How does my application measure up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasguy71

Reaction score
Hi all. I am curious as to what residents/attendings think of my chances to go to a top 15 or 20 program in anesthesia. Here is a snapshot of my resume.

Top 1/2 of my class. School is middle of the road from the Midwest.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: TBD
Research: 1 project with 3 pubs, but not anesthesia related
Lots of volunteer, leadership, and work experience. In short, moderately more than most.
Gold Humanism Honor Society member

I know that's a brief overview. I guess I'm more interested in knowing if I have a shot at interviewing at some bigger name programs such as Duke, UPMC, Stanford, Vandy, etc. (the list goes on) with my somewhat middle of the road board scores. Sorry that I don't have a Step 2 score yet. I take it in a couple weeks.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So, can you interview at UPMC or Vandy with your stats and a Step 2 of 240? Probably. Will you match at one of those? Unlikely. If your entire rank list consists of top 15 programs I would advise to add another 15 programs. I never recommend 30 programs but in your situation I would recommend 35-40 and at least 5 interviews at midtier programs to go along with your "reach" residencies.

So, can you interview at UPMC or Vandy with your stats and a Step 2 of 240? Probably. Will you match at one of those? Unlikely. If your entire rank list consists of top 15 programs I would advise to add another 15 programs. I never recommend 30 programs but in your situation I would recommend 35-40 and at least 5 interviews at midtier programs to go along with your "reach" residencies.

Thanks for the insight. I plan on applying to about 25-30 and I most definitely will be applying to middle tier programs (at which I will be completely content should I match there). I'm more looking into the cost/benefit of applying to these bigger names. I'm aiming to applying as strategically and financially savvy as I can while still reaching as high as I can go. I appreciate the feedback.

You're a very average applicant. I doubt you'll interview at most and you probably won't match at any