How good is a 240 these days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway2020

Reaction score
Seems like everyone on here is getting 250+ nowadays. How decent is a score around 240(I got a 241) if I am applying to specialties like anesthesia or pediatrics? Not just to get into a program(I know I can just look at charting outcomes), but to get into a mid/upper-tier program.

Edit: I go to a mid-low tier MD school

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it'd eliminate you from consideration for any field, even derm, plastics, etc, but I'm just a MS2 so :shrug:, btw congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
you did better than around 70% of USMD students so that should open up lot of doors especially in those specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is not getting 250+
Lot of liars on this forum
I dont think thats a fair way of putting it. Its already been discussed several times, but its a selection bias thing.

A 240+ is something to shout about. The person who got it is ecstatic because they're above average. Others are also curious, as they want to learn what strategy they used to get that score. Thus people in this category are much more likely to speak out. This is on the whole a good thing, as it drives a community to develop refined and increasingly effective study strategies, by learning what works and what doesnt.

A 200-220 score is not outright bad, but its not above average. The person who got it isnt that pleased with it, nor are others simply bursting with enthusiasm to learn their approach. Thus these people are much less likely to share their scores and experiences. The reality is that their experiences are very helpful too; both as further evidence of the effectiveness of a strategy, and sadly, as a negative example to the community of what not to do/what to be careful of doing (starting too late, wasting time on Y, not spending enough time on X) . Finally, these experiences provide some insight to others how effective a resource was. If a guy claims he only did DIT videos and got 250, then suddenly DIT videos are on your radar. Conversely, if repeatedly a resource is cited as less helpful than others, that gets ingrained in the communities consciousness.

Sure, its ultimately self serving, and a tiny bit Machiavellian, but its genuine and works well. Certainly it works well enough that if you didnt do as well as you wished, much of that can be explained by failing to follow the template which worked well for those who got higher score.

Reactions: 1 users
240 is no good. Combine that with mid tier school and I suggest you quit while you can. There is no hope for you.

Reactions: 1 user
It's still good, close to the 70th percentile I think. No reason it shouldn't land you a good residency in anesthesia and peds if the rest of your app is solid too. Congrats on the score!