How does transportation work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ioannes Paulus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll.
So I've been living in Manhattan for the past year. I don't have a car. No one does here. Public transit is awesome.
Anyway, I will be attending medical school in a suburban/ruralish city where public transit isn't as accessible and you pretty much need a car to get to campus and grocery shop.

My question for you all is, if you were in a similar situation, how did you get a car and work things out? Do you rent a car for the first month until you buy one? Do you taxi everywhere for a few days and make a rushed purchase from craigslist after a few days? Do you rent a car for the entire year? How did you work it out?

My current plan is to taxi to my new apartment from the airport. Survive a day or so on peanut butter that I smuggle through the TSA. Find a cheap car on craigslist (~3,000). But it in a day or so. Get it registered. Done. Is this a good idea? What did you guys do that didn't have a car?

Members don't see this ad.

Live with a roommate who is in your class and commute to class/grocery store with them. That will provide you enough buffer for pretty much the entire first 2 years

My question for you all is, if you were in a similar situation, how did you get a car and work things out? Do you rent a car for the first month until you buy one? Do you taxi everywhere for a few days and make a rushed purchase from craigslist after a few days? Do you rent a car for the entire year? How did you work it out?

I had to buy a car during med school (my old one died abruptly).

Renting a car for >week would be unrealistic IMO.

Buying a car on craigslist is risky. Even if you spent ~$3,000 on it, you may have to sink more money into it for repairs and run the risk of being stranded and having it towed. If you feel that this is your only option, with permission of the owner, you could pay a mechanic to inspect the car before purchasing it (this would be worth the investment).

If you purchase a new or used car from a dealer, then you need to google the pros/cons of leasing vs. financing, since that could be a whole thread by itself. The biggest hurdle you will face here is your credit history and the ability to provide proof of income (since many med students live off loans). You will more than likely have to get a co-signer, because without one you face inability to finance or a hefty APR.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Live with a roommate who is in your class and commute to class/grocery store with them. That will provide you enough buffer for pretty much the entire first 2 years

I don't like mooching off people. I also don't think it's a very practical idea, at least at my school where attendance is optional.

If you purchase a new or used car from a dealer, then you need to google the pros/cons of leasing vs. financing, since that could be a whole thread by itself. The biggest hurdle you will face here is your credit history and the ability to provide proof of income (since many med students live off loans). You will more than likely have to get a co-signer, because without one you face inability to finance or a hefty APR.

This is exactly why I just want to buy one off craigslist really quickly once I move. I just don't know how the timeline will look like as I only have 5 days between move-in day and the start of classes.

I don't like mooching off people. I also don't think it's a very practical idea, at least at my school where attendance is optional.

This is exactly why I just want to buy one off craigslist really quickly once I move. I just don't know how the timeline will look like as I only have 5 days between move-in day and the start of classes.

You can get a decent used car for 3000 without having to resort to craigslist and you can do it quickly. Craigslist is risky. Whatever you do, if the car has been used by someone else, regardless of whether you're buying it from a friend or a dealership, get a mechanic to check it out first. Don't blindly trust a carfax report. This is pretty easy. I was looking at a newer used vehicle with a clean car fax report, car about a year old and took it to the mechanic and he was able to show me that the car had in fact been in a pretty significant accident as evidenced by the visible weld spots when you looked under the hood as well as well as some other areas of concern. So I chose to skip that vehicle and go with a different one.

I think I didn't phrase my original post correctly.
Basically, for those of you medical students that didn't drive a car down from home to medical school, how did you end up getting a car when you moved to medical school?

Biking and walking are cheap, exercise, awesome stress relievers, and reasonable for running errands/shopping if you plan properly. If you're set on getting a car check Consumer Reports for ratings of makes and models and go through a reputable dealer - you might have to pay more than 3k, but it will save you in the long run by avoiding repairs.

Last edited:
I think I didn't phrase my original post correctly.
Basically, for those of you medical students that didn't drive a car down from home to medical school, how did you end up getting a car when you moved to medical school?

Assuming you start in the fall, you have two months to find a car. You can search in your area and buy days before moving. Or you can search for a car in your future Med school town and purchase it upon arrival. No need to make as rushed purchase.

Check out carmax or local dealers. If you decide to buy a car after moving then you have to do your homework online ahead of time and then maybe rent for a few days

Reactions: 1 user
Buying a car on craigslist is risky. Even if you spent ~$3,000 on it, you may have to sink more money into it for repairs and run the risk of being stranded and having it towed. If you feel that this is your only option, with permission of the owner, you could pay a mechanic to inspect the car before purchasing it (this would be worth the investment).

Check out carmax or local dealers. If you decide to buy a car after moving then you have to do your homework online ahead of time and then maybe rent for a few days
I mostly disagree with the above. Yes, buying a Craigslist car has some inherent risk, but after having bought quite a few over the years I strongly feel that the benefits far outweigh the risks. The markup at dealers is ungodly, especially at Pricemax. You can buy and throw away several "good" older Honda and Toyotas on Craigslist for less than the price of the cheapest junk on a dealer's lot. Also, if you select the right older car, its value won't really depreciate over a few years and you can sell it for what you bought it for minus sales tax when you're done with it. Find an old Civic/Corolla/Accord/etc, drive it to a mechanic to inspect if you aren't personally inclined towards the wrench and save yourself some beer money. I know this isn't your original question, but I wanted to voice some reason.

Sidebar: leasing is NEVER a financially wise option.

Last edited:
Start researching what kind of car you'd like to buy now. I'd suggest a Honda or Toyota, they're reliable and easy to work on. After deciding how much you're willing to spend, settle on what year, make, and model will fit your price point. Then go on Craigslist looking for a deal. I'm a big fan of buying cars from other owners. When you buy from a dealer you are overpaying, be 100% certain of that. I'm going to assume you don't know much about vehicles, so it would be wise to take it by a mechanic for a lookover before purchasing.

Once you've bought a car, take good care of it. Change the oil every 3,500-5,000 miles (it would be wise to learn how to do this yourself--tons of videos on youtube, it's VERY easy to do, and you'll save $$$). Keep up with the recommended maintenance, especially tire rotation and transmission fluid changes. Don't let your brakes go bad or you'll have to pay a mechanic $400+ to put on new rotors. If you have any questions, post or PM.

know this isn't your original question, but I wanted to voice some reason.

Differing opinions do not imply lack of reasoning. Lastly, I am also assuming that most of us (me included) are not good with a wrench and could easily be scammed if buying a used car off craigslist.

You have plenty of options, but I would highlight a few key points:

1) You probably don't want to buy a car right before you move to a new state. Many states have registration/titling laws that require you to pay sales tax on cars recently purchased from out of state, meaning that you could be taxed x2. You can find out the rules for your new state on their DMV website. It sounds like you're planning to buy in the new state anyway, but I just wanted to throw that info out there.

2) Some states require private sellers to have cars inspected before they can sell them (for example, Maryland does this). If you are in one of those states, Craigslist sales are less risky. If not, I agree with everyone else that you should have a mechanic inspect the car before you buy it.

3) Sometimes high end dealers will inherit cars from other dealerships and sell them off for very cheap. That is how I found my current car (a 15 year old Dodge that had ended up at a Mercedes dealership when another dealership closed). I bought that car for about $2000 upfront and have had zero trouble with it over the past 2 years (including a cross-country drive). As a bonus, dealerships usually do full inspections before they sell and can save you some hassle.

4) While you are looking for a car, I would suggest signing up for Zipcar or Car2Go so that you can rent cars for 1-2 hours at a time and go to see different sellers/dealers. Much cheaper than taking cabs everywhere or renting a car for weeks at a time. There may also be public transit in your new city - if so, you can probably buy a monthly pass and save yourself some money until you find something of your own.

5) Don't buy something that is obviously crap just because you are crunched for time. It won't be worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
no. just lease a reliable affordable car like a Corolla or a Civic. It's easy. Buying off of craigslist is a stupid stupid move.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the convention for having a car taken to a mechanic prior to finalizing the purchase from a private seller? Like, you first meet the guy and inspect and test drive the car yourself, decide you like it and want to buy it assuming everything checks out. So then what happens? Do you typically set up another appointment with the guy to have him bring the car to the mechanic of your choice, or do you give him half the cash and take the car yourself with the other half and signing the title over to occur after the inspection or...

Differing opinions do not imply lack of reasoning.
My apologies. I did not mean to imply a lack of reasoning, just that I was adding more.
no. just lease a reliable affordable car like a Corolla or a Civic. It's easy. Buying off of craigslist is a stupid stupid move.
Solid evidence here.
What's the convention for having a car taken to a mechanic prior to finalizing the purchase from a private seller? Like, you first meet the guy and inspect and test drive the car yourself, decide you like it and want to buy it assuming everything checks out. So then what happens? Do you typically set up another appointment with the guy to have him bring the car to the mechanic of your choice, or do you give him half the cash and take the car yourself with the other half and signing the title over to occur after the inspection or...
Don't exchange any money until you know you're ready to buy it. Like you said, after you've decided it's probably the vehicle you're going to buy, you either bring a mechanic friend (if you have one) or you have the seller meet you at a trusted mechanic's shop. If they don't want to meet you, ask if you can test drive it over there yourself. Call around to local shops and ask if they offer this service ahead of time. It will probably be free or cost a nominal fee.

Dang it. it's crazy how many auxiliary costs there are to being a medical student that I never thought about. I wish stuff like this was more transparent

I mostly disagree with the above. Yes, buying a Craigslist car has some inherent risk, but after having bought dozens over the years I strongly feel that the benefits far outweigh the risks. The markup at dealers is ungodly, especially at Pricemax. You can buy and throw away several "good" older Honda and Toyotas on Craigslist for less than the price of the cheapest junk on a dealer's lot. Also, if you select the right older car, its value won't really depreciate over a few years and you can sell it for what you bought it for minus sales tax when you're done with it. Find an old Civic/Corolla/Accord/etc, drive it to a mechanic to inspect if you aren't personally inclined towards the wrench and save yourself some beer money. I know this isn't your original question, but I wanted to voice some reason.

If you're experienced with buying cars off Craigslist then that's fine. Your OP makes it seem like you're about to move to a new city that requires you to buy a car for the first time ever. The main point I was making is do your homework NOW so that the 5 days you have between moving and starting school are spent finalizing which care to buy, not begging to search for one. In that case, you can rent for a week until you purchase.

Finally: when I said dealer I didn't mean an official one-brand only dealer. There are many small reputable dealers locally that sell used cars for affordable price

Would not recommend this. 2-3k can get you a car that lasts until you're done with most residencies. Start searching now. Look for low miles and check it out with someone who knows cars.

175/month is 2100/year. Over a 3 year lease, 6300. You're really unlucky or a poor owner if you have to sink more than 3k into an old car.
If the used car lasts you the 7 years of med school+short residency, you're coming out ~8k on top with the used car assuming additional 500/year maintenance that you wouldn't need for a leased car.

If you're living on borrowed money you have a spending problem if you aren't pinching pennies on a car.

If you're living on borrowed money you have a spending problem if you aren't pinching pennies on a car.
Yes, this is one of the reasons I want to buy one soon rather than lease. I'm also a very tight spender. If I find a car around $3-3.5k, which I think is doable, I can pay for it out of pocket. My commute is 4 miles a day from apartment to med school. I think a p.o.s. honda can do 4 miles a day. Also, insurance is significantly cheaper if you own a car which I am also taking into account.

I mostly disagree with the above. Yes, buying a Craigslist car has some inherent risk, but after having bought dozens over the years I strongly feel that the benefits far outweigh the risks. The markup at dealers is ungodly, especially at Pricemax. You can buy and throw away several "good" older Honda and Toyotas on Craigslist for less than the price of the cheapest junk on a dealer's lot. Also, if you select the right older car, its value won't really depreciate over a few years and you can sell it for what you bought it for minus sales tax when you're done with it. Find an old Civic/Corolla/Accord/etc, drive it to a mechanic to inspect if you aren't personally inclined towards the wrench and save yourself some beer money. I know this isn't your original question, but I wanted to voice some reason.

Eh, disagree with the carmax part. I got my car from one for 4k less than the blue book value (saved around 25%). Plus from the 2 carmax dealers I've been to, I felt very little pressure to buy and there was a huge variety of cars to look at. So if you're still trying to explore what you want and what feels right when you're driving, Carmax is at least a decent place to start.

Re Sidebar: Leasing is almost never a financially wise option. Just leasing a car isn't a good choice. Some places have lease-to-own contracts that give you the option to purchase the car when the lease runs out, and this might be a good option for some people. My SO is currently doing this and it's been a life-saver financially since she is planning on purchasing the car when the lease ends. Her deal is that she pays the monthly fee and when she goes to buy the car at the end of the lease, whatever she already paid will be subtracted from the original value of the car (when the lease was signed) and she'll owe the remainder that can be financed at a decent interest rate. Since we couldn't afford to drop a couple thousand on a car and it's a lot cheaper than the payments we would have made if we bought one it worked out. The other thing that made it worthwhile is that no interest is accruing on the car for the leasing years, so when she decides to buy the car when the contract runs out, she will have basically made 3 years worth of payments without having interest accrue.

I do not think this is very typical, and certainly isn't ideal, but just an example of one of the few times that leasing can be a decent option.

Don't exchange any money until you know you're ready to buy it. Like you said, after you've decided it's probably the vehicle you're going to buy, you either bring a mechanic friend (if you have one) or you have the seller meet you at a trusted mechanic's shop. If they don't want to meet you, ask if you can test drive it over there yourself. Call around to local shops and ask if they offer this service ahead of time. It will probably be free or cost a nominal fee.

This is true, but I will add that many private sellers will expect you to pay any fees associated with inspecting the car. A few will knock that cost off of what they are asking but because inspections aren't required in most states, you're kind of at their mercy when making these arrangements.

Other important things before you buy:

-Test drive on both city roads and highway. Make sure the car accelerates and switches well between gears. You should also parallel park the thing (if you know how) to make sure there are no strange alignment issues that you wouldn't pick up with normal driving. If there is clunking, shaking, or unexpected engine noise, don't buy the car. You won't be able to afford a new engine or transmission.

-Ask for service records to make sure the car has had routine maintenance (oil changes, belt replacements, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, this is one of the reasons I want to buy one soon rather than lease. I'm also a very tight spender. If I find a car around $3-3.5k, which I think is doable, I can pay for it out of pocket. My commute is 4 miles a day from apartment to med school. I think a p.o.s. honda can do 4 miles a day. Also, insurance is significantly cheaper if you own a car which I am also taking into account.

Yeah but what if it breaks down. Reliability is the most important thing to me. Does it really matter that you're saving a few thousand dollars if your car breaks down on your way to taking step 1?

Yeah but what if it breaks down. Reliability is the most important thing to me. Does it really matter that you're saving a few thousand dollars if your car breaks down on your way to taking step 1?
Why would a mechanic inspected car purchased for less money from a private individual be more likely to break down than a mechanic inspected car purchased for more money from a dealer?

Sometimes a car with some patina and good maintenance has all the kinks worked out. This obviously isn't universally applicable, but my friends with new leased cars take them into the dealer with some frequency to fix the latest recall (albeit for free). My current vehicle has 250,xxx miles on it and with 1 exception, every daily driver I've ever had has had 100K +. I did have an AC blow up on me in the middle of the summer 2,500 miles from my house once, but that was in the one newish car I owned (4 years old at the time) with about 50K on it.

Obviously, YMMV. I just think it's a weak argument to assume that you must throw more money at the beast of consumerism to fend off the specter of misfortune. New and old cars can both break down and lives are generally not ruined by it.

Easiest thing to do if you're really set on not buying from a dealer is to get in touch with a local mechanic and tell them you're gonna meet a car seller at their shop. Tell the same to any potential seller. Meet at the shop, and have the mechanic do an inspection ($45-60, the best you'll ever spend) to make sure the cars in good shape. While he does that (it'll take about 30 min), chat with the seller about the cars history, look at the carfax, etc.

Once the inspection is done, then take it for a long test drive. Do some local roads, get on the highway, etc. If the mechanic is willing, have him also take a short test drive in the car. If it all feels good after that, buy the car in cash at the mechanics shop. If there's anything that needs work, agree on a repair price with the mechanic before purchase.

Never ever let the car leave the shop, so the guy can't do anything sketchy like swap out good parts for crap ones after you get it looked at. Also only buy the car at the shop because going anywhere with a craigslist seller who knows you're carrying a few grand in cash can lead to badness.

Hope this helps, stay safe!

This is so unlikely lol. I have quite a few friends and family that have been driving $200-500 junkers from the 90s and even late 80s. With regular inspection and a careful eye on fluids there are hardly any surprise break downs. You tell when almost anything is beginning to fail. My $2000 salvage title car from the beginning of the millennium had the computer randomly go down a few years ago. That's been the only problem in 5 years. Most of the people with 20-30 year old junkers haven't had anything that bad happen. Cars aren't that complicated guys.

And if your car actually broke down on the way to step1 you get it towed and uber to the test. This is why you leave early for important things, no?

Dang it. it's crazy how many auxiliary costs there are to being a medical student that I never thought about. I wish stuff like this was more transparent
Why I'm staying in a city (car upkeep is included in the "personal expense" part of the COA)....But I dont have a license or car, which could make for some come residency time. Thought I do know many NYC students who were in the same boat and they just aimed for city residencies

This is so unlikely lol. I have quite a few friends and family that have been driving $200-500 junkers from the 90s and even late 80s. With regular inspection and a careful eye on fluids there are hardly any surprise break downs. You tell when almost anything is beginning to fail. My $2000 salvage title car from the beginning of the millennium had the computer randomly go down a few years ago. That's been the only problem in 5 years. Most of the people with 20-30 year old junkers haven't had anything that bad happen. Cars aren't that complicated guys.

And if your car actually broke down on the way to step1 you get it towed and uber to the test. This is why you leave early for important things, no?

That doesn't make it impossible. What do you think the chances are of being diagnosed with terminal cancer at the end of your residency? Pretty low and yet getting term life insurance and own occupation disability insurance is still very important. I trust a new car much more than I do a used one. When other people rely on you, you need to be able to rely on your car.

That doesn't make it impossible. What do you think the chances are of being diagnosed with terminal cancer at the end of your residency? Pretty low and yet getting term life insurance and own occupation disability insurance is still very important. I trust a new car much more than I do a used one. When other people rely on you, you need to be able to rely on your car.
Yeah When Breath Becomes Air was great.

You can rely on a well cared for used car as much as a new car. Machines break but a good owner can tell when it is going to break. You're probably better off taking good care of a used car than just taking it on faith that everything is fine with your new car.

Just be aware when you buy your Craig's list beater that one significant repair will put you in ~200/mo lease territory. I inherited a previously nice car that needed significant work, it was some bad luck. Then I bought a beater that was great and lasted for many years. I kept it a while as a second car after I got a really nice car. The 2-3k market was in bad shape 20 years ago, you will see that the 4-6k market is probably a safer bet if you can swing it and the car may actually last 4-7 years. There is also some risk to a beater re breakdowns that is far less with a lease. I'd lease my daughter a car before I ever considered buying her some beater. Maybe a 3-5 yo hand me down where I know the history.
Good luck with the hunt. Don't assume leasing is all horrible and evil, particularly if you are leasing a very affordable car. It's not the cheapest choice, but cost is just one factor in the equation. Everyone always makes that argument about leasing cars, that it's too expensive, etc and then you see them driving a new loaded Euro box that's depreciating faster than an F/A-18 on full afterburners.

--
Il Destriero

Would not recommend this. 2-3k can get you a car that lasts until you're done with most residencies. Start searching now. Look for low miles and check it out with someone who knows cars.

175/month is 2100/year. Over a 3 year lease, 6300. You're really unlucky or a poor owner if you have to sink more than 3k into an old car.
If the used car lasts you the 7 years of med school+short residency, you're coming out ~8k on top with the used car assuming additional 500/year maintenance that you wouldn't need for a leased car.

2-3k on a car suggests that it's 10+ years old. Once you get to that point, anything and everything is breakable. A car that old won't last another 7 years without a significant investment in both time and money. it's not worth the effort. you're already borrowing money, consider a new (cheap) car another necessity, just like your daily starbucks.

2-3k on a car suggests that it's 10+ years old. Once you get to that point, anything and everything is breakable. A car that old won't last another 7 years without a significant investment in both time and money. it's not worth the effort. you're already borrowing money, consider a new (cheap) car another necessity, just like your daily starbucks.
Yes. 10 years is fine lol. Regular maintenance and inspection will keep a car going for 20 years. Very few parts of a car break out of the blue. You guys seriously overestimate the fragility and randomness of old cars. Have you owned one? Do you know a lot of people who do?

And no daily starbucks isn't a necessity either lmao. Daily Folgers, sure. Not Starbucks.
Spending problem

Yes. 10 years is fine lol. Regular maintenance and inspection will keep a car going for 20 years. Very few parts of a car break out of the blue. You guys seriously overestimate the fragility and randomness of old cars. Have you owned one? Do you know a lot of people who do?

And no daily starbucks isn't a necessity either lmao. Daily Folgers, sure. Not Starbucks.
Spending problem

Yes, I used to be pretty poor and we had a string of old cars so I'm speaking from experience. Things break down unexpectedly and at the most inopportune times. It ended up costing as much per month as a reasonable new car like a hyundai elantra, honda accord, toyota corolla, etc. would. Trying to get a ride when your car doesn't work is a huge pain. 20 years is a stretch, how many old cars do you see on the roads?

Yes, I used to be pretty poor and we had a string of old cars so I'm speaking from experience. Things break down unexpectedly and at the most inopportune times. It ended up costing as much per month as a reasonable new car like a hyundai elantra, honda accord, toyota corolla, etc. would. Trying to get a ride when your car doesn't work is a huge pain. 20 years is a stretch, how many old cars do you see on the roads?
Fair enough. I'm struggling to think of things that break without warning. There's a few, but not many. Last person I heard say that had their serpentine belt snap...

Not many, but as I've implied a few times, many people suck at taking care of their car. When you're making decent money an older car isn't worth the minor hassle. If you can take care of the old car, you're very likely to save money on the old car. A big problem might run you $1500. If you're unlucky and have a bad tranny, you have 200-300 from scrap to go to a new old car. Cost ~2000. Probably won't be unexpected at the least. Still, over 7 years vs a 175/mo lease, you're coming out 6k+ ahead. I wouldn't recommend buying a junker though, you'll have to spend a few weekends per year working on it. More than worth it imo

Surprised at the Craigslist hate...it's a great place to find used cars, we've been doing it my whole life. Yes, you have to check it out in person and test drive it, but you have to do that with dealers, too.

Car repairs happen. They happen with newer cars, used cars bought from the dealer, and used cars from Craigslist or the side of the road. You should never own a car without figuring at least one major ($500-$1000) repair or purchase for it every couple of years. You will need tires, brakes, etc., and on the lucky years that you miss all of those, your suspension will require an $800 fix or you'll be tired, hit that massive pothole going 65mph, and wind up needing a rim or something. Owning a car requires money, but that's true to a certain extent no matter which car you have. I'd rather throw in an extra repair off the bat than lose thousands just for driving it off the lot or because the dealer upcharged me due to my 2 X chromosomes.

We don't see new cars on the road because everyone chucks them and buys new ones, and because states somehow think that throwing cars away and having them rust in a junkyard is more environmentally friendly than letting them finish their useful lives with slightly lower emissions standards than the average new car. Never mind the energy and materials invested in making the damn thing to begin with. I've had several that were 15-20yrs old or more, ran great.

I've had old cars all my life too, and it's never been a big deal. Certainly never to the point where the cost evened out to the monthly payment for a new car, good lord that's ridiculous. I see plenty of new cars sitting on the side of the road waiting for tow trucks, though (I know, I know, sample bias, most people drive newer cars) and my family members have been just as inconvenienced with their newer cars as we ever were with our Craigslist specials.