How essential are upper level biology courses for the new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools still only require the two semesters of General Biology. However, given the new MCAT, how high-yield are courses such as Genetics, Cell Physiology, Anatomy and Physiology of Vertebrates, Microbiology, and Biophysical Chemistry? I'm a Psych major so I would have to schedule these classes in ahead of time if they are very helpful for the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry for sure if you haven't taken it yet. Animal physiol or equivalent too, but I've heard of some people not taking it before the mcat. Genetics/cell physiol/anatomy could def help on the harder sections of the mcat so if you have time, take some upper level science courses.

Biochemistry for sure if you haven't taken it yet. Animal physiol or equivalent too, but I've heard of some people not taking it before the mcat. Genetics/cell physiol/anatomy could def help on the harder sections of the mcat so if you have time, take some upper level science courses.
For the most part this, although I'd argue that anatomy may not be too useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem, biochem, and more biochem.

Physiology could be helpful, but everything else you can learn from Bio 1. The important thing is being able to interpret journal articles. All of the advanced stuff will be in the passage.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Upper-level, seminar-style biology classes will be useful because they will teach you to analyze the very same sort of data you will encounter on the MCAT (in the hardest questions, anyway).

Reactions: 1 users
biochem is pretty essential. cell biology and genetics have really helped me, but i suggest taking a practice test and checking out your problem areas to see what stuck in your head and what didn't.

Most schools still only require the two semesters of General Biology. However, given the new MCAT, how high-yield are courses such as Genetics, Cell Physiology, Anatomy and Physiology of Vertebrates, Microbiology, and Biophysical Chemistry? I'm a Psych major so I would have to schedule these classes in ahead of time if they are very helpful for the new MCAT.

I found genetics and A&P very helpful. and definitely biochem!!

Upper-level, seminar-style biology classes will be useful because they will teach you to analyze the very same sort of data you will encounter on the MCAT (in the hardest questions, anyway).

So a seminar course on say, Muscles and Movement or Immunology, would be more beneficial than a Genetics course (w/ lab) in terms of just getting used to reading scientific articles?

I found Biochem and Physiology to be very helpful. Other than that, introductory science courses and a decent MCAT subject review guide were sufficient (in my experience).

IMO the more bio classes you have under your belt the better. I recall several questions that I specifically got right because I took biochem, cancer bio, stem cell bio, genetics of human disease, and biostats.

Of course, you could learn the same material from a prep book or whatever, but I definitely felt the coursework gave me a boost.

At my school we don't have General Bio so I had to take Cell Bio/Physio/Biochem/Genetics. I would say you can skip Cell Bio and Genetics, Physio and Biochem were pretty helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO the more bio classes you have under your belt the better. I recall several questions that I specifically got right because I took biochem, cancer bio, stem cell bio, genetics of human disease, and biostats.

Of course, you could learn the same material from a prep book or whatever, but I definitely felt the coursework gave me a boost.

This. As a non-science major studying for the MCAT, I have definitely had to adjust my content review in order to cover things that other people already know. I have taken General Biology 1 and 2, Cell Biology, and Biochem.

Even on the old MCAT I found the content from human phys to be much more helpful than bio 1 and 2. I don't think anatomy is as important, but genetics and microbio may be.

These are the courses that helped me:

1. Microbio
2. Molecular
3. Biochem
4. Genetics
5. Embryology
6. Immunology

I would say upper level courses give you a significant advantage on the MCAT as you will be over prepared for the concepts asked on the exam.

It goes against SDN gospel a little but yes I did think it significantly helped to have taken a number of upper level bio courses before the MCAT. Genetics was probably the most applicable or relevant to the MCAT but the biggest thing is these classes often require you to think conceptually, put ideas together and really familiarize yourself with the material. Many upper level courses also involve reading scientfic literature and analyzing it and analyzing data which is what the MCAT is all about. There were at least 2-3 passages on the MCAT that were experiments that by and large were very similar to common experiments you would learn if you took an upper level class in that subject(ie immuno, microbio etc). I wouldn't have done well on them if I hadnt taken the relevant upper level courses.

It's not the highest yield thing in the world, but on the aggregate I found taking a bunch of them really made a noticeable difference, especially for the courses you actually keep up and engage with the material not just cram the night before.

Aside from biochemistry (which is basically required), you should take research-intensive classes (or better yet, work in a research lab). Developing and sharpening the skills to critically read, analyze and evaluate a scientific paper is invaluable, both for the MCAT and throughout the medical career. Specifically, try to focus on what the figures and data are trying to say, and assess whether the conclusions made are sound.

So a seminar course on say, Muscles and Movement or Immunology, would be more beneficial than a Genetics course (w/ lab) in terms of just getting used to reading scientific articles?

If the Genetics course is not seminar-style, then yes, for MCAT purposes. However, this must be weighed against the fact that many medical schools now strongly recommend taking Genetics in your undergraduate career. So Genetics will help you in the long run but for MCAT purposes, a seminar-style course will help you more. Ideally, you would take both - the seminar-style one now before the MCAT and Genetics after.

If the Genetics course is not seminar-style, then yes, for MCAT purposes. However, this must be weighed against the fact that many medical schools now strongly recommend taking Genetics in your undergraduate career. So Genetics will help you in the long run but for MCAT purposes, a seminar-style course will help you more. Ideally, you would take both - the seminar-style one now before the MCAT and Genetics after.

So, in a sense, both for MCAT and long-run, adding a biology major or minor is helpful? I love biology so its not a problem at all, just will require some planning.

So, in a sense, both for MCAT and long-run, adding a biology major or minor is helpful? I love biology so its not a problem at all, just will require some planning.

I didn't say that. I would think a couple extra courses in upper-level biology would be helpful but there's no need to jump through all the hoops and declare a biology minor.

In this order I think:

Biochemistry > Physiology > Genetics

Any class can help *in theory* if it can help you better engage with scientific literature, interpret data, learn how to connect concepts from separate disciplines and apply it to a never-before-seen system.