how do you overcome procrastination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantVCUdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am a big procrastinator, how do i overcome it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is possible, but you get better at it with more classes.

I don't think it is possible, but you get better at it with more classes.

I am super good at it when i am challenged, but when i don't have much to do or when i take easy classes... i procrastinate like there's another 10 years ahead

Members don't see this ad :)
So i am a big procrastinator, how do i overcome it?

I believe most people have a natural tendency to procrastinate. I believe it comes to the fact that humans are naturally good at working under-pressure (no matter how much you hate it).

When you procrastinate, you force yourself to end up in situations where your ALMOST out of time... and the extra added pressure makes you work smarter / harder.... I dunno its just my theory.

However, I believe this will NOT be an issue in dental school. They throw sooo much material at you in a single week that your constantly forced to study all the time.... if you don't, failing or being at the lowest rank in the class is the outcome

nike-just-do-it1.jpg

Just think to yourself "what I do in the next few years will determine what I'll be doing for the rest of my life".... Let the fear of failure motivate & spring you into action! lol.

I think it's difficult to change. You might always be a procrastinator. But that doesn't mean you can't overcome it in school. My wife has a big problem with procrastination--she did in college and still does now in her graduate program. I just don't understand it :D

Maybe it might help for you to think "if I just sit down and finish this, then I can reward myself by _________" insert favorite activity. Rewards keep me motivated, anyway.

I dont think it is a major issue, if you are under pressure and perform better with the deadline close then who cares. As long as the dead line is met and successfully

I'm actually enrolled in a psychology course right now and current research shows that pressure due to procrastination actually does not allow to work harder or more effectively. According to my text, studies show that procrastination has a negative impact on quality of work performance and that time management is actually a better predictor of college GPA than SAT scores. The book suggests some time management techniques as well: monitoring your use of time, clarifying your goals for projects, planning your activities using a set schedule, protecting your work time by getting rid of distractions, and increasing our efficiency (tackle one task at a time, handle papers only once, group similar tasks together, making use of your down time).

I was a chronic procrastinator, and I've found that breaking tasks into smaller chunks works wonders for me. Also, making sure I'm in a quiet area. No music, TV, or anything like that. I'm less stressed and I'm more focused on the task at hand. And since I'm doing them in small chunks, I can easily spend 30 minutes to an hour on something and then move on to something I would rather be doing.

Hope that helped a little! :]

I haven't seen anyone overcome it. I blame myself less for procrastinating by considering it a challenge -- like playing NFL Madden on hard mode or eating a greasy burger to challenge my heart.

I have always been pretty bad about procrastinating. However, I've gotten a lot better during school because I just write out "To-Do" lists. I know it sounds lame, but just write out all the things you need to do within the next week, or ought to do, and get something done every week. I usually try and knock out the harder stuff earlier in the week so that I can relax later. I still put off assignments and projects, but as time to turn them in winds down, I just learn to manage my time using lists...That's helped me.

For me, I just get a C on a test, think about how all the work I've done so far is for nothing and I'll never be a dentist, and that gets me out of my procrastination streak real quick.

For me, I just get a C on a test, think about how all the work I've done so far is for nothing and I'll never be a dentist, and that gets me out of my procrastination streak real quick.

This one:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:! I got too caught up having fun traveling for my interviews that I procrastinated on my biochem test and received a C.....below the average grade...Now i find myself studying biochem everyday as part of my daily routine. Brush teeth, take shower, read some biochem, eat food etc. This method worked wonders! gonna kick ass on the 2nd exam hopefully.:D

Learn how to fix your procrastination problem later...you have plenty of time to take care of it in the future.