How good is Nova?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knew where this school ranks with the rest. Also if anyone knows the average GPA, MCAT for this school that would be much appreciated.

PEace:D

Members don't see this ad.

Nova is a great school. There is a ton of info. on it from previous applicants if you do a search on this forum. Also, visit their website. Good luck! :)

I can't answer your question regarding the numbers, but I can tell you that in 3 years of researching osteopathic schools the worst thing I have heard about NOVA is "It's sometimes hard to study because the weather is so nice."

Doesn't sound all that bad to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the last thing i read about nova was that their avg. MCAT was a 23 (i think) and that their avg. GPA was about a 3.3 or 3.4 (but i wouldn't take my word on that -- i think those stats may be a year or two old).

my mom thinks that the only bad thing about nova is that it is a fairly new program, but i don't really see why that is a bad thing.

my brother lives down in fort lauderdale and he hasn't heard great things about nova university (as an undergrad college), but he's heard good things about their medical school.

i went to visit nova in march and i thought it was incredible... palrm trees outside, lots of things to do in the area, relatively close to the beach... and besides all the beautiful parts of it, the academics seemed really nice. the students did say that the gym is not that great, but that's not too much of a concern for me. also, the miami dolphins practice on the campus, so i think that's pretty cool. they also have this awesome cardiology program called "harvey." (i'm pretty sure you can find more info about that on their website).

anyway, now i'm rambling. i'm headed back down to fort lauderdale in two days, and i think i may make another stop by the campus.

so those are my thoughts on nova. maybe i'm biased, but i love those palm trees :)

the numbers you stated are correct.........and also the fact that the undergrad doens't have the greatest rep.......although it has a pretty good science curriculum.............but, the med school definitely provides you with lots of opportunities and clinical experience from teh beginning......during 1st 2 yearss, you go to a doc's office 1 time a week...........and harvey is definitely something interesting to see............they spent 250 g's on it.........the exact area of teh med school aint' great, but ft lauderdale is only about a 20 minute drive and of course south beach is about 40...........

nero

My two cents (as a fourth year NSUCOM student):

Who cares what the undergrad is like. You'll NEVER see the undergrad besides going to the bookstore. The campus for the med school (and all other health professions) is apart from the undergrad.

The area the school is in is fine. Its about 10-15 minutes away from the beach. I lived there two years, can't complain.

As for the latest #s for NSUCOM, I would check the US News/WR that comes out every year. I vaguely remember those numbers being a bit higher... I glanced through it while waiting at the checkout aisle at the supermarket... I probably wasn't paying much attention though with Britney Spears on the cover of another magazine.

And as for Harvey... yeah, its pretty cool. But, whatever.

I had a great time my first two years... but NO ONE can compare it to another medical school... becuase medical school is an experience that only YOU can have. Its hard to compare NSUCOM with PCOM or NYCOM or USF or UVA... because all you're looking at is what you see on the outside. You have to be IN it to directly compare it. So my advice is to just go with what school "feels" right to you. You'll get the same damn education no matter where you go. I chose NSUCOM cause I wanted something different (i.e. FL)... and THAT'S the only reason.