How do you study/manage your time in dental school?

Started by d9m7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

d9m7

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My semesters are 8am-5pm, with 4 hours per day of intense lecture material per day. It takes me about 2.5-3 hours to fully understand each hour of material, which I know is a long time.

I also don’t really get much from being in lecture because the professors usually speak too quickly for my comprehension, but sometimes attendance is mandatory. I try to write down what I can, but I usually have to rewatch the lectures.

I have about 5.5 hours per weekday from when I should be home to when I should be asleep. This doesn’t account for prepping and eating dinner, exercising, “me-time”, giving attention to my bf who lives with me, getting ready for bed, etc. In the Fall, I will really need to get through reviewing those 4 hours of lecture the same day or I will be behind for the next day.

My question for you all is how do you study/manage your time in dental school, while staying active, spending time with friends/significant other/family, eating healthily, and getting enough sleep? What techniques have you used to help you be more efficient with your time? What advice do you have for someone who still hasn’t been able to figure it all out?

*also posted this on r/dentalschool
 
You'll find time to do the things that are really important and you'll skip the things that are less important.

Similar to you, I didn't and still don't get much out of lectures. I would skip all of them that I could and would watch/study them after. It will take you a bit to find your groove and figure out what works best for you.