How far in advance to take CASPER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I won't be able to avoid taking CASPER because my state school requires it. I am planning to apply in 2023.

Does it need to be recent as "within the past couple months" or can I take it over winter break? Winter break would be 5-6 months before my application cycle. I know technically the 2022 cycle will still be going on at that time, so I don't know if that would be too early.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi -

I know I won't be able to avoid taking CASPER because my state school requires it. I am planning to apply in 2023.

Does it need to be recent as "within the past couple months" or can I take it over winter break? Winter break would be 5-6 months before my application cycle. I know technically the 2022 cycle will still be going on at that time, so I don't know if that would be too early.

Thank you!
Wait until next app cycle or you will have to redo it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can begin to think about the exam. We have resources on the forums and that we promote (either through our sponsors or our partners):

You should wait until you are ready to submit your application (calendar year of application), and most will gear up for a few weeks before taking the Altus assessments themselves. The score is only valid for one application cycle, and you take the exam once for all the programs that require it.

Becoming a Student Doctor has compiled the official Altus resources and our SDN articles that address how to approach Casper situations. Here are some of the links in the resource:

Reactions: 1 user
You can begin to think about the exam. We have resources on the forums and that we promote (either through our sponsors or our partners):

You should wait until you are ready to submit your application (calendar year of application), and most will gear up for a few weeks before taking the Altus assessments themselves. The score is only valid for one application cycle, and you take the exam once for all the programs that require it.

Becoming a Student Doctor has compiled the official Altus resources and our SDN articles that address how to approach Casper situations. Here are some of the links in the resource:

Bookmarked! This was very helpful. (You always are!) Thank you. :)

Reactions: 1 user