go into one of them shut the door and be free of distractions.
2) Plan what you need to study, do a quick 10 minute assesment of your areas of needs, maybe calc 2 you only need to make an 80 in to keep an A or something like that, so it can be your lowest priority. Set up a little schedule like, friday study for zoology, calc2 and chem, saturday zoology calc2 and sociology, etc.
3) Study 1 hour (2 20 minute sessions) for your highest priority class. Take 10-15 minute break, maybe eat a snack, then study for your second highest priority for an hour. Then after this go eat or do something for an hour, maybe read a newspaper or watch some TV, but don't get too involved. Then come back and do another hour. Do this until you are burned out or covered as much as you need.
4) Right now you probably have enough time to avoid cramming. Get a lot of sleep, wake up and be ready to study for 4-5 hours for the next few days and you should be fine.

Additional stuff:
-Note cards can be helpful if you have the time to write them out.
-Outlining chapters isn't a bad idea if these classes would be benefited by that.
- For chemistry and calc2 (I haven't taken it but I presume from my other maths this will help) do problems! Problems in the back of the book, problems the teacher gave you, do any problems you can find.
-If it comes to memorizing large lists of things or a lot of words, try writing the list out, then try to write the first few words out, then continue this until you have done it by yourself at least 7 times. Usually after 7 times it should be hammered into your head.
-Also make sure you understand things completely, a lot of the time I'll think , "well I've pretty much got that" and then the teacher will ask the question in a slightly different way and I wont know how to answer it. But if I understand the concept completely changing the words around can't fool me. So if you aren't fully sure of a concept ask your professor, or you could probably ask someone on here to explain it to you.

If you feel the need to take a nap to refresh yourself, then sleep with your feet elevated. You'll wake up a lot more refreshed and no grogginess. However, don't nap too long. Less than an hour should do it.

OP,

there are a million books out there which show you how to study well.
go buy one. those people who wrote these books are a bunch of experts on "how to study well."
they will give you better ideas on how to study