How do you let a school know how serious you are about them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppalachiaGrrl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really love my local med school and I really don't want to move my family (family and friends here, home, husband loves his current job, my mother could take care of my kids including my special needs son, etc.). How can I let them know that they are my #1 pick? Does is help to only apply to one school? if I dont get in the first time there but get in elsewhere can I defer at the other school to see if I get in the second time at choice #1?? Anyone know??

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

AppalachiaGrrl said:
I really love my local med school and I really don't want to move my family (family and friends here, home, husband loves his current job, my mother could take care of my kids including my special needs son, etc.). How can I let them know that they are my #1 pick? Does is help to only apply to one school? if I dont get in the first time there but get in elsewhere can I defer at the other school to see if I get in the second time at choice #1?? Anyone know??

thanks...

You could go EDP. There are pros and cons to it though. Do a search on it and you'll get all kinds of information.

Members don't see this ad :)
efex101 said:
You go there set an appt with the Dean and tell them.

At what point in the process do you do this? (before applying, right after, etc.??) Sorry if I seem dense.

Your best bet is probably before you apply but either way it does not matter. Setting up an appointment is really good because that way they can put a face to a name and hear from you why the interest in this specific school. This way not only do you tell them about your interest but maybe they can give you some ideas about your chances to that school and if applying EDP is a good choice for you.

AppalachiaGrrl said:
At what point in the process do you do this? (before applying, right after, etc.??) Sorry if I seem dense.

I asked to talk to a Dean of Admissions, or anyone with any knowledge on applying, applications, chances of getting in etc., here at Mayo. But since I had already submitted my application I was told it was not appropriate for me to talk to anyone. I don't know about other schools, but you may want to talk to them before you apply, just in case. I have heard that it can help. I don't have any personal experience to back that up though.