How happy were you when you got your first med school acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about at work (I work in an ER as a scribe) getting the call and feeling my pulse hit about 200 bpm for a good hour and getting congrat hugs from all the nurses and techs. My patients wondered what the heck was going on! No one or nothing could wipe the smile off my face baby! :D Then finishing the shift to go home to a good nights rest after pizza and champagne!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

My acceptance feels so long ago, but I still remember it. I was waitlisted at three schools. I had applied late in the application cycle and did not send out AMCAS until October (I hadn't spend much time on SDN back then, or I would have never let that happen!). Anyway:

May 15th passed, I was still waitlisted.

June 1st passed, still waitlisted. At that point I planned on doing a master's degree in molecular biology, because I thought my chances of attending medical school were over.

July 1st passed, no word except a rejection from one of the waitlisted schools.

August 1st passed, still no word.

Then on August 3rd (a Wednesday), two days before orientation was to start at my top waitlisted school, I got the call saying that I was in. The dean of admissions had woken me up while I was sleeping, but I didn't care. I cried my eyes out when she told me, and then proceeded to call my mother, who cried her eyes out.

I think had I not gotten in to medical school that year, I might not have reapplied. I already had about 22,000 worth of debt from undergrad, and was going to add on about 18,000 a year doing a masters. Add in the fact that I was already a non-trad and I just don't know if I would have had the resources and time to do the entire application process again.

Four years have passed since that day, and I'm all set to graduate (tomorrow!!!). Time flies by so fast. Enjoy your remainding free time and congrats on all of your acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first acceptance didn't come until about eight months after I had submitted AMCAS. Even then, the interview was to my top choice in late February. That it was so late, combined with three post-interview waitlists and ~10 rejections...I wasn't optimistic.

So in my year off I've been teaching school near my home, and it came the week after my interview. There was a knock at my class door, I go to open it, and it's my father. He had just checked the mail, saw a thin envelope stuffed to the brim with acceptance stuff. He left work, came to the school and got one of those ugly visitor name badges at the front office and came to my classroom to give it to me. We stood out in the hall and hugged. It was one of the coolest things anyone's ever done for me.

It was such an awesome feeling. I was certain by all the failure I'd have to reapply and was looking into graduate programs. At that point I just gave up on the day. I gave the kids their work, but didn't give a crap the rest of the day while I texted all my friends and completely brushed aside my own work. (Please, those of you that know me please don't relay this story to the school board. :))

I remember being accepted. Even though I was a very old non-traditional student, I wanted to go to an allopathic school and I wanted to be accepted to my in-state school, although I was applying everywhere. Several of my SDN friends who interviewed the same week I did got their acceptances, and I heard nothing. This was right before Christmas. I started my Christmas break from work - and slept every morning until the mailman came around noon - non-chemical anesthesia.

Anyhoo... the University of Oklahoma always sends your acceptance in a "BRE" - Big Red Envelope. One morning, I went out to the mailbox, saw red, and thought it was a Christmas card. I was just about to close the box when I realized that it was too big to be a Christmas card. I let out an incredible whoop - and I was standing outside in freezing weather in my bathrobe (what I didn't know was that students who were awarded a scholarship took an additional week to process).

Knowing it was an acceptance envelope, there was really no drama in tearing the envelope open. But I laughed and cried at the same time for probably 20 minutes - and just ended-up with snot everywhere. Good thing I was alone - for a 43-year-old grown man, it wasn't attractive. I waited until I cooled-off to call my mother - and started blubbering again when I tried to talk. It took a good 5 minutes for her to understand what I was trying to say.

Of course, before every test block in first year, I'd always think, "what the h*ll was I so excited about??" :laugh:

your story made me tear up into my morning coffee- i love reading these stories.

I gave a few fist pumps and drove home with the windows down and the music blaring.

i love these stories. keep 'em comin.

How about at work (I work in an ER as a scribe) getting the call and feeling my pulse hit about 200 bpm for a good hour and getting congrat hugs from all the nurses and techs. My patients wondered what the heck was going on! No one or nothing could wipe the smile off my face baby! :D Then finishing the shift to go home to a good nights rest after pizza and champagne!:cool:

PS - this story was the inspiration for me to order pizza last night, even though I had my wisdom teeth out 3 days ago and couldn't really chew, i had an incredible craving for pizza after reading this :)

Well I have yet to apply but I can gurantee you if/ when I get accepted ANYWHERE I will be completely off-the-wall balls-out out-of-my-mind overjoyed. I will probably be doing kartwheels in my living room, tell my ******* boss at work to eff off, call every distant relative I have and scream the news through the phone, then go to the bar with my friends and buy rounds for everybody there.

Yes, I will be THAT happy. No joke. :D

Well I have yet to apply but I can gurantee you if/ when I get accepted ANYWHERE I will be completely off-the-wall balls-out out-of-my-mind overjoyed. I will probably be doing kartwheels in my living room, tell my ******* boss at work to eff off, call every distant relative I have and scream the news through the phone, then go to the bar with my friends and buy rounds for everybody there.

Yes, I will be THAT happy. No joke. :D

Excellent. Just make sure you cab it home :)

I kept on finding out about acceptances while I was at work (at a job where no one knew I was applying and where I only recently gave notice). Thus, I had to internalize all my little tidbits of joy. Reaction to my first acceptance (after checking my e-mail early in the morning): "great news. ack! am late for meeting, must run!" I called my parents after my meeting, only to receive their voicemail. The acceptance was for a school that I felt pretty good about my chances at, so receiving the news led to more a sense of relief than exuberant excitement.

However, I remember the events leading up to my acceptance to my number one choice. I was up very early one morning to finish up some work. I was also skimming SDN threads and wondering why I hadn't received a hold e-mail (or other e-mail communication) yet since it seemed like i should have based off of my interview date. I kept on thinking that my file had gotten lost or hadn't been reviewed yet for whatever reason...and then, bam, middle of the day, i get an acceptance e-mail. Since i was at work, i pretty much just quietly marinated in my little pool of happiness for the rest of the afternoon(while also texting some close friends with the news, and then googling info on my future school).

I kept on finding out about acceptances while I was at work (at a job where no one knew I was applying and where I only recently gave notice). Thus, I had to internalize all my little tidbits of joy. Reaction to my first acceptance (after checking my e-mail early in the morning): "great news. ack! am late for meeting, must run!" I called my parents after my meeting, only to receive their voicemail. The acceptance was for a school that I felt pretty good about my chances at, so receiving the news led to more a sense of relief than exuberant excitement.

However, I remember the events leading up to my acceptance to my number one choice. I was up very early one morning to finish up some work. I was also skimming SDN threads and wondering why I hadn't received a hold e-mail (or other e-mail communication) yet since it seemed like i should have based off of my interview date. I kept on thinking that my file had gotten lost or hadn't been reviewed yet for whatever reason...and then, bam, middle of the day, i get an acceptance e-mail. Since i was at work, i pretty much just quietly marinated in my little pool of happiness for the rest of the afternoon(while also texting some close friends with the news, and then googling info on my future school).

Just wanted to say congrats on this past application cycle! Why do you think you did so well?