How do you respond to the ones who think you can't make it to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kofi Darko

EverywhereIgoI
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I don't, usually. I just ignore them because they're usually dealing with some failure they've had in their lives and are trying to take me down with them. *shrugs* If you have to say something, just say "OK" and walk away.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My reply. ..

Attachments

• snl-church-lady.jpg
    snl-church-lady.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
Depends. Hear them out first, because maybe they're seeing something you're not. All the "rah rah you can do it" cheerleading is wasted on you if you have a subpar app or a poor work ethic. Heck, if you're being totally unrealistic, they're doing you a favor by giving you a dose of hard, cold reality (although hopefully it's given kindly). But if these people don't have any good reasons for thinking you won't make it, then why do you care what they think? Talk about it to someone else instead.

Reactions: 1 user
If they don't have useful info like Q said, my response is to use it as motivation to try and prove them wrong. And sometimes it can be useful to listen to what their concerns are because there might be another reason hiding behind what they say. ie "that's such a long, difficult road. Are you sure you can do it." Might mean they're just worried about the emotional cost, or worried you won't have time for them anymore." Other people just like to drag you down.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with it all that much.of course I haven't really told many people outside of my close circle of friends for the most part.

I sent an email saying I got in and added na na na na boo boo. so petty lol :p

Tell them to shove it up theirs..................... and working hard and making it. I was the one told be several that I can't make it. Oh he is too old (41 now), wast of time, been too long out of school (9 years now), not enough this, not enough that. I ignored everyone and studied hard for MCATs. Worked hard for my EC and LORs to make me an attractive applicant. Well, now I am in and will be starting this year. They should know never say never. I tell you that you can do it. Work hard for it if you want it bad enough. Good luck.

I divorced the first one, walked away from the rest. My own pre-med advisor didn't think I would get in. Took me 8 years. There is no looking back, only forward.

Reactions: 3 users