How do you make this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walden5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My eventual goal is to go to Dental School and then pursue an OMS degree after that. How does the residency work to be a surgeon compare to that of an MD? I was told that Oral and Max. school is held at the dental school with didactic course work compared to the years spent at the hospital for those MD's. Is that true that Dentists just have lecture for the 5-7 years in classroom? Second, How is one suppsose to support a family during their dental residency on a $30,000 stipend and pay off loans at the same time? I understand the econmic dissability in dental school but it seems impossible to raise a family during the pursuit of an OMS degree? Im hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a good portion of didactic work, especially if you go to a 6 year program because then you're doing a few years of med school too. But in general, you will be working a lot just like any other surgical residency. ~120+ hours/week mostly in the hospital. Your dental school loans are deferred during your residency so you just have to pay for living expenses off the stipend.