How good are my chances with my pcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well first time taking it and i got a 72%. Am i totally screwed now for this year? My interview went really well, my grades are really good, i have a really strong GPA and my essay went really well. Only my pcat bombed. I could have done alot better on this test if i had finished taking bio 2 and orgo 2 and physiology before i took this test but the schools wont care to hear that im sure.
I know i will do alot better next time but im just curious for people whos been through this situation if im out of luck for this year now or do i still have a good chance?
Im just looking for some encouragment and honesty cuase i feel like **** right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Superflyjsc said:
well first time taking it and i got a 72%. Am i totally screwed now for this year? My interview went really well, my grades are really good, i have a really strong GPA and my essay went really well. Only my pcat bombed. I could have done alot better on this test if i had finished taking bio 2 and orgo 2 and physiology before i took this test but the schools wont care to hear that im sure.
I know i will do alot better next time but im just curious for people whos been through this situation if im out of luck for this year now or do i still have a good chance?
Im just looking for some encouragment and honesty cuase i feel like **** right now.

So your GPA is probably around 3.7 or even better, right? You're probably near the top in GPA, you already have a bachelor's, plenty of pharmacy experience, & you feel like the essay & interview went well (well, I know your interview went well, I was there!). I think you're going to be fine. 72% isn't "bombed". You're in the top 1/3 of all test takers, and probably in the top 10% of all applicants in terms of GPA & interview results. I could be talking out my @$$ here, but average that out - I think it looks favorable for you.

I know, you won't feel better until you know you've been accepted, but I hope this helps a little. I think being in your situation is way better than scoring a 99% while interviewing poorly & earning an average GPA.

Don't listen to the above poster, you're doomed for failure

Members don't see this ad :)
OoShimmeroO said:

gosh i think you need to zip your mouth now.

I agree with BTB. Your other credentials sound great and will be taken into account since they required much more effort than the PCAT.

OoShimmeroO said:
doomed.jpg

aubieRx said:
gosh i think you need to zip your mouth now.

I agree with BTB. Your other credentials sound great and will be taken into account since they required much more effort than the PCAT.
use your sarcasm meters!

Caverject said:
use your sarcasm meters!

I don't like sarcasmmmmmmmmmmm

edit: besides, whoever posted that probably did not want to get a fistful of sarcasm thrown back at them

Reactions: 1 user
Superflyjsc said:

Honestly? You may still have a very good chance. That's not to say that if there was another opportunity to retake the PCAT and have it count toward this coming year I wouldn't advise you to retake it... I would. But, there have been people to be accepted with PCAT scores significantly lower than yours. If your GPA is high and you really think your interview went well, don't lose hope yet. :thumbup:

Don't worry about it. I know a guy who just got accepted to VCU and Shenandoah with a 3.7gpa and a 67%.

PCAT is just one Saturday... your grades are far more important. 72% isn't bad really and they made it harder this year. I didn't think it was hard considering I was still taking orgo I and finished intro bios. You're fine as long as you GPA is good, experience or volunteer and active in organizations

Superflyjsc said:

I'm sure you're fine. Remember this motto "believe, belong, become." First believe that you'll get in to pharmacy school. Then Belong in the extracurricular group activities that you find to be the most rewarding. Finally, become a doctor of pharmacy student. However, the key is first to believe in yourself that you WILL get in to pharmacy school. ;)

Best of luck! :thumbup: