How do you prevent your glasses from fogging?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm sure that there are others dealing with the same problem, and I want to know how you solved it...

I wear glasses (don't suggest I switch to contacts; I've tried that but my eyes dont like them), and I constantly have a problem with fog building up *every single time* I exhale. It's freaking annoying. And, in the near future, could effect patient care.

Some surgical masks work better than others (the more foam over the bridge of the nose, the better), but even then I have to exhale slowly so I don't fog up everything.

Is there some sort of surgical mask you guys have found which makes it *impossible* to fog up your glasses? And is it normal for a med student to carry a bunch of 'personal' surgical masks with them (or would some look at me like im a freak?)?

Am I even looking the right way at this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

My shades don't fog. Maybe some sort of a layer/coating? Ask your optician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shades in the OR? Someone thinks they're too cool for school...
:watching: No. I cracked a helmet with a tinted shield, so I was using one with a clear face shield...which required shades. It gets pretty stuffy under that helmet in midsummer. If the shades didn't fog there, I don't think they will in the OR.

:watching: No. I cracked a helmet with a tinted shield, so I was using one with a clear face shield...which required shades. It gets pretty stuffy under that helmet in midsummer. If the shades didn't fog there, I don't think they will in the OR.

Nah it's different -- in the OR if you don't have a good seal at the top of your mask it funnels your breath up and toward the undersides of your glasses. In a helmet when you exhale it mainly goes forward, not directly up. Its not really a contained space problem. So you wouldn't necessarily have the same issues.

Anyway, tape works.

I see people with glasses in the OT all the time. Is it a nose size issue? OP - rhinoplasty!

I use the green surgical masks with the sticky backing, but I don't remove the plastic tape. Then press firmly over bridge and orbital rim. Actually seems to prevent fogging better than if I use the sticky backing. The tape diverts airflow or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Put a strip of tape horizontally along the top of the mask, especially along either side of the bridge of your nose.

You mean literally tape the top of the mask to my face? (Not questioning the technique, just making sure I understand.) BTW, wouldn't that look weird?

I see people with glasses in the OT all the time. Is it a nose size issue? OP - rhinoplasty!

:shifty:

I'm not averse to surgery, but I was hoping there was a simpler and cheaper answer....

I use the green surgical masks with the sticky backing, but I don't remove the plastic tape. Then press firmly over bridge and orbital rim. Actually seems to prevent fogging better than if I use the sticky backing. The tape diverts airflow or something.

I've seen those before, but never had the chance to test them to see if they work. I'll look into that.

You mean literally tape the top of the mask to my face? (Not questioning the technique, just making sure I understand.) BTW, wouldn't that look weird?

Yes and yes. but you'll look a lot less stupid than fumbling and not being able to see. Nobody really cares. Now that you've heard this you'll probably start to notice a few seniors and attendings do this.

Definitely track down the masks with the sticky strip at the top. I use these without any issues, as do all the physicians I know with glasses.

One more thing: I've noticed n95 masks are much better at preventing fogging. Would anyone notice/care if I used one for every trip to the OR?

BTW, I've used this kind before. They work decently:

0033259_3m-n95-respirator-surgical-masks-1860_260.jpeg

Thanks guys. This advice is really helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)

The green sticky masks are the key.

The other key is to make sure the bottom ties on the mask aren't too tight - gives you a little ventilation for airflow to move down and out.

Yes. That's what I do if I can't find the aforementioned sticky mask. Even the disposable eye protection fogs on me, to say nothing of if I am wearing loupes or my glasses (I rarely wear my glasses in the OR).

Reactions: 1 users
One more thing: I've noticed n95 masks are much better at preventing fogging. Would anyone notice/care if I used one for every trip to the OR?

BTW, I've used this kind before. They work decently:

0033259_3m-n95-respirator-surgical-masks-1860_260.jpeg

Thanks guys. This advice is really helpful.

That would look much more weird than sticking a piece of tape on the bridge of your nose.

Also aren't N95s kind of pricy?

SouthernIM's advice is exactly what I do. I wear the green sticky masks and make sure the top part is closely adhered to my face but then I leave the bottom part of the mask under my chin loose. I wear operative loupes because I found that these fog much less than anything else.

It's really a matter of seeing what works best for you.

tape works great if you cannot get the mask with the sticky stuff on it. i suggest paper tape. easier on the skin. also if you are female, may want to go easy on the make up or you will have a strip where it has been removed by the tape.

That would look much more weird than sticking a piece of tape on the bridge of your nose.

Also aren't N95s kind of pricy?

They are very pricey. Do NOT use an N95 for anything other than a patient on airborne precautions or you will definitely hear about it very quickly and look clueless.

also if you are female, may want to go easy on the make up or you will have a strip where it has been removed by the tape.

If you are a female who wears makeup under her surgical mask... you probably have your priorities mixed up.

Find and buy a product called Cat Crap. Sporting goods stores sell it. It's a little red container of blue goo. Slather a little bit on your lenses and wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

Works wonders.

As others have said, make sure your mask is pinched down tightly on the nose and around the nose. Place a strip of tape over the top part of the mask. Also, make sure the mask isn't too tight around the other parts where it makes contact with the face. I'm not saying make it loose, because that defeats the purpose of the mask, just make sure there's room to breathe. The air has to go somewhere when you exhale, and come from somewhere when you inhale...

pro tip, from future surgeon.
a tiny bit of Saliva is great to keep fog from condensing on the glass.
Some may abject this idea, i understand.
Or you can put like a tiny bit of dishsoap gel and rub it dry.

I dont wear glasses, but all this works perfectly on swimmin googles, so i guess i can transpose my knowledge.

pro tip, from future surgeon.
a tiny bit of Saliva is great to keep fog from condensing on the glass.
Some may abject this idea, i understand.
Or you can put like a tiny bit of dishsoap gel and rub it dry.

I dont wear glasses, but all this works perfectly on swimmin googles, so i guess i can transpose my knowledge.

I use saliva to prevent fogging on my diving mask. Works great. Cat Crap works better on glasses though in my experience. Lasts longer too. Saliva works in a pinch, though.

yeah there are a multitude of anti fog products that work well. Dishsoap can be an inexpensive option.

Ah, foggy glasses. Second only to a scrub pee spot in making you look like a total amateur.

Lots of solid pro-tips ITT. Personally, I just wear contact lenses, but will hopefully get some baller loupes once I become a real doctor one day.

Reactions: 1 users
Put a strip of tape horizontally along the top of the mask, especially along either side of the bridge of your nose.

This. Also some masks are designed with adhesive on them. Look for ones with the plastic removable strip. Sadly my school doesn't stock them regularly.

So you get a really up close view of the globs of fat???

;):whistle:
LOL yes, but they do help with seeing nerves, Cooper's ligaments, etc. and even edges of invasive cancers. I"m hoping as I get older I won't have to switch the lenses out for prescription ones as that's the most expensive part.

Besides I like the old school look of 'em! ;)

I always use tape too. I also like the mask with faceshield built in. Sometimes will actually tape a regular mask, and use a mask with FS, flipped upside down, mask part folded and FS part in front of eyes for really bloody stuff. (Wouldn't suggest this last one unless it's common at your institution.)

So, I'm sure that there are others dealing with the same problem, and I want to know how you solved it...

I wear glasses (don't suggest I switch to contacts; I've tried that but my eyes dont like them), and I constantly have a problem with fog building up *every single time* I exhale. It's freaking annoying. And, in the near future, could effect patient care.

Some surgical masks work better than others (the more foam over the bridge of the nose, the better), but even then I have to exhale slowly so I don't fog up everything.

Is there some sort of surgical mask you guys have found which makes it *impossible* to fog up your glasses? And is it normal for a med student to carry a bunch of 'personal' surgical masks with them (or would some look at me like im a freak?)?

Stop looking at Winged Scapula.

LOL yes, but they do help with seeing nerves, Cooper's ligaments, etc. and even edges of invasive cancers. I"m hoping as I get older I won't have to switch the lenses out for prescription ones as that's the most expensive part.

Besides I like the old school look of 'em! ;)

Do you use them every case? I feel like the angle would be pretty hard on your neck if you're doing skin sparing mastectomies?

Do you use them every case? I feel like the angle would be pretty hard on your neck if you're doing skin sparing mastectomies?
I do.

The difficult ones are really the nipple sparing mastectomies with an inframammary incision – just finished one – when the angle is too acute I just sit down which helps.

And of course forcing the attractive male medical students to massage my sore neck afterwards also helps. Unless they have beards and then I'm going to fail them anyway. ;)

I do.

The difficult ones are really the nipple sparing mastectomies with an inframammary incision – just finished one – when the angle is too acute I just sit down which helps.

Yeah that's what I was picturing...that seemed like a long way to tunnel a flap while craning your neck upwards to see through the loupes.

And of course forcing the attractive male medical students to massage my sore neck afterwards also helps. Unless they have beards and then I'm going to fail them anyway. ;)

We get in trouble if we try and get the female medical students to give us back massages...

Yes, tape the top of the mask to you nose/top of your cheeks. Works every time.

I've seen those before, but never had the chance to test them to see if they work. I'll look into that.

Yes, these masks work the best. As mentioned, pinch the nose to form to your face well.

Another thing I find that works well is when tying the bottom of the mask, give yourself a little extra room so your breath can come out the bottom/sides instead of being forced out the top. Some circulators get pissy and tie you tighter, but for the most part I've been successful with this technique.

Don't breathe ;)
Just kidding...

You can try simply putting more pressure on the metal mold at the bridge of your nose and leave the bottom of your mask a little looser so that you can breathe comfortably. The key is to leave the bottom part away from your face as much as you can but still have it tied in the back!

or you can try using the plastic with mask (connected ones) upside down (with the plastic downwards), I've seen some attendings and residents do this, but option 1 works best for me!

Some circulators get pissy and tie you tighter, but for the most part I've been successful with this technique.

Grr catty circulators...

I had a circulator insist on putting a bouffant cap over my scrub cap while I was scrubbed in, because it wasn't covering 2/3 of my hair in the back (supposedly that's the policy). When she put it on me she asked whether I wanted it above or below my ears, I replied that she better put it below my ears to make sure and get enough hair covered...

Grr catty circulators...

I had a circulator insist on putting a bouffant cap over my scrub cap while I was scrubbed in, because it wasn't covering 2/3 of my hair in the back (supposedly that's the policy). When she put it on me she asked whether I wanted it above or below my ears, I replied that she better put it below my ears to make sure and get enough hair covered...

You have long hair? Can't picture it

Don't breathe ;)
Just kidding...

You can try simply putting more pressure on the metal mold at the bridge of your nose and leave the bottom of your mask a little looser so that you can breathe comfortably. The key is to leave the bottom part away from your face as much as you can but still have it tied in the back!

or you can try using the plastic with mask (connected ones) upside down (with the plastic downwards), I've seen some attendings and residents do this, but option 1 works best for me!

Hmmmm... Tracheostomy would be 100% effective, I suppose...

That might bring up a host of new problems though.

Yeah that's what I was picturing...that seemed like a long way to tunnel a flap while craning your neck upwards to see through the loupes.

Most of the time I'm probably not looking through the magnification lenses anyway, so its not that big of a deal.

We get in trouble if we try and get the female medical students to give us back massages...

Darn double standard!

I am determined to never use sticky tape over my nose and don't have access to the sticky backed masks. I make sure the mask is contoured properly to my nose/face then i rip off the inferior ties to keep the bottom of the mask loose - I then do some big exhales to make sure there is no fog.