How does GoodRx make money?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Slippers, Apr 14, 2018.

1. VA Hopeful Dr

VA Hopeful Dr Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't care if goodrx dictates your cash price or not. But on what planet is a 2 order of magnitude markup OK?

I've done cash only, completely transparent pricing medicine. It was great. I would be happy to go back to that if needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Because it's the best deal in town? You don't care about GoodRx dictating my cash price well I don't care about honoring your card. I'm not going to sell my products at a loss because you think my margins are too high.

BidingMyTime likes this.
  3. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    Who is saying you need to sell at a loss?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. honurasp

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Chiming in a month later here, but here is a pretty thorough article that was posted today in Bloomberg about PBM spreads and how drug pricing works in retail pharmacies billing insurances:

bloomberg()com/graphics/2018-drug-spread-pricing/

A lot of blame is placed on retail pharmacies charging "exorbitant" cash prices for medications and creating "huge markups" on cheap drugs, but barely any of that money goes to the pharmacy for a profit. It's all clawed back by the PBMs and insurance companies. My favorite part of this article are the PBM lobbyists claiming that it's the pharmacist's "that are greedy for more money" for demanding transparency in PBM contracts. Lol

5. AlPacino

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Bingo. Read the fineprint when you check that user agreement on the GoodRx website/app. When you print or show that coupon you give them full access to your personal data; name, address, dob, phone number, email, etc. There is nothing in place to say that they aren't selling your information to spammers and advertisers. There is a reason alot of retail pharmacies are no longer accepting it.

catalyzt likes this.
  6. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacies--both in hospital and retail have to mark up their prices because they can't have different prices for cash and insurance customers (per the insurance contracts.) The insurance contracts will only pay a fraction of the "cash" cost, so the cash cost has to be marked up in orders of magnitude, in order for the insurance's fraction of the payment to cover their costs. The system sucks, but this is the way it's done, and if you worked for any kind of health system, the medical billing for your charges is being done the same way. Solely because you deal with cash only, you can afford to offer a transparent, lower cost. Hospitals & pharmacies that take insurance don't have that option, because they would go out of business if they did.

catalyzt likes this.
  7. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    Wrong (and I do work for a large health system). You can have cash prices that are 80% of Medicare allowable with no worries that CMS is going to come after you. Otherwise how would places like free standing imaging centers be able to offer major cash discounts?

Besides, even if what you say is true for pharmacy (since insurance does work differently for y'all than it does for my end of the world) why are there pharmacists in this very thread that boast of being able to offer prices better than GoodRx without any coupons or anything?

TikiTorches likes this.
  8. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I can answer this:

I am absolutely breaking the rules because I think it's the ethically correct thing to do.

They could absolutely penalize us if they found out

9. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    I wonder how we get away with it then.

10. TikiTorches

Physician Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just like blame is put on doctors for healthcare costs

11. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    Is that really the reason retail pharmacies dont accept it?

12. AlPacino

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Cant speak for what other retail locations do but thats one of them. Also retail pharmacies that still accept GoodRx are losing revenue on every single medication dispensed with one of those coupons. Its a money-losing strategy.

13. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    The money is made up in other ways. Grocery purchases, expensive walgreens items, etc

14. mgarph

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some aren't but some are. I think some offices just add it to save cash patients money and some are affiliates getting commission on each claim.

15. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    I make no money from goodrx. Its mainly either for cash pay patients or patients with terrible insurance.

TikiTorches likes this.
  16. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What the original reference to was offices that auto-generate it in the "Additional Notes" field

17. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    That's an option?

18. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah. Dunno if they actually get paid for it. It's gotta be peanuts

19. SCRph2014

Pharmacist
    We were specifically instructed by our pharmacy operations to throw them away in front of the rep dropping them off, but to keep the candy and pens :laugh:

projektreverb and Rouelle like this.
  20. SCRph2014

Pharmacist
    Unfortunately, the amount of money spent on goods outside of the pharmacy do not help to balance the pharmacy sales numbers. In my work, it's calculated as a separate department, which includes labor, rent, supplies, etc. Insurance reimbursement is the #1 way to maintaining a profitable pharmacy

21. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't believe for a second that physicians who send discount card codes do not know about it. That is such a crock.

22. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    About what? Discount cards are not covered in med school, residency, cme, or jobs.

VA Hopeful Dr likes this.
  23. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    Seriously? Are you one of those people who think we also get paid for every prescription we write?

TikiTorches and projektreverb like this.
  24. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What I'm saying is very clear. Two facts and you can only be one. You're either getting paid by a discount card company to put those codes into your electronic prescriptions or you're ignorant to what your eprescribe software is including in the prescriptions you transmit to pharmacies. Which is it?

25. Modest_anteater

Modest_anteater Is today your last day on Earth?

"Good RX essentially publishes the "Cash Price" of the pharmacy." Except often times it's inaccurate because different pharmacies paid much different prices for the drugs depending on when and where the drugs were bought whole sale.

26. Modest_anteater

Modest_anteater Is today your last day on Earth?

seems like a good way to make money. say you get 1,000 patients on it that fill twice a month. that's 2,000 USD a month

27. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I accidentally read some of Tikitorche's posts again and got a migraine

BenJammin likes this.
  28. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    I do not get any money from any prescriptions I write. I have blocked all my prescription info so it doesnt go to the drug reps. I give the goodrx card so meds are affordable. Some of my patients dont have insurance so a med like Abilify is relatively inexpensive on goodrx. You are making alot of untrue assumptions.
    I write my prescriptions by hand and give it to the patient. I dont know of any docs that get kickbacks from meds other than oncology docs.

29. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    If I knew how to automatically include the discount card codes in my prescriptions I would, and I'm not being paid anything by any discount card company.

I could put them in manually but I'm too lazy for that.

30. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You what?

31. SCRph2014

Pharmacist
    There shouldn't be any doctors receiving any kickbacks from medications, per the law.

32. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    catalyzt likes this.
  33. TikiTorches

Attending Physician
    They get the prescription data from an AMA list. I opted out of this. So reps dont come, and thats fine

34. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm confused by this post.
    Are there any other employees in a hospital making a half million dollars per year?

Google "PBM" and "DUR"

35. VA Hopeful Dr

Attending Physician
    Strawman. Our actual income is a fairly small percentage of healthcare spending (7-ish% last time I looked). So even if you cut our pay in half, you're only saving a little over 3%...

TikiTorches and CetiAlphaFive like this.
  36. CetiAlphaFive

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Next you're gonna tell me I can't blame the president for the economy

owlegrad and VA Hopeful Dr like this.
  37. JamesL1585

JamesL1585 TheAntiSavior?
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The first idea I ever had for a startup, Iodine (who beat us to market), got purchased by GoodRx. I was sad.

38. mgarph

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Dude in my district (3 letter) got fired for this, luckily it was a tech...probably made as much from the commissions as he did from his salary