How do you make sure you spend quality time together?
I am not in pharm school yet and this worries me a lot; I have been a stay at home mom of four kids for years now. My husband is used to working (and working a lot, and being out of town a lot) and coming home and having most of the domestic and child rearing work complete. I am taking only one class right now and if 430 rolls around on the weekend and I am studying, he starts to worry about dinner, etc...(obviously I have some retraining to do with him LOL if I ever am going to make it through an intense program). I have already mentioned to him how much busier I will be in the future but I don't think it will sink in until we are there and living it.
I think the key to this is setting yourself a schedule and sticking to it. When you have someone else (or several someone elses, in my case) that is one of your priorities, you don't have the luxury of studying whenever you feel like it, and vegging whenever you feel like it etc... At least if you have a specific time set aside for not studying and for working on your personal life, and it does not have to be huge, just unimpeded by worries about school/work/whatever, I think that should help. And stick to the time most of the time. If you say "at 7, we can eat together and I will watch a movie with you for a couple of hours, then I need to get back to studying" - do it and don't try to steal a few extra minutes studying.
I am not yet in, just finishing up some pre-reqs to apply. Right now I am taking Org Chem and I ended up on the couch yesterday trying to spend time with my husband, while studying, while being available to my four kids. Big mistake. I was pretty lousy at doing any of that. I ended up half-watching Alien vs. Predator and opening an endless stream of gogurt tubes instead of getting through my chapter on Nucleic Acids.
Of course there is going to be sacrifice of personal time unless your life was just as busy before. For most people I think there is a big adjustment. I am sure it is harder for the one who did not make the huge change of starting the program. I think taking tiny bits of time to remind them you have not abandoned them can help too. Seriously, something as stupid as picking up their favorite candy bar while you are at the store lets them know they were on your mind. (I know that sounds really stupid).
Don't forget though, it takes both of you, so the best you can do is make your best efforts and intentions (and what is "best" now may not be the same as when you were not in your program). Good luck!