How good or bad is 244 on step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuresurgeon03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my score today. Disappointed as I was aiming for 250.. especially because I am an IMG.
I want to know what are my chances or how bad is 244? I know its above average but is it good enough considering averages for all specialties is increasing...

Members don't see this ad.

1) Please google charting outcomes in the match
2) Pick the specialty you want
3) Look through the average step 1 score for non-US students (independent applicants)
4) Also compare your research etc to independent applicants
5) ????
6) profit

Reactions: 1 user
I got my score today. Disappointed as I was aiming for 250.. especially because I am an IMG.
I want to know what are my chances or how bad is 244? I know its above average but is it good enough considering averages for all specialties is increasing...

it is 14 points above the median score of USMGs...u ll have no trouble as long as rest of your application is good..

It's an awful score.

j/k, good job. It may look lower compared to the rest of the scores on SDN, but your in great shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Please google charting outcomes in the match
2) Pick the specialty you want
3) Look through the average step 1 score for non-US students (independent applicants)
4) Also compare your research etc to independent applicants
5) ????
6) profit

I have no clue what you trying to say....

That's about 75th percentile. That means you did better than 75% of people who take the exam (that includes all American med students, IMGs, etc). IMGs still have an uphill battle in general but you're not going to get screened out b/c of your score. Good job.