How far down do people typically match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOnc2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the countdown to match day is killing me, as I am sure it is killing many of us. Can some of the current residents let us know how far down their match list they matched? The only residents who seem to tell me in person always tell me they got their number one haha, but I know that isn't true for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As always the people who tend to post in this forum are generally above the average quota, so I wouldn't give too much credence to the fact that most of the posters on the above link matched at #1 or #2. Obviously it depends on the strength of your application, who you know, and whether you have been interviewing "in your league," and even after all that there is a measure of luck of the draw. From those I have talked to I think those qualified enough to match generally match in their top third/ top half. I had a reasonable CV, ranked 15, matched at #5 at a place I liked but had no connections to.

Anyone care to differ? Other opinions?

I matched at #2, ranked 14

I matched at #1 (thanks be to God :)), ranked 10 and am thankful that I didn't extend the madness beyond that number.

Congrats to all of you guys. Would you consider yourself top-tier or mid-tier candidates though? I was lucky enough to get a bunch of interviews, but I'd def consider myself a mid-tier candidate for rad onc. Obviously, I'm looking for the 30 days until match day to go quickly.

Oh I'm definitely a top tier kind of guy - just didn't end up at a program that most think fits that description ;)

Take a deep breath and relax. Over-analyzing this thing to death gets you nowhere but hooked on Benzos. Your list is in, it's all up to the radonc Gods now and nothing can be done to change it. Now is the time to sit your butt on the couch and watch old episodes of MASH or something. I'd stay away from SDN until post-match when you'll be on here posting your good news! Seriously though, cheeeeaal.