How do you prepare for the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pickmedental

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my first interview and would like to know how you guys plan to prepare for the interview. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have a good sleep the day before.
Be confident.
Iron your clothes.
Read up on the school.

Thanks...I was referring for actual prep like mock interviews etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest reading all of the interview feedback here on SDN, and then be sure to go through the dental school website, and try to find a few interesting things about the school, like what they're working on in research, or just interesting facts. IE, at Pitt, the Dental School is located in Salk Hall, the same building where Jonas Salk invented the Polio Vaccine! Also, the most important thing I tell everyone about going to an interview is HAVE QUESTIONS READY! Make a list of at least 3 questions to ask the interviewer. If you don't have any questions, you put a very bad closing to the interview, and you don't want that to be their last impression of you.

what are some goo questions to ask during the interview?

Ask things that you're actually curious about (that aren't too controversial), or just other things that you want more info about. Try to get a feel for your interviewer, and ask things that you think they'd be glad to talk about. For example, my interviewer at Pitt was one of their bigger researchers, so I asked about research, and we talked about that for another 15-20 minutes. Some people ask about clinical things, or mission trips, that kind of thing.

Try to find out how many students go HAM each semester

Hey guys...I was told by another SDN user about this resource and wanted to share...there a service iprepdental that prepares students for the dental school interview...I checked it out and its look good...a lil expensive but I think it worth it...im going to register for my first interview (sep 16) and ill keep u guys posted.

Check the interview feedback section for some example questions (they were spot on for most of my interviews last year), shave, extra deodorant, nice suit and tie, and try to arrive 20 minutes early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...I was told by another SDN user about this resource and wanted to share...there a service iprepdental that prepares students for the dental school interview...I checked it out and its look good...a lil expensive but I think it worth it...im going to register for my first interview (sep 16) and ill keep u guys posted.
Let us know how it is. I heard about it and I am debating if it is worth the money

Anything that gives you a competitive advantage worth the money in my opinion ;)

Does your school have some kind of pre-health advising office? If so, check with them and see if they provide mock interviews for students. And practice a lot, but don't memorize your responses word for word.

I actually had a mock interview with my school adviser who read a bunch of questions from a piece of paper and could not guide me how to answer challenging questions. She never been in dental school and doesn't know anything about dental schools...she btw prepares for any graduate school that u want...my friend was last year on the committee team and told me that 60% of students are answering the same answers...knowing the questions is not enough in my opinion ...how u answer and how "attractive" are your responses matters most. if you read answers that someone wrote on SDN these answers are not unique bc probably someone else said the exact same thing....in my opinion in this part of the application grades and scores do not matter as much...its who has a better interview...bc we all know that actually only a small percent of interviewee actually get in....

I actually had a mock interview with my school adviser who read a bunch of questions from a piece of paper and could not guide me how to answer challenging questions. She never been in dental school and doesn't know anything about dental schools...she btw prepares for any graduate school that u want...my friend was last year on the committee team and told me that 60% of students are answering the same answers...knowing the questions is not enough in my opinion ...how u answer and how "attractive" are your responses matters most. if you read answers that someone wrote on SDN these answers are not unique bc probably someone else said the exact same thing....in my opinion in this part of the application grades and scores do not matter as much...its who has a better interview...bc we all know that actually only a small percent of interviewee actually get in....
that's good.
My date are Sept 28th and 30th. Roughly 35 days. Right now I am just writing down answers for each question. (over 100 questions!!!! drive me insane). Once I am done with it. I am gonna read out loud over and over again to find out where to pause and stress out. I am also trying to see where I can say a joke to make interviewers chuckle. :D then I am probably do mock interviews with some ppl .

Good luck to you. Sounds like you are planning to ace the interview with killa swag!

Good luck to you. Sounds like you are planning to ace the interview with killa swag![/QUOTE]

Haha...yes im not playing games or taking any chances...I want to ace my interviews...I invested too much money and time to get so far...ill keep u posted how my mock interview goes on the 29th...good luck to u 2!!

Don't be fake in ur responses ...be honest

At my recent interview at case I was told that I came well prepared n I did my hw...do ur research about the school n why u want to go there ...that's a no brainer (u should know why u applied to a certain school)

Hope this helps

ye if u come off genuine and truly interested you should be fine!

Best advice!! be youreslf.... don't try to sound too perfect....

BTW just from my experience...I was asked several times "If you could meet anybody, in all of history, and eat dinner with them, who would it be? Its not a hard question, but in my opinion it shows a lot about your character....

Good luck to all of u!

Shuna thanks for all of your advice and help! :thumbup:

I did my first mock interview and critique session with iprepdental, I thought it was really great. I know how I want to answer questions in my interviews but my answers needed some tweeking, I really feel more confident after using their service. It was definitely worth the money.

I did my first mock interview and critique session with iprepdental, I thought it was really great. I know how I want to answer questions in my interviews but my answers needed some tweeking, I really feel more confident after using their service. It was definitely worth the money.

Why do you sound like one of those typical paid testimonials?
biggrin.gif

i think you can do this for free with a friend.

I actually paid the money and i dont regret at all. I got from them critique that i will never get from anyone who have never been in dental school. my 2 cents. I personally highly recommend, but if some ppl have friends that have been or are in dental school that's a great option as well. As long as u go prepared for the interview that's what matter.

I actually paid the money and i dont regret at all. I got from them critique that i will never get from anyone who have never been in dental school. my 2 cents. I personally highly recommend, but if some ppl have friends that have been or are in dental school that's a great option as well. As long as u go prepared for the interview that's what matter.

Of course you'd recommend it, you run that website.