Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

how does us news rank medical schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WHOOP8002, Mar 31, 2004.

1. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am must likely going to TCOM next year. I am still trying to decide between TCOM and an out of state school. At the Spring Fling, we were told that TCOM was ranked 20th out of all medical schools for primary care. I just want to know how they rank the schools. Should I decide on a school solely based on prestige. It is complicated because there are so many things to consider when picking a med school.

2. DreamJob

DreamJob Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes! I think you should consider only prestige when picking a medical school.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

JPH...that is EXACTLY what i was going to put!!!

5. lolablue

lolablue Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i am laughing my ass off!!:laugh:

it's the witty one-liners that i often find the funniest of all...

6. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I don't get it. Is this about big boobs again?

7. 1max2nv

1max2nv Registered ABUSER
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if u do have the us news magazine please help others out :) what are the top 20

8. bgibney

bgibney Member
    10+ Year Member

Whoop -

If I were in your position again these are the things that I would consider, from the things I think matter most to least:

1. Can you see yourself living in this area for 4 years? That is, do you have family, a relationship, etc...that will come in to play here. I think this is important because if you are miserable where you live, then chances are you won't enjoy medical school (that is, if there is such a thing as enjoying med school).

2. Do you like the way the curriculum is set up? Is the school run on a systems based curriculum, or a traditional? How are the class hours (8-5, 8-12, etc...)? What is the testing schedule? This typically falls into two types, the block exams (a huge exam about every month) or weekly, usually monday exam.

3. Where are the rotations, and are they good rotations?

4. How are the electives set up, and are there any limits in place on how you can run them?

5. Money - regardless of what you do, you will be able to pay off your loan...it may not be fun to do, but you will make enough money to pay it off, even if you do FP.

6. Match list - if the school is placing students at good locations or top specialties, it certainly says volumes about what others feel about the school.

Good luck, and remember that it is ultimately your decision, and where you feel you will be happiest and perform you best, go there. I

BG

Phoenix628 likes this.
  9. bigdreamer#1

bigdreamer#1 I'm ok, your ok!!!
    10+ Year Member

10. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Membership Revoked
    Removed

How rankings are determined:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/05med_meth_brief.php

Medicine Methodology

The 125 medical schools fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education plus the 19 schools of osteopathic medicine fully accredited by the American Osteopathic Association were surveyed for the ranking of research medical schools; 119 schools provided the data needed to calculate the research rankings based on the indicators used in the research model. The same medical and osteopathic schools were surveyed for the primary-care ranking; 119 schools provided the data needed to calculate the primary-care ranking. Both rankings are based on a weighted average of seven indicators, six of them common to both models. The research model factors in research activity; the primary-care model adds a measure of the proportion of graduates entering primary-care specialties.

Quality assessment(weighted by .40): Peer assessment surveys were conducted in the fall of 2003, asking medical and osteopathic school deans, deans of academic affairs, and heads of internal medicine or the directors of admissions to rate program quality on a scale of "marginal" (1) to "outstanding" (5). Survey populations were asked to rate program quality for both research and primary-care programs separately on a single survey instrument. The response rate was 56 percent. A research school's average score is weighted .20; the average score in the primary-care model is weighted .25. Residency program directors were also asked to rate programs using the same 5-point scale on two separate survey instruments. One survey dealt with research and was sent to a sample of residency program directors in fields outside primary care including surgery, psychiatry, and radiology. The other survey involved primary care and was sent to residency directors in those fields. The response rate for those sent the research survey was 28 percent. The response rate for those sent the primary-care survey was also 28 percent. Residency directors' opinions are weighted .20 in the research model and .15 in primary care.

Research activity (.30 in research model only): Activity was measured as the total dollar amount of National Institutes of Health research grants awarded to the medical school and its affiliated hospitals, averaged for 2002 and 2003. An asterisk indicates schools that reported only research grants to their medical school in 2003.

Primary-care rate (.30 in primary-care model only): The percentage of M.D. school graduates entering primary-care residencies in the fields of family practice, pediatrics, and internal medicine was averaged over 2001, 2002, and 2003.

Student selectivity (.20 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): This includes three components, which describe the class entering in fall 2003: mean composite Medical College Admission Test score (65 percent), mean undergraduate grade-point average (30 percent), and proportion of applicants accepted (5 percent).

Faculty resources (.10 in research model, .15 in primary-care model): Resources were measured as the ratio of full-time science and clinical faculty to full-time M.D. students in 2003.

Overall rank: The research-activity indicator had significant outliers; to avoid distortion, it was transformed using a logarithmic function. Indicators were standardized about their means, and standardized scores were weighted, totaled, and rescaled so that the top school received 100; other schools received their percentage of the top score.

Specialty rankings: The rankings are based solely on ratings by medical school deans and senior faculty at peer schools.They each identified up to 10 schools offering the best programs in each specialty area. Those receiving the most nominations appear here.

11. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I did not realize that the 2005 list was already out! TCOM is now ranked 26th which is pretty impressive. I should have also applied to MSU. Well, the other school I am interested in is DMU. I know that I like the atmosphere there because the students and faculty are the friendliest I have met so far. I have family in the midwest so I think I would be happy living up there. The match list is good and bad. Some students got some really prestigious residencies and several got into some tough specialties but others ended up in tiny community hospitals. DMU has a much larger class than TCOM (200 vs. 125) so that might explain why there were a few more students with mediocre residencies. I guess I will do well no matter where I go if I work my a$$ off. I have the Air Force scholarship. I am not sure if that will help me get a residency in EM or not. Well, I need to make a decision soon.:scared: