How do you make pills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing there's some kind of pill press apparatus...anyone know how much they cost and where you can get one?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a "pill". However, I assume you mean tablets. Tablets usually have a couple inactive ingredients (diluent) in addition to the active drug. The inactive ingredients usually serve as either a bulking agent (makes up most of a tablet), binder (substance that mixes powders together and makes them cohesive), disintegrants (helps break up & dissolve a tablet), glidants (helps with the coloring), and lubricants (helps keep the tablets in the press moving). You can make tablets three diffenent ways: direct compression, dry granulation and wet granulation. I would explain the process, but it can get quite complicated quickly.

If you would like to buy equipment, check out www.pccarx.com

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
MS05' said:
..anyone know how much they cost and where you can get one?

Umm... is this really important information that you really need to have? Do you have plans to start a Homemade Exastacy business or be the first to concoct the cure to cancer?

NYCillini said:
Umm... is this really important information that you really need to have? Do you have plans to start a Homemade Exastacy business or be the first to concoct the cure to cancer?

his profile says he is a med student. Maybe its just blind curiosity?

My guess is that there would be plenty of such equipment available on Ebay. They probably have the best prices too, unless your second-hand connections are pretty good.

The raw inactive ingredients may very well be available on Ebay as well. Just look on any OTC's label to see what inactives they use as binders/fillers.

They're essentially sedimentary rocks...

bananaface said:
It's not legal for anyone but a pharmacist to compound. That stuff ought not to be on E-bay.

Oh please. Look at all those herbal "medicines". They're not "drugs", they're "food products". Such are the current regulations. It wouldn't be illegal for any run-of-the-mill Joe to make these himself/herself for himself/herself.

speaking of herbal medicines, do pharmacist learn about any of htem? what if someone is taking an herbal medicine that could interact with an Rx drug and doesn't tell anyone or the pharmacist hasn't learned anything about that particular herbal medicine?

aubieRx said:
speaking of herbal medicines, do pharmacist learn about any of htem? what if someone is taking an herbal medicine that could interact with an Rx drug and doesn't tell anyone or the pharmacist hasn't learned anything about that particular herbal medicine?

Our herbal class was an elective, but they just changed it to a required course. They reduced the number of required elective credit hours down to 8 from 10.

aubieRx said:

Yes, we go over it in school.

Herbal med interacts with RX drugs.
Patients sometimes do and don't tell the docs and pharmacists about the herbal meds they are taking.

aubieRx said:
we go over it in otc and i believe they are also adding an elective...

ZpackSux said:
Yes, we go over it in school.

Herbal med interacts with RX drugs.
Patients sometimes do and don't tell the docs and pharmacists about the herbal meds they are taking.
But that was like 20 years ago. There are more things out on the market now :smuggrin:

does anyone know about how many herbal medicines there are on the market? it seems like if you go to a healthfood store they are in abundance.

I sometimes wonder how safe/potent all of those herbal medicines are and why they aren't more tightly regulated.

aubieRx said:
does anyone know about how many herbal medicines there are on the market? it seems like if you go to a healthfood store they are in abundance.

I sometimes wonder how safe/potent all of those herbal medicines are and why they aren't more tightly regulated.
I think the real questions to ask are:
1. Which of the herbal medicines have any effect? I'll bet the number is somewhat low and limits how many "food products" you need to have any knowledge of.
2. Which have some kind of effect that we don't even know about?

SomeGuy said:
I think the real questions to ask are:
1. Which of the herbal medicines have any effect? I'll bet the number is somewhat low and limits how many "food products" you need to have any knowledge of.
2. Which have some kind of effect that we don't even know about?

They can have effects on the meds that you are taking, which is a bigger problem. They can inhibit or induce CYP enzymes.

The herbals themselves are pretty benign. They may mask a problem, though. For instance, saw palmetto can help with prostate symptoms. But, you are better off going to the doctor to see if you have cancer instead of just treating the symptom with an herbal.

How about Grape Fruit..ok so it's not a herbal med..

bananaface said:
nor does it consist of two words :cool:

I'm reporting you to mods for insulting a fella SDNer.. :thumbup:

ok... i thought tablet presses were illegal to own due to extacy mfg. and you need all sorts of paperwork from the fda??