how do you take concise notes from the content review books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 9 weeks from my MCAT and still doing Bio Content review...my note taking is taking an unholy amount of time. I was using the TPR book but thought it was far too detailed, so I bought the EK book. I use word to take the notes then transfer them to Anki for solidifying the content. I think my biggest problem is I feel the need to write down every little detail-- which I'm sure isn't a great idea.
Since this process is taking such a long time, I'm thinking about just making anki cards from the full Kaplan MCAT quicksheets, learning that, and using practice questions (UWorld) for the rest of content review.
What kind of strategies did y'all use for most time-efficient content review and note taking? Anything helps!!

Members don't see this ad.

@nembry
Have you practiced any material for the MCAT, or worked with the other subjects? Also, at first I was the same way in terms of taking notes on details that wouldn’t be necessary in the long run. What helped me was after doing practice questions you really start to see a pattern on which content is most important to the AAMC. Other users will have some more advice but that is one thing that helped me. Not only that, but you should consult the content list on AAMC if you haven’t done that yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Practice problems helped me move forward. I could take notes and read review books for days but you will not start to see big gains until you take tests and do more questions. Do all AAMC content. This is the best resource you are going to get. Slay the beast.

Reactions: 1 users
@nembry
Have you practiced any material for the MCAT, or worked with the other subjects? Also, at first I was the same way in terms of taking notes on details that wouldn’t be necessary in the long run. What helped me was after doing practice questions you really start to see a pattern on which content is most important to the AAMC. Other users will have some more advice but that is one thing that helped me. Not only that, but you should consult the content list on AAMC if you haven’t done that yet.

yes, I've been doing UWorld questions and the post-chapter practice in the books. How did you avoid taking too much time taking notes on those minute details? After doing practice, I still have difficulty knowing what is important, what is high-yield, and what isn't. I'm really in quite the pit, I'm afraid I'll have to postpone my MCAT but that ruins all my plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I've been doing UWorld questions and the post-chapter practice in the books. How did you avoid taking too much time taking notes on those minute details? After doing practice, I still have difficulty knowing what is important, what is high-yield, and what isn't. I'm really in quite the pit, I'm afraid I'll have to postpone my MCAT but that ruins all my plans.

All of the graphics, charts, and information that uworld provided was immensely important and high yield.

I found note taking to be inefficient, and quite honestly, a complete waste of study time. It's better to just read through the material and do a lot of practice problems.

The only time Anki was useful was to memorize that 100-page Khan Academy notes for psych/soc in couple of weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
Like everyone has said, it's about doing practice problems and learning as you go. Early on I would miss some questions due to content but as time passed I found most of my errors were misreading the question and not trusting my intuition. The only way I was able to get better was to get better at figuring out what they were asking me, and that does not come from taking copious notes.

At some point you should take Test 1 from AAMC and see where you fall. This will give you a realistic point of reference. Take it timed and under realistic testing conditions (as best as possible).

Also, if you are not applying this year and you are not performing well, move the date. Do not force it. Take time to prepare. You have many months until the next cycle, use them wisely.

I was in your position once. What helped me that most, or should I say is helping me the most, is active learning. After going through the content actively, do as many practice problems that you can. Like I said, I was once in your position and had to push back my MCAT date, so don't be discouraged if you have to as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, if you are not applying this year and you are not performing well, move the date. Do not force it. Take time to prepare. You have many months until the next cycle, use them wisely.

thanks for the advice! Yes, I am applying this next cycle (the cycle to matriculate Fall 2020). so maybe May would be the latest time I should take it?

Had the exact same problem with my note taking! Way, way too time consuming at first. I like your plan with Anki, as this is what I transitioned to (sorta). Used Kaplan and Quizlet to condense information and move through content faster. I’d agree with most others, as well; use recall and practice questions to learn/solidify information. If a topic is giving you extra trouble, that is the time you go back to the books to read the specifics. Otherwise, the price you pay in precious MCAT study time isn’t worth what you’ll take away from extremely meticulous note taking. Hope this helps!