How does my application measure up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gasguy71

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I am curious as to what residents/attendings think of my chances to go to a top 15 or 20 program in anesthesia. Here is a snapshot of my resume.

Top 1/2 of my class. School is middle of the road from the Midwest.
Step 1: 231
Step 2: TBD
Research: 1 project with 3 pubs, but not anesthesia related
Lots of volunteer, leadership, and work experience. In short, moderately more than most.
Gold Humanism Honor Society member

I know that's a brief overview. I guess I'm more interested in knowing if I have a shot at interviewing at some bigger name programs such as Duke, UPMC, Stanford, Vandy, etc. (the list goes on) with my somewhat middle of the road board scores. Sorry that I don't have a Step 2 score yet. I take it in a couple weeks.

Thanks for any help!
 
Last edited:
So, can you interview at UPMC or Vandy with your stats and a Step 2 of 240? Probably. Will you match at one of those? Unlikely. If your entire rank list consists of top 15 programs I would advise to add another 15 programs. I never recommend 30 programs but in your situation I would recommend 35-40 and at least 5 interviews at midtier programs to go along with your "reach" residencies.
 
So, can you interview at UPMC or Vandy with your stats and a Step 2 of 240? Probably. Will you match at one of those? Unlikely. If your entire rank list consists of top 15 programs I would advise to add another 15 programs. I never recommend 30 programs but in your situation I would recommend 35-40 and at least 5 interviews at midtier programs to go along with your "reach" residencies.

Thanks for the insight. I plan on applying to about 25-30 and I most definitely will be applying to middle tier programs (at which I will be completely content should I match there). I'm more looking into the cost/benefit of applying to these bigger names. I'm aiming to applying as strategically and financially savvy as I can while still reaching as high as I can go. I appreciate the feedback.