How does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to several DO schools, for two reasons: 1)I feel drawn towards the DO philosophy, and 2)statistically and as a non-trad I have a better chance at DO schools.

Because my in-state MD school favors in-state applicants I will also be applying there. My question is, when my in-state school sees that they are the only MD school I apply for, how will that look to them? And how will I answer as to why only one school, without drawing attention to my lack of confidence in my stats and the fact that I believe in the DO philosophy over MD?

Pleeeeaaaassse don't turn this into an MD vs. DO thread!!! I just want some help answering the "why one school" question b/c I know they will ask!

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools don't have access to the list of other schools you apply to, unless they accept you, and it's after March ~15th (not sure of exact date) or so. It's very rare that you'd be asked, maybe by an interviewer. Non-trads often have compelling reasons why they need to stay in their home state, like spousal job, parental health issues, own a house, kid's schools, etc. I'm sure you can come up with something.

Last edited:
ya, I could make the case for needing to stay in state! As far as them being able to see the list, I just assumed that the info they get looks pretty similar to what we see when we click to print the application, in that at the bottom of the app, it lists the selected schools. That's even better if it doesn't, but I am still planning on being prepared for that question. Thanks for your help!