how easy is it to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

supernareg

get an ER doctor position as a D.O?

i'm wondering if i should goto the caribbean or goto a D.O. school if i dont get accepted into a US-allo.

my goal is to do trauma surgery or emergency medicine. i know as a DO i'll never do trauma surgery, but how likely is it that i can work in the ER?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm wondering if i should goto the caribbean or goto a D.O. school if i dont get accepted into a US-allo.

my goal is to do trauma surgery or emergency medicine. i know as a DO i'll never do trauma surgery, but how likely is it that i can work in the ER?
Shut up.

:bullcrap: :beat: :spam: +pity+ :sleep:

So, anway....I just wanted to tell you all that my horse is going to be just fine with some weight gain, Sanjaya is off of American Idol, and it is going to be 74 here tomorrow. All is right in the world. :biglove: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha... you really did ask for that response above.

I think generally any questions regarding Carib vs. DO should be posted in the Pre-Allo forum. It is pretty obvious where the people in this the Pre-Osteo Forum stand on this issue. Oh and wait.. there are hundreds of threads on this topic already.

If you just want an answer to the second question, it's pretty much exactly what you would guess: ER is competitive for both DO and MD students and you will have an advantage if you take the MD route for the Allo residency spots... but it really comes down to your performance as an individual. You can quickly look through the threads if you would like more information.

My advice, since you seem to have limited interest in the DO route, would be to consider improving your application and reapplying for US-Allo schools.

Good luck to you regardless of your view of DO.

It was nice, other than the welcoming committee out front. What would you like to know specifically?

LOL! Oh I don't know, how to get them to give me money I guess...:rolleyes: :laugh: Maybe more about the population of wild chickens too.:D

I am really happy. I will be graduating in couple of weeks. :)

i know as a DO i'll never do trauma surgery

Recent PCOM General Surgery grad is completing a trauma surgery fellowship at UPENN.

There are 2 DOs in that program now.

In fact, they have had at least on DO in their program (total 9 fellows) every year since 2003.

Go to the caribbean. :thumbup:

:bullcrap: :beat: :spam: +pity+ :sleep:

Sanjaya is off of American Idol :biglove: :laugh:

I know... I cannot beleive that I wasted 45 minutes continuously voting for Sanjaya just for my votes to not count.

Things are not right with the world!

i know as a DO i'll never do trauma surgery, QUOTE]

I would like you to meet Jay E. Coates Jr., D.O.
Assistant Professor of Surgery, UNSOM Department of Surgery/Division of Trauma & Critical Care
UMC Trauma Center
Program Director, Trauma and Critical Care Fellowship
Vice Chairman, Trauma Department, UMC
Director Visiting Resident Program
http://www.unr.edu/med/residency/lasvegas/surgery/faculty/Jay_Coates.asp
And a very nice guy in person. You two should talk.

Also a DMU alum:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow...You've kind of evolved like Simon in american idol. You used to think of creative and different ways...now you just cut straight to the point. :p

I know... I cannot beleive that I wasted 45 minutes continuously voting for Sanjaya just for my votes to not count.

LMAO!!! That really sucks!:laugh: :smuggrin: Sorry!

i wanted sanjaya to win also
too bad it didn't work out :(
:hijacked:

What/who gave you the idea that you will never be a trauma surgeon as a D.O.? There is a D.O. on the series "Trauma: Life in the ER" when they were filming at Grant Medical Center. Want more proof? Do a google search "D.O. trauma surgery" I believe there is a D.O. trauma surgeon on faculty at Yale and WashU. As for EM go visit the Emergency Medicine forums, or check out D.O school match lists...there are tons of D.O.'s in EM.

i know as a DO i'll never do trauma surgery, but how likely is it that i can work in the ER?

If you really think that go Caribbean...

I was accepted to allo school and chose D.O school, why because I liked the school more, and I want to do transplant or trauma surgery. If you already as a pre-med sure that being a D.O will hurt your chances of going for trauma surgery go Carribean....

wait a minute... you can do anything you want to as a DO?? I NEVER would have known. i'm SO glad I clicked on this thread! ;)

your arrogance shows that you are not cut up to be DO in the first place. just go to carrib. and do us all a big favor...

i just checked the trauma docs for my hometown (pop. of 250,000), all ivy leaguers except for the DO from Kansas...

i wanted sanjaya to win also
too bad it didn't work out :(
:hijacked:

Oh, I didn't care if Sanjaya won, I just wanted to see Simon quit the show.
Actually, I have never even seen an entire episode of American Idol.

Oh, I didn't care if Sanjaya won, I just wanted to see Simon quit the show.
Actually, I have never even seen an entire episode of American Idol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He wouldn't have quit anyway. I am sure he is getting paid way too much money to leave.:smuggrin:

Isn't the real issue whether or not kittens were harmed in the making of docBR's avatar? Doctormom, you should be all over this! :scared: ;)

1. DO schools like MD are medical schools in America, so they both have an upper hand over any foreign schools.

2. Caribbean schools fare well in US over other foreign schools, so i suggest you to go to caribbean if your choice is between that and some other foreign school.

3. Never ever think DO schools are something inferior and should be chosen as a back up..you like it or you dont. If you want to go to caribbean go ahead, but realize that American doctors r gonna be a step head during residency not coz of any sort of superiority..it's always been like this.

I interviewed at NYCOM last month and was just looking at their match list from last year. I counted at least 14 emergency medicine residencies and 7 general surgery, there are prob more, but I was rushing through the list. So hopefully that answers your question.

For DO EM matching ability, talk to a super-nice admin who goes by DrMom. Her avatar is an ostrich.

BTW DO's can do trauma surgery. Methinks it's a fellowship after a 5-year residency, and DO's have surgery residencies just like MD's.

For DO EM matching ability, talk to a super-nice admin who goes by DrMom. Her avatar is an ostrich.

BTW DO's can do trauma surgery. Methinks it's a fellowship after a 5-year residency, and DO's have surgery residencies just like MD's.

possibly avatar change to a horse

Actually it's an emu.

possibly avatar change to a horse
No, DrMom, not DoctorMom78.