jeesapeesa

anesthesiologist southern california
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
will a 270+ take you if you're from a carib school? a classmate of mine just scored mid 270s and i was just wondering if this can give you a ticket to any specialty you want. of course, transferring to another school is his choice, but what if he chose to stay?

Feb 22, 2010
US
Status
Medical Student
From my understanding, even with a 270, many doors will be closed due to the stigma associated with carib schools. Of course your friend's chances at some more competitive specialties are increased by this outstanding score, but it is a huge stretch to say that it will be a ticket to anything anywhere.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, that's an amazing score, but I was just reading a thread about some IMG student with a huge score like that who still couldn't match into his preferred specialty.

mochief2000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
timbuktu
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thats not the case at all. There is a really big difference btwn a Carib grad, and an actual IMG, or a foreigner. If someone is American, and went to the Carib for school, and receives a crazy score, 270+... There are not going to be many doors, if any that are closed. Actually, if someone gets over a 240, I know for a fact that American medical schools are very open to allowing them to transfer in and do rotations along with the rest of the class, and graduate as an American Grad! (ie. American University of Antigua, has a part of their site about students that actually did that!)Besides, if you have a great score, personality and recs, nothing can stand in your way. A 270+ throws all "stigmas" out the window..

If your a actual foreigner, than thats a different story, and they may have some difficulty but alot can be over looked with a score like that.
I like your intensity, but you are ill-informed though. Doors will be closed in certain fields, dermatology comes to mind. But its not a question of doors closing, going to a caribbean school meant doors where going to close, but the bright side is that he/she may actually have OPENED some doors that were closed before.
The whole who is better, American IMG or true FMG is like arguing which is a better car Kia or Hyundai, neither one of them are benz's so whats the point.....

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
Itll be difficult to get derm, but getting derm isnt easy for anyone, including the US grad. SGU matched a derm resident this year so anything is possible

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most IMG's or CARBI students are not even considered in the first few rounds of residency selection by most hospital's resident committee regardless of score. Many students come with 99&tile and are not picked until they have filled x number of spots with US grads.

mochief2000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
timbuktu
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You can smack Fiat sticker on a 270, it will still shine better than an Enzo.. Haha.. The truth is, when talking about stuff like this, you cant say what you personally feel about what can and cant be done. You have to look at facts and what has been acheived and what has not... SGU has matched a Derm resident, and thats not the first. So right there, your feelings are proven wrong by fact... Also, I agree with you that a person with a 250 from the carib will not have a chance against an american grad with the same score. But a score like that is out of the ball park.. we arent talking 4 door sedans, a 270 is private jet my man!! haha..

Anyways, as of now, I do not have my 270, so I dont really care what other ppl will achieve with that score.. Next month, its my turn and the ride begins! :eek:
Cool SGU got one into derm. But you don't know the circumstances of that match. It coulda been a connection. All I am saying is that a 270 is awesome (actually better than awesome, but I can't think of another word), but you will need more than that alone, but anything is possible should have been what I should have said

I guess you are flying high with a 270 (no pun intended) lol

Feb 22, 2010
US
Status
Medical Student
Good luck to you Hysaad for Step 1. Jeesapeesa, hopefully, IMG status doesn't affect your friend's chances as it would be unfortunate following such an impressive step1.

mochief2000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
timbuktu
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Most IMG's or CARBI students are not even considered in the first few rounds of residency selection by most hospital's resident committee regardless of score. Many students come with 99&tile and are not picked until they have filled x number of spots with US grads.
I very much disagree with you on this. That conclusion is field dependent. If you were actually right AMG should have a 100% match, and all that should be in the scramble should be IMGs...

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AMG's do not have 100% match for variety of reasons...poor grades, poor selection, suicide matches but what about IMG matches? If every AMG was willing to go to a community hospital, our match rate would probably be very close to 100% if not at 100%. AMG are much more selective on where they want to go with many willing to take a year off to pursue their field of interest.

You're right in that it's probably field dependent on when IMG's get considered but for the more competitive specialties, this is certainly the case. It's unfortunate because many IMG's are equally if not more qualified but we all know medicine still is a pretty snooty field.

mochief2000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
timbuktu
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AMG's do not have 100% match for variety of reasons...poor grades, poor selection, suicide matches but what about IMG matches? If every AMG was willing to go to a community hospital, our match rate would probably be very close to 100% if not at 100%. AMG are much more selective on where they want to go with many willing to take a year off to pursue their field of interest.

You're right in that it's probably field dependent on when IMG's get considered but for the more competitive specialties, this is certainly the case. It's unfortunate because many IMG's are equally if not more qualified but we all know medicine still is a pretty snooty field.

Agree with you 100%...

(I was just saying for certain fields if an IMG scored an 270 and an AMG scored 210, you can't say that the program will take you over the 270 cos your an AMG. BUT this is VERY field specific)

jeesapeesa

anesthesiologist southern california
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern California
Status
Attending Physician
he's gonna transfer and is considering neurosurgery/radiology. in the end he will graduate from a U.S. school with a 270+ step 1. i'm sure if he considered derm he can probably get it. good stuff though; he has worked hard from the start and he deserves whatever comes his way academically/professionally.

Mar 26, 2010
In my head
Status
Question: can IMGs NOT in a carib school transfer into US med schools after step 1, if they are US-IMGs? With an impressive step 1 score of course. But is transferring only for carib students because carib schools are so similar to US ones?