How far is your closest MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With most medical schools in urban areas, and statistically more pre meds in urban areas than not, I bet that I live farther away from a medical school than most.

The closest MD school is about 100 miles away, but it is OOS. My state school is about 150 miles away.

The nearest DO school is about 200 miles from me

Members don't see this ad.

Where I'm living right now? 212 miles. (I live in the boondocks right now) But I'll be moving back to my home state and the distance there will be less than 20.

10 miles away. How is this relevant towards anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
3 miles away.... but didn't give me a interview.

I think the real question is, how far is the nearest white castle?

From where I from: 129 miles aways

From where I'm sitting: ~80 miles away

Five medical schools (4 MD, 1 DO) between 6 and 10 miles from our home.

Last edited:
About 1 block away from my residence hall.

Members don't see this ad :)
10 minutes - UCI

When I was in undergrad, it was about 3 hours either north or south (as in, there were 3 schools about equidistant, one to the north, two to the south).

Right now, about 2 miles, but that's because I relocated to attend medical school :D

You guys are so lucky! It is a major ordeal for me to visit the closest med school, and even more so for my only in state one. I've only visited the campus once and the city only about 4 times.

i think I did a google map thing and found that there are like 40 MD schools within 300 miles of philly

i think I did a google map thing and found that there are like 40 MD schools within 300 miles of philly
Well, 300 miles from Philly includes everything from the southern edges of Boston, most of the medical schools in NY state, out to Pittsburgh, and down to southern Virginia. Makes sense.

Even within 100 miles we have the 5 schools here, Penn State, U of MD, UNDMJ-RWJ, NJMC and SOM. Even Manhattan is about 100 miles away.

From my work or university, I could take light rail to the closest med school in under 5 minutes. The next closest is a 1.5 hr drive.

One is about 22 miles away, another one is 12.5 miles away.

There's a medical school in both my hometown and where I'm living now.

now if only non-med student replied and we average all the answers. what would we get?

There's a medical school in both my hometown and where I'm living now.

My state school is only about 20 miles. The next closest is in Memphis, I believe.

Y'all were spoiled. From the area where I grew up it was four hours to the nearest med school. That was a private OOS school. My nearest state school was 6 hours away. If you count where I went to undergrad, it was 5.5 and 7.5, respectively. Unless someone is from Alaska, I bet I have you beat. Kudos if someone can guess where I'm from!

Unfortunately, it is very hard to beat my distance: 375 miles. I live in Montana, and the closest U.S. school is the University of Washington. However, ThaliaNox beats me if Canadian schools are considered, as the University of Calgary is only about 300 miles away. Furthermore, some first year sites for the University of Washington are a bit closer.

There are only two medical schools in my state, one is about 10 minutes from where I live while the other is about 50 minutes. Small state!

UW 15 - 30 minutes away dpending on Traffic

OHSU 148 miles away

PNWU 144 miles away

From where I'm sitting, about 500 feet. (University of South Florida COM). They've accepted me, but I'm waiting to hear back from one other school. :D:xf:

15 minutes to med school and 15 minutes to white castle, can that be beat lol

From dorm: About 15-20 min train ride
From home: ~40 min drive on the freeway (w/no traffic!)

15 miles, but I'm currently working on my masters there now so its 0 in that regard.

About 60 miles for me! Past that...there aren't any for like a 500 mile radius I don't believe! That's what the schools website says at least. And thalianox....you're mdapps profile says you're from Michigan!

Down the road, like a 5 minute drive.

(Btw, I don't know how some of you think in miles. 20 miles doesn't mean anything to me. I want to know how long it's going to take to get there.)

I get out of my apt. and I see UMDNJ. So about a 2 min walk.

Down the road, like a 5 minute drive.

(Btw, I don't know how some of you think in miles. 20 miles doesn't mean anything to me. I want to know how long it's going to take to get there.)

1. Trip odometer (old school).
2. Mapquest (new school).

2 hours (Hopkins and Maryland)....closest DO is 3 hours (PCOM)