how do you take notes in dental classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymouse1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you take notes in classes? Assuming that there is a ppt. Do you use a tablet pc? or print them out. or just on paper...

If you do use a tablet pc, can you compare it against a macbook and add some details on the model and capabilities, softwares...etc that you'd recommend.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer printing and notes on paper.

I think only 1 person in my class has a Tablet.

I would say the majority print and take notes on paper, the rest (maybe 20-30%) use a PC/Mac.

Granted this is based on only those that actually take notes which may be 70% of my class at best...

keepin it old school with printed notes -- dont like the computer bc im not as efficient with it for notes and it keeps from being distracted as easily

if you like using computer for notes and your lectures are pdf
http://pdf-xchange-viewer.en.softonic.com/
try this pdf reader. pretty nice and lets you take notes right on your file and is wayyy easier to use than adobe

2 folks in my class have tablets but dont write on it (use it as any other laptop)

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you take notes in classes? Assuming that there is a ppt. Do you use a tablet pc? or print them out. or just on paper...

If you do use a tablet pc, can you compare it against a macbook and add some details on the model and capabilities, softwares...etc that you'd recommend.

Thanks!

I use a computer, but honestly, I would recommend printing it out and writing for a lot of classes. This lets you draw funny things that the professor scribbles on the board, lets you circle things as rapidly as the professors do, and lets you add notes on the actual slides.

Unless you have a tablet PC, that stuff is hard to do on a touchpad.

Also, I usually end up on Facebook and SDN during class - something that can't happen if you just bring in a packet of notes.

You can worry about saving paper and going green when you've passed your basic sciences.

EDIT: .... I'm going to take my own advice and start showing up to lectures with a pad of paper instead of my laptop. Thanks for the thread :p

I just take notes/highlight on the power point or word doc. I hate clutter, so having a ton of papers drives me crazy and I am less likely to go through them. It's worked well for me for the last year and a half!

I use a computer, but honestly, I would recommend printing it out and writing for a lot of classes. This lets you draw funny things that the professor scribbles on the board, lets you circle things as rapidly as the professors do, and lets you add notes on the actual slides.

Unless you have a tablet PC, that stuff is hard to do on a touchpad.

Also, I usually end up on Facebook and SDN during class - something that can't happen if you just bring in a packet of notes.

You can worry about saving paper and going green when you've passed your basic sciences.

EDIT: .... I'm going to take my own advice and start showing up to lectures with a pad of paper instead of my laptop. Thanks for the thread :p

I use my iPad and the iAnnotate app..i dont write too much, but its easy to use when the prof says things about pics/slice images..its hard to label those fast on a computer, and I just am too lazy/hate printing out stuff and bringing them to class.

Most in my class take notes on their computer... I use Mac's feature that lets you turn anything into a PDF and turn all the PPTs into PDFs and annotate right on the PDF itself. I HATE having tons of papers so I virtually never print notes.

I want all my stuff in one place that doesn't get bigger as the semester goes on... so the computer it is.

A lot of our class uses Macs and annotates PDF's for our notes. Some use PC's and OneNote. I've found that to be a lot better and easier than carrying around about 10 hefty binders.

when annotating in PDF, can you circle things quickly?... Thanks!

bump.

Last edited:
Most in my class take notes on their computer... I use Mac's feature that lets you turn anything into a PDF and turn all the PPTs into PDFs and annotate right on the PDF itself. I HATE having tons of papers so I virtually never print notes.

I want all my stuff in one place that doesn't get bigger as the semester goes on... so the computer it is.

Boomersooner10,

I like this idea, I can't imagine how cluttered things might get taking ≈ 50 credits a year.

Can you explain how to convert files (esp. doc and ppt) to pdf on a mac? Do I need a program to be able to do this? I have a mac, but have not figured this out yet.

Also, I've been told that some classes sell the binders at the beginning of the semester with the notes already printed out for you, but did you get/need electronic copies of your notes from your classes (e.g. biochem, phys, neuro, and clinically-related classes) to be able to convert them from doc or ppt to pdf?

Boomersooner10,

I like this idea, I can't imagine how cluttered things might get taking ≈ 50 credits a year.

Can you explain how to convert files (esp. doc and ppt) to pdf on a mac? Do I need a program to be able to do this? I have a mac, but have not figured this out yet.

Also, I've been told that some classes sell the binders at the beginning of the semester with the notes already printed out for you, but did you get/need electronic copies of your notes from your classes (e.g. biochem, phys, neuro, and clinically-related classes) to be able to convert them from doc or ppt to pdf?

I just open the file in powerpoint to go to File, Save As, and then change the format to a PDF and save.

I have found that printing off the notes works best for me in most classes. I just have a 3 inch binder with dividers and I take out material from old exams if I need more space.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just open the file in powerpoint to go to File, Save As, and then change the format to a PDF and save.

I have found that printing off the notes works best for me in most classes. I just have a 3 inch binder with dividers and I take out material from old exams if I need more space.

Thanks

when we write comment on the PDF, can that be saved? and can that be printed out?
Thanks!

what program do you use to do the commenting? (for a mac..please) Do you find that you can type fast enough and mark it up in time to keep up with the lecture/professor.

thanks again!

what program do you use to do the commenting? (for a mac..please) Do you find that you can type fast enough and mark it up in time to keep up with the lecture/professor.

thanks again!

You can add notes via text books by going to Tools --> Annotate --> Add Text. This will bring up a toolbar at the bottom which allows you to add text boxes along with other basic shapes.

I have found that for myself it is hard to do this quickly enough to stay up with the lecturer. That is why for most classes end up printing the powerpoint slides 6/page and handwriting notes directly on them. However, some people in my class seem to be able to do this with no problem. Maybe I just don't have good enough hand skills.... ;)

and I just use Preview which is that standard PDF viewer for Macs

For all you PC users that are switching to Mac, if you used OneNote religiously like I did on the PC for importing PDFs and typing notes directly on the slides then you should check out Growly Notes. Its the closest thing to OneNote on the Mac.

I use microsoft one note. If I want to look back to lectures from the previous semester or even earlier in the same semester I can just click on the lecture and it opens. I dont have to wait for power points or pdfs to open. If I want to search my notes for a key word I can do so (dont have to open and close a bunch of files looking for somethin). I also have a tablet so this allows me to write on it just like a piece of paper. It was more expensive but I LOVE IT! :thumbup:

My professors always added more than what was on the slide, so I printed and wrote notes. I can write faster than I can type being the primary reason. Plus it is more fluid than trying to navigate PP, or a tablet on a computer. I tried a few times but fell far behind.

OneNote on a PC: keeps me organized, I can type faster than I can write, and I can actually read what I typed which I can't always say for my writing, especially if Im going fast.

Plus, I can inconspicuously surf the web if I get bored :thumbup:

Does anyone use an iPad to take traditional handwritten-type notes?

I started using my iPad for notes in January, and I LOVE it. I save all the ppts as PDF's and use iAnnotate to mark 'em up/highlight stuff. Sync's flawlessly with my Dropbox acct so I can get my edited notes on my iPhone or Macbook pretty much whenever I want.

But to answer your question, yes, I use Penultimate to "Write" notes whenever ppt's are not provided. Works great with both finger or stylus.

Have you tried the UPAD app?

I am also wondering if it is any harder on your hand to write for long periods of time on the iPad vs traditional notebook and pencil. I feel like the screen is not big enough to comfortably rest your hand on while writing.

Boomersooner10,

Just noticed this post since the thread has sort of been revived in the last few days. In virtually any program you can print from on mac, you can convert to PDF. Just click "print" (File > Print) and in the bottom left corner where it says "PDF", click that and go to "save as PDF". Whatever attributes you have set for the printing, thats what the PDF will look like. Example: If you go to PowerPoint and click print, then change the print settings it to "6 per page", "4 per page", etc., then when you save as PDF, this is how your PDF will display. It's very convenient. Like DropShot said, some people just prefer printing and writing, but I'm quick enough using the annotate feature in Preview that I prefer to type notes that way. I forced myself to do this not only to save space, but because I still write like a 7 year old. :oops:

As for the classes where they had syllabuses ready for us, I would take handwritten notes on those. However, some classes will have digital OR hard copies of the syllabus, in which case I went for the digital versions. For Biochem and Phys in particular, a digital version of the syllabus was not often available.

A disadvantage to digital notes is you're limited on how much you can free-hand things, but with the boxes, circles and arrows available in preview, I haven't felt like I need to draw hardly anything I can't. Most of the time, all (or 98%) of the information being taught and tested over is on the ppts you're given anyway. Some people get away without taking any notes and just study it all later. Whatever works.

Whatever you do, get an external hard drive. The last thing you want is to lose all your files and have no backup.

Hope that helps!

Just noticed this post since the thread has sort of been revived in the last few days. In virtually any program you can print from on mac, you can convert to PDF. Just click "print" (File > Print) and in the bottom left corner where it says "PDF", click that and go to "save as PDF". Whatever attributes you have set for the printing, thats what the PDF will look like. Example: If you go to PowerPoint and click print, then change the print settings it to "6 per page", "4 per page", etc., then when you save as PDF, this is how your PDF will display. It's very convenient. Like DropShot said, some people just prefer printing and writing, but I'm quick enough using the annotate feature in Preview that I prefer to type notes that way. I forced myself to do this not only to save space, but because I still write like a 7 year old. :oops:

As for the classes where they had syllabuses ready for us, I would take handwritten notes on those. However, some classes will have digital OR hard copies of the syllabus, in which case I went for the digital versions. For Biochem and Phys in particular, a digital version of the syllabus was not often available.

A disadvantage to digital notes is you're limited on how much you can free-hand things, but with the boxes, circles and arrows available in preview, I haven't felt like I need to draw hardly anything I can't. Most of the time, all (or 98%) of the information being taught and tested over is on the ppts you're given anyway. Some people get away without taking any notes and just study it all later. Whatever works.

Whatever you do, get an external hard drive. The last thing you want is to lose all your files and have no backup.

Hope that helps!

BoomerSooner10,

This question is school-specific (OU), but I would appreciate any other input. As far as notes go, how much are dental school textbooks actually used in basic science and clinical courses? What I mean is, how often did you find yourself having to take notes or do outlines on assigned reading to get the full understanding of the material? I'm not trying to find any shortcuts, I just want make sure I'll be using my study time as efficiently as possible. Thanks.

BoomerSooner10,

This question is school-specific (OU), but I would appreciate any other input. As far as notes go, how much are dental school textbooks actually used in basic science and clinical courses? What I mean is, how often did you find yourself having to take notes or do outlines on assigned reading to get the full understanding of the material? I'm not trying to find any shortcuts, I just want make sure I'll be using my study time as efficiently as possible. Thanks.

In all honesty, I have never once opened a text book at all. Many classes have 'assigned readings' that are either covered in class or so insignificant towards the grade that I don't bother. This goes for both dental classes AND science classes. The exception would be anatomy where I used Netter's Atlas for images, but not for explanations of anything. I bought all the books last semester just in case because the Air Force pays for them, but I never even used them and don't anticipate buying books again.