How does this list of schools look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollivander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
March 2016 EDIT

My current overall GPA is now a 3.42 and my science GPA is a 3.22. I have yet to take the DAT and plan on taking it sometime in June. I am an Alabama state resident. I wanted to get some feedback on the list as it currently stands. Any criticism, opinions, or advice is greatly appreciated! Are there any schools I should cut from this list? I also currently have over 1,000+ hours of volunteering in addition to 121 hours of shadowing. Thanks and I appreciate anyone who responds!

Also a note I should add is that I am planning on taking one more undergrad science course in the summer which is biochemistry. I also will be enrolled in a SMP during the upcoming academic year (Fall 2016 - Spring 2017). I have a large number of withdrawals (11) over a six year span. Most are in science courses, however I dropped very early on (within the first week or two most of the time) and followed up the withdrawals with A's. I am not a science major. I am a finance major, but will graduate with 170-180 total credits with 50-60 of those credits in the sciences. Again I know this isn't common, but I'm also doing a SMP in bio-medical sciences to compensate for not majoring in it as well as seeking to strengthen my academic resume. I also hope to show committees that I can handle the rigor of a curriculum of science courses similar to those I would take in the first year of dental school and do well in them.

Here is my list. I plan on applying to 20+ to strengthen my chances.

1. UAB (Birmingham, AL)
2. Louisville (Louisville, KY)
3. Kentucky (Lexington, KY)
4. Iowa (Iowa City, IA)
5. Creighton (Omaha, NE)
6. Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, OK)
7. Tennessee (Memphis, TN)
8. VCU (Richmond, VA)
9. Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
10. West Virginia (Morgantown, WV)
11. Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA)
12. Temple (Philadelphia, PA)
13. Indiana (Indianapolis, IN)
14. Marquette (Milwaukee, WI)
15. Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
16. Maryland (Baltimore, MD)
17. UNLV (Las Vegas, NV)
18. MOSDOH (Kirksville, MO)
19. ASDOH (Mesa, AZ)
20. Western (Pomona, CA)
21. Midwestern Arizona (Glendale, AZ)
22. Midwestern Illinois (Downers Grove, IL)
23. Nova Southeastern (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
24. Roseman (Salt Lake City, UT)
25. Case Western (Cleveland, OH)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would toss Florida, they're tough on OOSers. I would add Marquette and Pitt since they are great schools and OOS friendly. Good luck!

It's going to be hard discerning your chances without a DAT score. Some schools you listed like Florida are OOS unfriendly though! Definitely check out which of those are OOS unfriendly, and your GPA is a bit low which is why it's important to have a solid DAT. Good luck on that by the way!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going for a week this summer to Honduras on a mission trip where I would be assisting a dentist, so that would add another 150+ hours. Would I make the cut then?
I don't know what the minimum is but the stats are very scary... at least 450+

I don't know what the minimum is but the stats are very scary... at least 450+
Yeah...I called them to ask about that when I was applying and they told me to not bother unless I had around 500 hours

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also pretty sure South Carolina is very IS friendly.

Sidenote: If you were a REAL Auburn fan you wouldn't have considered any of these SEC schools anyway :p

If you want to play it safe, throw in some private schools like MWU-AZ, MWU-IL, Case, Roseman...

ever heard of houston,san antonio and bayor?(Texas schools)

Check out this thread. Few years old but I don't think much has changed in terms of OOS/IS percentages for most schools.

Would you suggest applying to LSU based on that thread? It's relatively close to where I live, and I'm already considering Tulane's masters program that's also in New Orleans.
Wait till the ADEA book for this year comes out, it will have details on what states the school accepts from. Might help a LOT with your decision, based on older threads from doc toothache he says it should be out in Feb, so hopefully in a few weeks we can get out hands on a copy.

Wait till the ADEA book for this year comes out, it will have details on what states the school accepts from. Might help a LOT with your decision, based on older threads from doc toothache he says it should be out in Feb, so hopefully in a few weeks we can get out hands on a copy.
Get yah $10 ready

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I did not know it came out in February. That's great news. Hopefully a couple of schools around the Southeast will be more OOS friendly (LSU and Tennessee in particular).

Can I come down there too? It's cold in Buffalo... :confused:

I feel awful saying that it's going to be 27 °F here tomorrow and school is already delayed :)

It was -30°F with wind chill last week and I got a bloody nose walking to class. Luckily the blood was almost frozen to my upper lip so it didn't stain my clothes...

It was -30°F with wind chill last week and I got a bloody nose walking to class. Luckily the blood was almost frozen to my upper lip so it didn't stain my clothes...
jTYvp7h.gif

My budget for applying (not including traveling to interviews) is $4,000. I don't want to spend more than that. This includes sending my DAT score AFTER I find out what I made. But I figured since my sGPA was on the low side, I should apply broadly to 20 schools. Do you disagree? I'm not saying I will take every interview I get, but I want to get multiple interviews at the same time. I'm just afraid if I only apply to 7 or 8 schools I may not get as many interviews as a want and may not get accepted at all. I just want in.

So you'd advise cutting Nova and Penn?

Save yourself the money and send your DAT to every school in the US and Canada. That's what I did, because when you're signing up for it you can send it to whoever you want for free.

Nova has a GPA requirement of 3.25 for both science and overall GPA. You might be cutting close to their requirement..
Also, Penn might be kinda hard with your GPA even if you haven't taken the DAT yet. Plus, they have a very annoying supplemental and is freakin expensive.

Also, I think 20 schools is way too much, unless you're rich.
It cost me 4000+ dollars this cycle interviewing at 7 schools.. And I didn't even take flights for all of those interviews..
20 schools may be too much for someone with great stats, but someone with a 3.3ish needs to maximize their odds by applying to a lot of schools.

Edit: That's not meant to be an insult to you OP, but 3.3 is a bit below average so I think applying to more schools will help you only have to go through this process once.

20 schools may be too much for someone with great stats, but someone with a 3.3ish needs to maximize their odds by applying to a lot of schools.

Edit: That's not meant to be an insult to you OP, but 3.3 is a bit below average so I think applying to more schools will help you only have to go through this process once.

I applied to 15 schools with a 3.3 oGPA/3.31 sGPA... you callin' me stupid?

Reactions: 1 users
Well the budget of $4,000 doesn't include travel expenses for interviews, just applying since interviews will be later in the year. I've just got everything running together (DAT cost, application costs, mission trip which is $1600, and then tuition for the fall semester) and can't afford anymore than $4,000 for JUST applying.
You won't need $4,000 for apps, even for 20 schools. I applied to 2o and I think I paid a little over $3,000 including the secondary costs.

I sent my DAT to every school even though I only applied to one school. I mean why not? It is free...

I sent my DAT to every school even though I only applied to one school. I mean why not? It is free...
You ONLY applied to UF and got in? Gutsy! And congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also pretty sure South Carolina is very IS friendly.

Sidenote: If you were a REAL Auburn fan you wouldn't have considered any of these SEC schools anyway :p

Okay so I just did some deeper research into it and it seems as though while South Carolina is very in-state friendly, the OOS acceptances they handed out were predominantly in the Southeast including one from Alabama (of which I am a resident). Out of the 19 OOS students they accepted, one was from Alabama, two were from Georgia, one was from Florida, one was from Louisiana, and one was from Virginia. Do you think that since they seem to show OOS preference to Southeastern applicants I should apply?

Okay so I just did some deeper research into it and it seems as though while South Carolina is very in-state friendly, the OOS acceptances they handed out were predominantly in the Southeast including one from Alabama (of which I am a resident). Out of the 19 OOS students they accepted, one was from Alabama, two were from Georgia, one was from Florida, one was from Louisiana, and one was from Virginia. Do you think that since they seem to show OOS preference to Southeastern applicants I should apply?

Most of the time for state schools, OOS acceptances are given to people with above average stats, a tie in with the school/state (Going to undergrad in that state or worked in the state), or something really great on their EC that is a strong part of the school's mission statement (Strong community service in underserved areas for a school that wants to bring more dentist to underserved areas.). If you feel competitive by all means apply!

Update: I dropped NYU. I can't afford to live in NYC and my parents are really against living in NYC or California. I added both ASDOH and Iowa. I just did a tally of my volunteering hours and realized I'm closer to the 500 mark than I first realized. I also noticed an Alabama state resident got accepted there year before last. I'm still looking for any advice on what schools I should probably remove from my list. I'm aiming to cut this list of 21 down to 15. I'm also skeptical about Kentucky, Creighton, and Temple as the ADEA Guide says they don't accept CC credits for prereqs. I realize you guys have already given me a lot of advice, but anymore in order to cut this list down by 6 more schools would be absolutely great and I would overly appreciate it!

Hey, I'm also applying this upcoming cycle, and I recently dropped UK from my list.

It's pretty in-state friendly/ OOS unfriendly and everyone I know who has applied there out of state has been rejected. It isn't to say that they weren't competitive (accepted to schools like UNC, ECU, Maryland) either.

Personally unless it is a dream school or a dentist you shadowed went there or you have a strong connection, then I wouldn't apply there.

Out of curiosity why Iowa?

I don't personally know a lot about Buffalo besides it having a steep cost.

That is a good point with Iowa, and I might have to add them since I live in the Midwest! Their incoming class statistics are pretty high compared to other dental schools, but I have heard only great things about the program.

Also, I think the decision to get a masters or not depends a lot on this cycle for us both. For instance, if someone was to have less than or average stats, apply to 15+ schools and NOT get an interview anywhere, then I would consider post-bacc or a masters. If multiple interviews were given with no acceptances then it might just be the applicant's interview skills.

In either situation, I would first consult the dental schools I am interested in and ask them what they thought were weak points in my application. Either way, I am thinking that I would take a few post-bacc science courses to raise my GPA, maybe raise my DAT score depending on what I get and volunteer, shadow or work in some way related to dentistry.

i wouldn't consider marquette oos friendly. Those numbers are deceiving because most of the people they interview and accept from out of state are from that part of the country and surrounding states. they only want students who they know will stay in the area after school. they were my number one choice and I didn't even get an interview but every other school I applied to I got an interview from. if your gonna apply to lecom, you should apply to UNE, they are very oos friendly and an amazing school even though they are brand new

i wouldn't consider marquette oos friendly. Those numbers are deceiving because most of the people they interview and accept from out of state are from that part of the country and surrounding states. they only want students who they know will stay in the area after school. they were my number one choice and I didn't even get an interview but every other school I applied to I got an interview from. if your gonna apply to lecom, you should apply to UNE, they are very oos friendly and an amazing school even though they are brand new
I don't know about the Marquette info, I'm from Florida and I interviewed and was accepted.

On my interview day, there were two others from Florida and others from New York, Indiana, North Carolina, California, and I think another northeastern state.

I don't know about the Marquette info, I'm from Florida and I interviewed and was accepted.

On my interview day, there were two others from Florida and others from New York, Indiana, North Carolina, California, and I think another northeastern state.
did you have alot of volunteering or some kind of missions trip experience? I got interviews at michigan and minnesota but not there. maybe they wanted people from more urban areas because I had a very rural focused personal statement or maybe its just luck of the draw for out of state interviews

I would most certainly have UNE on my list if I had/was able to take microbiology before graduation. Unfortunately I won't have the microbiology prereq unless I do a masters at Iowa State, and that'll be if I'm denied to all the dental schools I apply to during the first cycle. I appreciate the recommendation though! I'll also have to look more closely at Marquette, as it is in my top 10. Thanks for the tip!
You can take courses as non-degree seeking at universities. FYI University of Florida has a online microbiology class 3 credits.

Bump. Updated the initial post. I am seeking any advice you guys can offer.

Last edited:
Bump. Updated the initial post. I am seeking any advice you guys can offer.
How thoroughly have you looked into each of those schools? Some of them have more specific missions and/or extremely high price tags. They're also scattered around the US. If you're from Alabama, would you really move to Minnesota or Illinois? Just make sure you don't waste time/money/energy applying to places you ultimately would not want to go to in the end. If you only end up with 1 acceptance to a school that puts you $500k in debt, do you think it'd be best to go? It'd be better (long run) to reapply with 0 acceptances than to attend a school with massive debt or to reapply after declining an acceptance that you really don't want at all. If you're cool with everything about all of them, though, then I'd say your list is fine.

How thoroughly have you looked into each of those schools? Some of them have more specific missions and/or extremely high price tags. They're also scattered around the US. If you're from Alabama, would you really move to Minnesota or Illinois? Just make sure you don't waste time/money/energy applying to places you ultimately would not want to go to in the end. If you only end up with 1 acceptance to a school that puts you $500k in debt, do you think it'd be best to go? It'd be better (long run) to reapply with 0 acceptances than to attend a school with massive debt or to reapply after declining an acceptance that you really don't want at all. If you're cool with everything about all of them, though, then I'd say your list is fine.
First of all thanks for the response! I've put probably 50 or more total hours into compiling this specific list over the last 2 years based on the 2014 and 2015 ADEA Guides as well as Doc Toothache's files. This list was ranked based on cost and location (distance from Alabama). Some rank higher than others based on location, and some rank higher than others based on cost. Ideally I wouldn't want to live in either of those states (Minnesota and Illinois), however if those are the only offers I have I would absolutely accept them. However, I'll be doing my SMP in Iowa so I might be close to places like Illinois when matriculation comes around.

I'm just afraid that 11 withdrawls coupled with a sGPA that's on the lower end of the spectrum will rule me out with some of these schools regardless of my DAT score or SMP. That's why I'm applying to so many. After taking what you said into consideration I should probably once again remove NYU from my list. The cost of tuition combined with the cost of living would probably be too steep. Do any of these other schools stand out to you as "not affordable" where I'd be better off waiting a year and reapplying rather than accepting an offer?

First of all thanks for the response! I've put probably 50 or more total hours into compiling this specific list over the last 2 years based on the 2014 and 2015 ADEA Guides as well as Doc Toothache's files. This list was ranked based on cost and location (distance from Alabama). Some rank higher than others based on location, and some rank higher than others based on cost. Ideally I wouldn't want to live in either of those states (Minnesota and Illinois), however if those are the only offers I have I would absolutely accept them. However, I'll be doing my SMP in Iowa so I might be close to places like Illinois when matriculation comes around.

I'm just afraid that 11 withdrawls coupled with a sGPA that's on the lower end of the spectrum will rule me out with some of these schools regardless of my DAT score or SMP. That's why I'm applying to so many. After taking what you said into consideration I should probably once again remove NYU from my list. The cost of tuition combined with the cost of living would probably be too steep. Do any of these other schools stand out to you as "not affordable" where I'd be better off waiting a year and reapplying rather than accepting an offer?
I understand wanting to apply broadly, I'm just saying don't let desperation now interfere with what's best for you in the long run, but you already know that so that's good :)
I haven't looked into a lot of those schools, but I'd say anything that has a total cost of attendance estimated at over $400,000 should be a no-go. Before you write off some of the state schools though, look into the ones that might give you in-state tuition after 1 or 2 year (I think Maryland does, but I'm not sure). Tuition will only increase in the next few years. That said, if you plan on doing HPSP, apply wherever, as they'll cover expenses for you.

I understand wanting to apply broadly, I'm just saying don't let desperation now interfere with what's best for you in the long run, but you already know that so that's good :)
I haven't looked into a lot of those schools, but I'd say anything that has a total cost of attendance estimated at over $400,000 should be a no-go. Before you write off some of the state schools though, look into the ones that might give you in-state tuition after 1 or 2 year (I think Maryland does, but I'm not sure). Tuition will only increase in the next few years. That said, if you plan on doing HPSP, apply wherever, as they'll cover expenses for you.
I've written off the state schools that tend to be unfavorable for OOS students, as well as those that give strong preference to regional students. Let me ask you something though. Would you say it would be wiser to keep schools like Case Western and Roseman as fallbacks, or to remove them and sit out another year to take another shot at my top ten choices?

I've written off the state schools that tend to be unfavorable for OOS students, as well as those that give strong preference to regional students. Let me ask you something though. Would you say it would be wiser to keep schools like Case Western and Roseman as fallbacks, or to remove them and sit out another year to take another shot at my top ten choices?
Oh gosh. I really don't know and I don' want to give you bad advice. Hopefully someone else will be able to respond better

It honestly depends on what you get on your DAT for some of those schools. UNLV, for example, uses a formula dependent on DAT and GPA to determine if you have a shot for acceptance before sending out interviews.

It honestly depends on what you get on your DAT for some of those schools. UNLV, for example, uses a formula dependent on DAT and GPA to determine if you have a shot for acceptance before sending out interviews.

What formula is this?

What formula is this?

(sgpa+cgpa)/8 * (RC)/30 * (OC+QR+BIO)/90*75 + (int 1 score+int 2 score)/10 *25
I think they interview if there is a possibility of getting above a 50

Oh man this is fantastic! Do any other schools have formulas like this?

It's highly likely, but they do not release their formulas. UDM hinted at one when I called them earlier this year.

I have seen people in my interview with low GPA and DAT, as long as you have a strong overall application you should still give this school a shot.
the stats aren't everything.

I have seen people in my interview with low GPA and DAT, as long as you have a strong overall application you should still give this school a shot.
the stats aren't everything.

you dont need high stats to score a 25 pre interview